• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Exeter permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berneylegs

can anyone tell me the valid routes from London to Exeter with an any permitted route?

I know you can travel via Salisbury, Westbury and Bristol, can you travel via Hove/Winchester and Southampton up to Salisbury?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
can anyone tell me the valid routes from London to Exeter with an any permitted route?

I know you can travel via Salisbury, Westbury and Bristol, can you travel via Hove/Winchester and Southampton up to Salisbury?
No, via Hove and Winchester isn't a valid route as far as I can tell. It's certainly not an unreasonable route, and I daresay most members of staff would be happy to accept it though.

The maps that show the mapped routes are GW, LE, PZ, WC+WE, WE, WE+GW, WR, WX+GW, WX+WE and WX+WR, which are each visible on the RDG website. Alternatively you can take any route that is the shortest route wholly by rail, or a route no more than 3 miles longer than this. These shortest (+ up to 3) routes are far too numerous to list, but there are many tools out there that will help you calculate the mileage for a proposed route.

alistairlees

Established Member
Basically you can go
- Waterloo - Basingstoke - Salisbury - Honiton - Exeter
- Paddington - Reading - westbury - Taunton - Exeter
- Paddington -Reading - Basingstoke - etc
- Paddington - Reading - Swindon - bath spa - Bristol temple meads - Taunton - Exeter
- Paddington - Reading - Swindon - Bristol Parkway - temple meads -etc

There’s a few other linking routes and some detail in London but otherwise that’s it so far as I recall off the top of my head. Though I have yet to check the maps in detail.

Going via Hove is neither reasonable nor likely to be accepted.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you can inform us what journey you wish to make (e.g. is it a circular journey outwards via the Berks & Hants and returning via Hove?) we can advise on a suitable combination of tickets, it may even be possible to find something that's cheaper than the through fare.

Berneylegs

If you can inform us what journey you wish to make (e.g. is it a circular journey outwards via the Berks & Hants and returning via Hove?) we can advise on a suitable combination of tickets, it may even be possible to find something that's cheaper than the through fare.

Thanks Yorkie,

I have a return already. I just fancied going a different route than the norm. I wanted to go down to Southampton then up via Salisbury

Berneylegs

Basically you can go
- Waterloo - Basingstoke - Salisbury - Honiton - Exeter
- Paddington - Reading - westbury - Taunton - Exeter
- Paddington -Reading - Basingstoke - etc
- Paddington - Reading - Swindon - bath spa - Bristol temple meads - Taunton - Exeter
- Paddington - Reading - Swindon - Bristol Parkway - temple meads -etc

There’s a few other linking routes and some detail in London but otherwise that’s it so far as I recall off the top of my head. Though I have yet to check the maps in detail.

Going via Hove is neither reasonable nor likely to be accepted.

Thanks for responding, what about via Horsham or Havant?

Berneylegs

No, via Hove and Winchester isn't a valid route as far as I can tell. It's certainly not an unreasonable route, and I daresay most members of staff would be happy to accept it though.

The maps that show the mapped routes are GW, LE, PZ, WC+WE, WE, WE+GW, WR, WX+GW, WX+WE and WX+WR, which are each visible on the RDG website. Alternatively you can take any route that is the shortest route wholly by rail, or a route no more than 3 miles longer than this. These shortest (+ up to 3) routes are far too numerous to list, but there are many tools out there that will help you calculate the mileage for a proposed route.

Thanks for responding, will look at this

alistairlees

Established Member
Thanks for responding, what about via Horsham or Havant?
No, there are no permitted routes south of the route from Waterloo to Exeter via Basingstoke and Salisbury. If there was anything unusual I would have added it.

tsr

Established Member
I can only imagine the look on the face of a member of GTR staff if you showed a London to Exeter ticket between Hove and Aldrington...

To be fair, it might be accepted on the day, but you'd be likely to get a few questions about the length of the route chosen. Or if you're lucky you might just be ignored.

JB_B

Established Member

Is this for the London - Exeter leg of a longer journey? ( As far as I can see there are no any permitted returns London <-> Exeter - just via Taunton or via Honiton.)

Status
Not open for further replies.