• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Kidderminster with stay in Bristol on outward

Status
Not open for further replies.

BingBong50

I am trying to plan a short break and would appreciate help with the best ticket (or combination) to get.

I don't want an advance ticket but ideally one that is refundable if it cannot be used before travel has commenced.

Disabled Persons Railcard

28th Sept - London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
2nd October - Bristol to Kidderminster
4th October - Kidderminster back to London. (Paddington or Euston)

Any help appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
How flexible are you on times? A super off peak single from London to Bristol (for example) is a lot cheaper than an anytime one, but you are quite restricted in when you can travel on weekdays.

Also, you mention specific stations in London. Does this mean you would not wish to (for example) use Waterloo or Marylebone?

BingBong50

Thank you - I am relatively flexible on times and certainly wouldn't be travelling in peak times. I don't want to be tied to a specific train. It doesn't matter which London terminal.

It's more about getting the most appropriate ticket type for the route. Can it for example all be done on one ticket - London to Kidderminster via Bristol with the stay in Bristol, or does it need to be a combination of tickets?

kieron

Established Member
I don't know if you need a combination of tickets, but it may be cheaper that way.

I don't know of any "single" ticket which would permit you to travel from Bristol to London via Kidderminster, as it is quite a long way around. If there is one which would let you travel from London to Kidderminster via Bristol, then you would need an anytime return in order for it to be valid both on the Tuesday and the Friday.

An anytime return from London to Kidderminster costs £126.70 with railcard (assuming it is valid via Bristol in the first place), so it's not a cheap option.

A super off peak single from London to Bristol costs £24.05 (code YU), or £19.15 via Warminster (BE).

An off peak single from Kidderminster to London costs £27.85 via Birmingham, and a super off peak single costs £23.30 via Worcester, £21.25 via High Wycombe or £10.25 if you only use WMR/LNR trains. You're travelling on a Sunday, so there are no time restrictions.

For Bristol-Kidderminster, the pricing policy means it makes sense to buy a separate ticket each side of Droitwich. A single ticket costs £9.70 for Bristol-Droitwich (W5) and £3.30 for Droitwich-Kidderminster (no restrictions).

Taking the cheapest option for each of the above gives a total of £42.40. There may be cheaper options available.

BingBong50

Thank you Kieron - Does anyone know if there is a return ticket from London to Kidderminster that allows a routing and stay in Bristol on the outbound. I am happy to return via the same route if that makes it easier.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thank you Kieron - Does anyone know if there is a return ticket from London to Kidderminster that allows a routing and stay in Bristol on the outbound. I am happy to return via the same route if that makes it easier.
As Kieron already explained, only an Anytime Return would allow the break of journey you desire on the outward journey and these are always the most expensive tickets available. However, I think it is highly unlikely that any ticket allows travel from London to Kidderminster via Bristol.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
As Kieron already explained, only an Anytime Return would allow the break of journey you desire on the outward journey and these are always the most expensive tickets available. However, I think it is highly unlikely that any ticket allows travel from London to Kidderminster via Bristol.
There are such tickets, but as you say, an Anytime Return would be required given the desired outward validity, rendering such a ticket rather pointless in practice.

RJ

Established Member
There are such tickets, but as you say, an Anytime Return would be required given the desired outward validity, rendering such a ticket rather pointless in practice.

Careful - dropping so much a hint will set certain people off on a mission to find such tickets then post them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.