• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Penrith or Appleby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavelex

I want to go any weekend this year, going up on Saturday and back on Sunday. Up as early in the day as I can, back as late as I can. I don't have any railcards ATM.

I currently have £14.00 up to Penrith, and £31.50 back from Appleby for November... Anyone got any ideas on how to take this any lower?

Ta

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
£14 is one of the lowest fares you will find.

Appleby costs more, because you either have to go via Carlisle (my advice there is get the bus for £1.80 single to Penrith instead) on a VWC & Connections ticket, or the shorter route via Leeds on NXEC & Connections.

The lowest fares are TOC specific without the connections. If you can go on any weekend, you should be able to find a lower fare than £31.50 coming back.

You can try splitting at Stafford/Crewe if no cheap through fares available as you may find cheap fares available for Penrith to Stafford or Crewe, and then LM fares are available at cheap prices from there to Euston via Northampton.

Oracle

Established Member
I agree...go to Penrith and catch the bus. Beware though about Sunday buses back. I ought to know but don't, the present service.

PS I can't see that there is a Sunday service. A booked local taxi might be appropriate, or one sent from Penrith to go back.

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
There doesn't appear to be a regular bus service between Appleby & Penrith on sundays .
Mon to sat bus timetable is here - approx 2-hourly service

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/Content/Internet/544/931/1099/39821143451.pdf

they are 13.5 miles by road, so it might be worth looking into how much a pre-booked taxi is to Penrith & the fares from there.
Also, look to see how much the singles to London are from Leeds - the Appleby to Leeds fare is £16.20 I have often had singles from Leeds for under £12.

alternatively, look for tickets back from Carlisle - single for appleby to Carlisle is £8.10 though the overall journey time for this will be longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.