• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals to Manchester station valid via Sheffield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
I have another question on this as it looks like my plans may change short notice with me returning to Sheffield today.

Is this same ticket "London Terminals to Manchester Stations" valid on EMR services to/via Sheffield. It is an off peak single so I thought it may be valid prior to 15:15h looking at restrictions but i'm really not sure.

That said it's dated 1st December (rather than 2nd December) so I will presumably need to pay to change the date of travel?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is this same ticket "London Terminals to Manchester Stations" valid on EMR services to/via Sheffield. It is an off peak single so I thought it may be valid prior to 15:15h looking at restrictions but i'm really not sure.
It is valid on departures from St Pancras prior to 15:15.
That said it's dated 1st December (rather than 2nd December) so I will presumably need to pay to change the date of travel?
Today is 1st December, what's the problem? This is what you said:
returning to Sheffield today.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Was reading it as if the OP already has purchased an Off Peak Single (London to Manchester) but it's dated 2nd December. @W230. Could you clarify?

Gaelan

Looks like it, yes.

For future reference, a good way to test this is to search on the National Rail website for a ticket for London-Manchester via Sheffield; if it offers the ticket you have, it must be valid.

As far as I'm aware changing the date of travel only costs money on advance tickets - you'll have to get the date changed, but it shouldn't cost anything to do so.

W230

Established Member
Thanks for the help all (and well spotted on the typo Haywain). I meant the ticket says 2nd December but I may end up travelling this afternoon!

W230

Established Member
Sorry yes, and it has been answered on the merged thread (I didn't realise they go merged now so missed it!)

It was a typo though -the ticket is dated tomorrow (2nd December) but I may end up travelling this afternoon. Thanks all

Haywain

Veteran Member
I meant the ticket says 2nd December but I may end up travelling this afternoon!
In which case, changing the date is a matter of refunding the ticket and buying a new one.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
In which case, changing the date is a matter of refunding the ticket and buying a new one.
For which no admin fee should be charged where the original purchase and new purchase were made directly from a TOC.

Arguably the same should apply for online purchases, but YMMV.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have another question on this as it looks like my plans may change short notice with me returning to Sheffield today.

Yes, that's valid. In fact there is even a 'via Chesterfield' route of fare you can buy, should you wish. In this case the Any Permitted happens to be cheaper for a single, since Avanti prices Off-Peak Singles at 70% of a return whilst EMR have stuck to the traditional '£1 less' BR pricing model.

As you say, restriction code 2C allows you to leave St Pancras between 10:26 and 15:15, or from 18:59 onwards.

In theory you could rely on the strike-related easement to use your existing ticket today (1 December) but given that the strike doesn't actually affect your journey (ASLEF's action on Avanti is on Sunday) that may be a bit of a stretch. Unfortunately you may have to pay an admin fee if you can't get a ticket office to excess your ticket to today for free - and in my experience, the Euston ticket office staff are not the most friendly or helpful people.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An excess fare is not applicable to a change of date.
The ability to change the date for a ticket is described under the iKB Excess Procedures...

Haywain

Veteran Member
The ability to change the date for a ticket is described under the iKB Excess Procedures...
There still won't be a TIS function for changing the date. But what is explained is how much to charge, not how to do it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, presumably can be done, yes? Is any fee chargeable? Or is a refund, and a new ticket purchase more likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.