• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Brighton speed record attempt in the late 1980s/early 1990s - run now found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity 225

Hi,

Back when I was a young child in the late 80s/early 90s, I travelled on a non-stop service from London to Brighton as it attempted to break the speed record between the two cities. Unfortunately, the attempt failed and I seem to recall this being something to do with an emergency brake kicking in and stopping the train for a few minutes (might not remember that 100% correctly but please forgive me, I was about 5 years old at the time! :lol:).

I was recently searching for some information about this particular record breaking attempt but can’t seem to find any record of it online, does anybody know anything about it?

If it helps, I think the attempt was sponsored or supported in some way by Lego - at the end of the attempt everyone on board was invited to a buffet where there were some really impressive Lego structures on display.

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi,

Back when I was a young child in the late 80s/early 90s, I travelled on a non-stop service from London to Brighton as it attempted to break the speed record between the two cities. Unfortunately, the attempt failed and I seem to recall this being something to do with an emergency brake kicking in and stopping the train for a few minutes (might not remember that 100% correctly but please forgive me, I was about 5 years old at the time! :lol:).

I was recently searching for some information about this particular record breaking attempt but can’t seem to find any record of it online, does anybody know anything about it?

If it helps, I think the attempt was sponsored or supported in some way by Lego - at the end of the attempt everyone on board was invited to a buffet where there were some really impressive Lego structures on display.

Many Thanks

Not your run but if you have not found it this is worth a watch!

On trivia I also recall The Cure video of London to Brighton at speeded up for the single 'Jumping Someone Else's Train' - as a Cure fan and Brighton line user at the time I have always really liked this:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Hi,

Many Thanks

An attempt was made on the 1st NSE Network day , - I think from London Bridge. ( a faster alignment) , we intended going on it , but missed it !

Midnight Sun

1953 version

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Intercity 225

Thank you for all the additional replies, the 1953 video is also worth a watch - can imagine having the footage sped up like that was pretty groundbreaking for the time.

An attempt was made on the 1st NSE Network day , - I think from London Bridge. ( a faster alignment) , we intended going on it , but missed it !

Thanks for this, am I right in thinking that was 1986? If so, that would definitely be a bit early for me - I'm almost certain the attempt I was on board would have been between 1989-1991.

dubscottie

The only run I can find was on 16/4/88. 319031/033 set a new London Bridge - Brighton record of 39m 14s.

Return Brighton - Victoria set new record of 38m 56s.

Don't know if that's the one?

4COR

I stood on platform 2 at Purley that day and watched this go through (dragging my mum and sister along - was only young!). We all had platform tickets on black (?) edged stock for something like 10p each - the ticket office staff didn't know anything about it and rung somewhere to find out the expected time, etc.

The unit (which I think was a 319 yes) had a placard on the front about the attempt - and yes, I recall that an emergency brake application (Hassocks?) ruined the attempt on the overall record.

Midnight Sun

Thank you for all the additional replies, the 1953 video is also worth a watch - can imagine having the footage sped up like that was pretty groundbreaking for the time.
It was actually very simple to do, All they did was run the camera at at about two frames per second and run the projector at 25 frames per second. Shots of the driver were when the film magazine was replaced.

This one show all three films side by side, Allowing you to see what has changed over the passed 60 years.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Intercity 225

Thank you for all the further replies

The only run I can find was on 16/4/88. 319031/033 set a new London Bridge - Brighton record of 39m 14s.

Return Brighton - Victoria set new record of 38m 56s.

Don't know if that's the one?

This could be it, from memory it was a 319 that was used and we’re in the right kind of timeframe.

Where it falls down a little is that I would’ve been 3 years old during this attempt and I’m fairly certain I was a bit older than that, albeit not by much. The attempt I was on board for was only in one direction too, after that we went to the buffet and lego exhibition - that’s not to say another record wasn’t attempted on the way back though, just that I wouldn’t have been on it.

I’ll research more into these particular attempts, thanks very much for making me aware of them.

I stood on platform 2 at Purley that day and watched this go through (dragging my mum and sister along - was only young!). We all had platform tickets on black (?) edged stock for something like 10p each - the ticket office staff didn't know anything about it and rung somewhere to find out the expected time, etc.

The unit (which I think was a 319 yes) had a placard on the front about the attempt - and yes, I recall that an emergency brake application (Hassocks?) ruined the attempt on the overall record.

Haha - well you may have caught a fleeting glimpse of me on board!

A placard on the front also rings a bell, does anyone know whether these would’ve been commonplace on record attempting stock at the time?

Intercity 225

Found it! It was the 27th July 1991 as part of the London to Brighton line 150th anniversary celebrations.

According to the link below it was an attempt to beat the time set by the run @dubscottie posted:

Also found a commemorative postcard from the day here:

026A2CCA-0499-46DE-B3F0-CD2F629C67CB.jpeg

Thank you again to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

4COR

Yes, that's it - the placard looks as I remember it! I also remember it was quite a warm day, and being end of July, that makes sense.

Intercity 225

Does the BML have 100mph running?
I don't know in terms of day to day line speed but the Six Bells Junction link I posted above states that the train I was on hit a maximum speed of 103 mph. I have no idea whether special dispensation was given for the run or not.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
When and why did they slow it down?

It applied only to 319s and 377s could maintain Brighton timings without needing it and I think it was decided that the expense in maintaining the section for only one type of train wasn't worthwhile particularly after 319s no longer operated the Brighton expresses

Status
Not open for further replies.