• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Folkestone - going via Wye

Class800

Established Member
I'm leading a group in the coming months that will be travelling from London (some will use Charing Cross, some will use St Pancras on HS1 tickets) to Wye and then walking to Folkestone West where they return to London. I'm planning to suggest to them a return to Folkestone Central/West plus a single Ashford International to Wye. I thought about whether the Folkestone return would be valid via Wye on a hypothetical route changing between the two Canterburys on foot, but I'm not convinced. Can anyone confirm yes or no on the via Wye route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Checked the routeing guide and don't think Canterbury is on any permitted routes from London to Folkestone.

mikeb42

I used the following last year to stop off for meetings in first Canterbury and then Dover (via Ramsgate). To the best of my understanding, Sandwich is an "either-or" around the loop (also including a double back to Ramsgate) and there are no break of journey restrictions on these tickets.

However, I'm not one of the forum experts so I'd check with someone who is before using one of these:

St Pancras (STP)<->Sandwich (SDW) Super Offpeak Day Return +HS1 (SRR), £27.15 (with Network Railcard, but same principles will apply without)

Coincidentally, this is the same price as:
STP <-> Folkestone Central (FKC) (SRR) £27.15

You may not want to engage in stopping short, restarting long, break of journey etc for the sake of £5 of course...