• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

juckeyy

Hello, me and my mom & dad are going to Liverpool now in August, (from Sweden).

We've never been in UK and travelled by train there so thats why im asking.

We booked train from Stansted Airport to Lime Street.
You can see our booking below.
4eFgbBX.png

We got the tickets sent home to us and we got 2 tickets.

London Stansted to Liverpool STNS*
London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street

Is it the Stansted to STNS that works in the tube from Stansted to like Tottenham Hale and then to Euston?

Im confused

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adtrainz

'London Stansted to Liverpool STNS*' is your travel ticket and will work the barriers on the Underground.

'London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street' is your seat reservation, but you must keep this with the ticket, especially on your return journey, since your tickets won't be valid without them.

juckeyy

'London Stansted to Liverpool STNS*' is your travel ticket and will work the barriers on the Underground.

'London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street' is your seat reservation, but you must keep this with the ticket, especially on your return journey, since your tickets won't be valid without them.

Ah yes the 2nd thing you said I knew, glad I know the STNS tickets work on the undergroud, btw will I like have much time when switching to tube from Tottenham to Euston?

cuccir

Established Member
Yes - the bookings on the tube tend to be very generous with time, so you should not have a problem with that.

You may well know this already, but on the way London - Liverpool your ticket is an off-peak single. This means that you can use it on different trains if your flight is late but it is NOT valid on trains which depart from London Euston 15:00 until 18:45. So if you arrive later you can travel into London, but would have to wait until after 18:45 to travel to Liverpool.

On your return, your ticket is only valid on the booked trains - if you miss your first trains (delays while travelling do not invalidate your ticket), you will have to pay for a new ticket.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ah yes the 2nd thing you said I knew, glad I know the STNS tickets work on the undergroud, btw will I like have much time when switching to tube from Tottenham to Euston?

For info, what you are reading as 'STNS tickets' is an abbreviation for 'stations' - and refers to the minor detail that various stations in Liverpool are grouped together for fares purposes. So for a journey like yours the ticket is issued to 'Liverpool Stations', which as far as you need to know includes Liverpool Lime Street.

Hope this helps...

Veteran Member
Yes - the bookings on the tube tend to be very generous with time, so you should not have a problem with that.

You may well know this already, but on the way London - Liverpool your ticket is an off-peak single. This means that you can use it on different trains if your flight is late but it is NOT valid on trains which depart from London Euston 15:00 until 18:45. So if you arrive later you can travel into London, but would have to wait until after 18:45 to travel to Liverpool.

On your return, your ticket is only valid on the booked trains - if you miss your first trains (delays while travelling do not invalidate your ticket), you will have to pay for a new ticket.

In practical terms: you can leave Stansted earlier; if however you miss the 1407 from Euston, take any train before 1500 to Crewe, and then a London Midland (regional) train to Liverpool.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You probably know this, but Stansted-London Liverpool St trains are every 15 minutes, and Tottenham Hale is the second stop.

At Euston, some escalators (moving stairways) will be out of action during your visit.
It will affect you on the return journey only and involves a long fixed staircase down to the Victoria line.
Will you have heavy bags?

Check "London Underground escalator maintenance" on the attached:
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/updates/aug//#travelUpdatesForm

MKB

...on the way London - Liverpool your ticket is an off-peak single. This means that you can use it on different trains if your flight is late but it is NOT valid on trains which depart from London Euston 15:00 until 18:45. So if you arrive later you can travel into London, but would have to wait until after 18:45 to travel to Liverpool.

What if the outbound delay were due to the first train (rather than the flight) being delayed? Would the passenger be allowed to travel on the next EUS-LIV even if this were after 15:00?, considerting that a similarly delayed passenger with an Advance ticket would be allowed to travel on the peak service.

