• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London St Pancras to Lewisham surcharged on Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
My colleague has a zones 1 to 4 season ticket on Oyster and travelled from St Pancras to Lewisham on Monday night via London Bridge, using Thameslink and Southeastern. The prepay balance was charged £2.40 even though the whole route is within zones 1 to 4. He called the Oyster helpline and got a refund (as a gesture of goodwill!) but the question is why did he get charged? The customer service agent suggested he might have gone through Stratford (using High Speed) but he entered St Pancras using the Thameslink barrier.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
£2.40 is the zone 1-2 single fare off-peak for that journey. Had the travelcard expired?

TerryD

My colleague has a zones 1 to 4 season ticket on Oyster and travelled from St Pancras to Lewisham on Monday night via London Bridge, using Thameslink and Southeastern. The prepay balance was charged £2.40 even though the whole route is within zones 1 to 4. He called the Oyster helpline and got a refund (as a gesture of goodwill!) but the question is why did he get charged? The customer service agent suggested he might have gone through Stratford (using High Speed) but he entered St Pancras using the Thameslink barrier.

Do you have the reference number your colleague got for the refund?

radamfi

Established Member
Do you have the reference number your colleague got for the refund?

He's got something like CRM001:0606000001234
incident 12551234

Is that the right format? (I've changed the numbers)

TerryD

He's got something like CRM001:0606000001234
incident 12551234

Is that the right format? (I've changed the numbers)

Yes, the format is correct - the incident is the one I'm after. I wanted to take a look at the case notes to make sure this issue is being properly investigated - although very rare, it sounds like a gate may be charging incorrect fares, or not recognising a valid Travelcard. I'll also look into the refund being offered as a 'goodwill'.

radamfi

Established Member
Yes, the format is correct - the incident is the one I'm after. I wanted to take a look at the case notes to make sure this issue is being properly investigated - although very rare, it sounds like a gate may be charging incorrect fares, or not recognising a valid Travelcard. I'll also look into the refund being offered as a 'goodwill'.

I've sent you a private message with the incident number.

TerryD

I've sent you a private message with the incident number.

Thanks. This was an issue that we're aware of on 15th October at Lewisham NR station - Gate 51 developed a fault causing it to charge incorrect fares. An engineer attended the site and fixed the issue and we haven't seen any more occurrences since then. I will be arranging for the enquiry to be discussed with the original agent who arranged the refund for your colleague.

radamfi

Established Member
Thanks. This was an issue that we're aware of on 15th October at Lewisham NR station - Gate 51 developed a fault causing it to charge incorrect fares. An engineer attended the site and fixed the issue and we haven't seen any more occurrences since then. I will be arranging for the enquiry to be discussed with the original agent who arranged the refund for your colleague.

Thanks very much! :) We honestly didn't think there would be an explanation, and certainly not one found so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.