• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals to Shoreditch High Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

1D53

Established Member
I was looking at a way of travelling from Kings Cross round to Shoreditch High Street on a National Rail ticket. National Rail suggests Shoreditch isn't a London Terminal and therefore am I right in thinking a London Terminals to Shoreditch High Street is a valid ticket for travelling Kings Cross to Shoreditch High Street? Even more oddly the only ticket is routed 'via Surrey Quays'?

East Coast offer the fare as £5.80 via tube to Highbury and Islington and then LOROL.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries is confused. It says you must go from Moorgate, changing at Highbury and Islington, and from Kings Cross you must buy the £4.70 ticket.

Okay, I give up. If you choose a journey from "London" to Shoreditch High Street it makes you start from Moorgate, but if you then click on the £3.10 fare and choose "Other services you can travel on" with this ticket it then shows exclusively itineraries starting at Kings Cross, taking the tube to Highbury and Islington!

And now I search again, it now says services from Kings Cross are not valid. Okay. The ticket is seemingly intended for travel from a London Terminal in the South, via New Cross or New Cross Gate then on the LOROL northwards from there; but it will show itineraries from Moorgate, and as tickets are interavailable between Kings Cross, Moorgate and Finsbury Park, and Highbury and Islington is between those three 'triangle' of stations, I would hazard a guess you would have no problem with it.

Edit, the "£3.10 fare" is the single, the return is indeed £5.80.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Due to the "unique" way London fares are set, I believe that the "correct" ticket for a journey to Shoreditch High Street from a London Terminal would be Zone U12 - Shoreditch High Street, as all of the routes would involve a journey via Zone 2 to change onto the ELL. This would be £4.70 Single for cash, or £2.20 Off-Peak/£2.80 Peak on Oyster/Contactless.

The cheaper "London Terminals" route appears to apply for journeys from the former Southern Region terminals, changing onto the ELL at New Cross/New Cross Gate. Having said that, however, Chiltern's WebTIS will offer the lower fare for Moorgate - Highbury - Shoreditch as well, so I'm stumped!

1D53

Established Member
East Coast will happily route me London Terminals - Shoreditch High Street via KGX-FPK-HHY-SDC so not using the Underground at all. The same price fare exists from Finsbury Park but is routed 'NOT UNDERGROUND'.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Makes for interesting reading this one. We all know the shortest route (from a London Terminal in this case) is permitted, and we know that if there were any direct trains, they would be permitted.

Looking at the Routeing Guide, Shoreditch has Associated Routeing Points of Highbury and Islington, Stratford (London) and Surrey Quays. Those of you who don't believe in obvious routeing points can start doing your calculations now....

The rest of us (so that'll just be me then), can look at the options. Highbury and Islington seems like the most obvious choice as it is the only one of the three to have direct links to origin and destination. If we admit that it is the obvious choice, then maps HI and KP are appropriate and KP shows a route from Kings Cross to Highbury and Islington via Finsbury Park. Highbury and Islington may not be obvious though.....

Those who have looked at fares checks may well have hit upon the problem that all Routeing Points fail the Fares Check. So I guess you have to believe that only the shortest route is permitted.

Anyone care to look up the shortest route from a London Terminal?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone care to look up the shortest route from a London Terminal?
According to the network rail data (which booking engines are meant to use):

• Moorgate 5 miles 24 chains (via HHY)
  • London Bridge 6 miles 62 chains (via SQE)
  • Kings Cross 6 miles 71 chains (via FPK & HHY)
  • Liverpool St 7 miles 31 chains (via BET & CNN)

Status
Not open for further replies.