• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

london paddington underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaza

Hello,

I am completely new to the London underground and am planning on going from Paddington to Kings Cross on the tube. I want to buy a single ticket and was wondering where the machine or desk I would buy that from is and if I can use cash to purchase the ticket.

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
I am completely new to the London underground and am planning on going from Paddington to Kings Cross on the tube. I want to buy a single ticket and was wondering where the machine or desk I would buy that from is and if I can use cash to purchase the ticket.
The Hammersmith & City and Circle lines go from Paddington to Kings Cross St Pancras. But make sure that you head in the right direction: you need to go up onto to the bridge, as the platform you need is platform 16. Follow the signs marked 'Hammersmith & City line and Circle line via Kings Cross'. There's a map of the station here.

You can use cash to buy a ticket from the ticket machines close to the Underground ticket gates. But it is lot more expensive to purchase a ticket with cash (£4.90) than simply touching in and out on the ticket gates using a contactless card (£2.40). The TfL website has information on how to use contactless to pay-as-you-go.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello,

Thank you.
Is that your overall journey, or is it part of a longer journey? Do you have a contactless bank card?

JBuchananGB

If you have a through ticket from Bristol to York it should include travel on the Underground from Paddington to Kings Cross.

There would be a symbol known as a "maltese cross" printed on the ticket to indicate this. A little cross printed somewhere near the names of the origin and destination stations. If your ticket has this symbol, you just insert it into the slot in the barrier, pick it up again and on you go.

Just one more hint To get to Platform 16 for the train to King's Cross you go along the main platform towards the back of the train to go up to the bridge. There are two other underground stations at Paddington station!

Belperpete

Established Member
If you haven't already bought your tickets, note that sometimes it can be cheaper to buy one through ticket for the whole journey, whereas sometimes it can be cheaper to split tickets. I suggest using the raileasy/split-ticket web-site:
https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/default.aspx

If you buy a through ticket, make sure that you specify via London if you want your ticket to be valid that way. You may need to select "advanced options" or such like on a web-site. If you buy a through ticket via London, then your ticket should include the tube fare, as explained by jBuchanan.

If you split tickets, and buy separate Bristol to London and London to York tickets, then rather than buying a Bristol to Paddington ticket, you could buy a Bristol to London Zone 1 ticket which would include the underground. Or alternatively you could buy a London zone 1 to York ticket. The Raileasy site will do this for you.

Note that tickets that include the underground should only be issued on the traditional orange-card tickets, for collection at a station or posted to you. Do not buy an electronic ticket or print-at-home ticket if you are offered these options, as these tickets won't work the underground ticket barriers, and are unlikely to be accepted by the underground barrier staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.