• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Hatton permitted routes

Birmingham

Can anyone please help me with the permitted routes from London to Hatton?

What does the ‘Any Permitted’ fare allow you to do that the ‘via Banbury’ fare does not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can anyone please help me with the permitted routes from London to Hatton?

What does the ‘Any Permitted’ fare allow you to do that the ‘via Banbury’ fare does not?
Travel via Coventry perhaps? Anyone able to confirm?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you. Can anyone confirm how travel via Coventry is permitted by the Routeing Guide?
You could travel Hatton-Birmingham-Coventry-Leamington-Banbury and onwards to Marylebone, or Paddington via Reading. For some bizarre reason, Warwick Routeing Point Group (which Hatton belongs to) to London isn't permitted via the WCML. But that is undoubtedly an oversight as Leamington to London is, and this fare is priced by Avanti.

jfollows

Established Member
Thank you. Can anyone confirm how travel via Coventry is permitted by the Routeing Guide?

London-Warwick (of which group Hatton is a member) is valid using maps
  • GC - via High Wycombe, Banbury and Leamington
  • WR + BB - via Reading, Oxford, Banbury and Leamington
Coventry is on both maps and gives a route Leamington-Coventry-Birmingham-Hatton

London Euston via Coventry is not an option, though.

EDIT Watershed posted a minute before I did, but we agree anyway! My initial thought had been otherwise - that there was no valid route via Coventry - but then I studied the maps more diligently and saw that there was.

Last edited:

Birmingham

Thanks both.

WCML is what I was looking for. As @Watershed refers, I am confused why the Any Permitted fare would exist if not for travel via the WCML. I gather it is either an oversight that the fare exists and is not removed for Warwick/Hatton, or an oversight that the route is not available, but I am not sure which.

If you held a Hatton via Banbury ticket, would you be confident in expecting an excess to the Any Permitted ticket to travel via the WCML?

jfollows

Established Member
Given that the "any permitted" ticket is priced by Avanti West Coast, you'd think it'd at least be usable on their services ... I think the ticket from Leamington Spa is the same price so if you used this and paid for a single Hatton-Leamington you'd be fine of course.

If
  • EB + RB
were added to the routeing guide as a permitted route London-Warwick this would also "solve" the problem and presumably correct the oversight.