Haywain

Veteran Member
What if the outbound delay were due to the first train (rather than the flight) being delayed? Would the passenger be allowed to travel on the next EUS-LIV even if this were after 15:00?, considerting that a similarly delayed passenger with an Advance ticket would be allowed to travel on the peak service.
The difference is that the Advance ticket is no longer valid for any travel after the departure of the booked train, whereas the Off Peak ticket is still valid, but time restricted. Of course, each TOC may have their own policies on this.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
To juckeyy, if you are still reading - as you can see the railways can get a bit complicated here! But don't worry, most of the time you simply buy a ticket and everything will be easy. Staff are generally helpful if you have any questions too. One little thing to be aware of is that the train from Stansted will be going to London Liverpool Street, which might cause a little confusion!

The difference is that the Advance ticket is no longer valid for any travel after the departure of the booked train, whereas the Off Peak ticket is still valid, but time restricted. Of course, each TOC may have their own policies on this.

I think you misunderstood MKB's question. The scenario is that the train from Stansted to London is delayed, causing them to miss the booked train from Euston.

With an Advance ticket, they would* be allowed on the next service.

With an Off Peak ticket, the ticket restrictions would apply and my understanding is that they would not be entitled to travel until after 1845. However, staff may show discretion in this case, especially with a printed itinerary. If not, they could at least get a full refund under Delay Repay.

So I would say that the difference is that there are no time restrictions on an Advance, instead being booked train only, but there are some additional rights which do not apply for Off Peak tickets.

*Poorly trained staff notwithstanding

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think you misunderstood MKB's question. The scenario is that the train from Stansted to London is delayed, causing them to miss the booked train from Euston.

With an Advance ticket, they would* be allowed on the next service.

With an Off Peak ticket, the ticket restrictions would apply and my understanding is that they would not be entitled to travel until after 1845. However, staff may show discretion in this case, especially with a printed itinerary. If not, they could at least get a full refund under Delay Repay.

So I would say that the difference is that there are no time restrictions on an Advance, instead being booked train only, but there are some additional rights which do not apply for Off Peak tickets.

*Poorly trained staff notwithstanding
I may not have answered in sufficient detail for some, but I understood perfectly what the question was and gave the same answer - albeit by simply explaining why one would allow travel and not the other.

juckeyy

To juckeyy, if you are still reading - as you can see the railways can get a bit complicated here! But don't worry, most of the time you simply buy a ticket and everything will be easy. Staff are generally helpful if you have any questions too. One little thing to be aware of is that the train from Stansted will be going to London Liverpool Street

But Liverpool Street is tottenham hale?

Edit: OH i mean the Street is lovades nearby euston?

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Tottenham Hale is the last stop before Liverpool Street, which is the terminus for the train. Tottenham is an easier interchange, but you can also take the Tube from Liverpool Street - it will take longer though.

juckeyy

If I've got it all correct the sequence is like this.

From Stansted I take the train to Tottenham Hale where I go by tub to London Euston via the "Southbound victoria line"? :)

telstarbox

Established Member
That's correct. You can take any Victoria line train - the train should have the destination "Brixton". When you get off at Euston, look for the "Way out / Trains" sign.

juckeyy

Sorry if I ask to much questions but with further research I found out when arriving at Tottenham Hale I get myself to Platform 2 where the Tube leaves for Euston :)

Edit: Oh btw even if my booking says I take the train from Stansted at 12.45, can I take earlier train to Hale since I arrive in London at 11.20 :D

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
You can take earlier trains on both legs on the 15th, but on the 18th you must be on the 12.47 train from Liverpool.

Confusingly, Tottenham Hale has two sets of "Platform 1" and "Platform 2" - one above ground and one below ground.

You arrive on the above ground Platform 1:

DB Schenker . 66084 . Tottenham Hale Station , London . Friday 29th-November-2013 . by AndrewHA's, on Flickr

Then you need to go Underground and find the "Victoria line - Southbound" platform:

2009 Tube Stock at Tottenham Hale by bowroaduk, on Flickr

On the return journey you will arrive by tube on the Underground Platform 1, then go upstairs to the above ground Platform 2 for your train to Stansted!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.