• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Chester fare advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

block6panger

Afternoon All,

I hold a 26-30 railcard and need to get from Euston/Watford Junction to Chester this Friday (16 feb).

Ideally I want to arrive prior to 8.30pm. Happy to split using London northwestern up to Nuneaton. This would mean getting the 5.46 from Euston and connecting with a quick Virgin.

Or if i can get on the 6.10pm direct to Chester, then all the better.

Looking for a single ticket although would book a return if the cost is marginal or required (for a off peak single for example).

What's the cheapest way of doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
For the 1746 departure, changing at Crewe onto the 2048 Arriva Trains Wales service to Chester, new.trainsplit.com suggests splitting your ticket at Stoke-on-Trent:

London-Stoke offpeak single £22.45 valid on West Midlands Trains only

Stoke-Chester offpeak single £7.65

On the 1810, trainsplit suggests splitting your tickets at Nuneaton giving two Anytime Singles at a total of £74.90 plus their share of your saving from the splits

Or if you use Advance options to force a change at Nuneaton off the 1746 and get an arrival into Chester at 2015, £45.50 by splitting tickets at Rugby and Nuneaton.

block6panger

Thank you Romilly for the in depth answers.

Does anyone know if these costs can be reduced in any way at all?

MG11

Thank you Romilly for the in depth answers.

Does anyone know if these costs can be reduced in any way at all?
No, Advance tickets and a Railcard is the lowest price that you will be charged in your circumstances.

Established Member
I've not checked fares-but would you consider Megabus to Liverpool or Manchester?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Super Off Peak Single Euston to Shrewsbury £11.20 West Midlands Trains and ATW Only.
Anytime Day Single Shrewsbury to Chester £7.40

Total = 18.60

Dep Euston 1413
Arr BHM INTL 1604
Dep BHM INTL 1609
Ar Chester 1821

Status
Not open for further replies.