• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Stuttgart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blamethrower

Morning

I've started working for someone who requires me to make regular trips over to Stuttgart, however, driving to Heathrow and then flying makes me want to kill myself before I get there.

With St Pancras being easy for me to get to, I checked the train and via Paris it is 6 hours with 2 trains, not too bad. Via Brussels there don't seem to be many connecting trains and make the journey much longer - -8 - 9 hours

Is there a good time of day to travel through koeln / frankfurt where a good connection can be made?

As in, is there an ice that's goes from essen to Stuttgart bypassing koeln nd frankfurt?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
An ICE from Essen does never bypass Koeln. In fact you will never see Essen.

London 12.01
Paris 15.17 - 15.55
Stuttgart 19.09

London 11, 14, 15 hours; to Koeln 4 hours and 15 minutes. Koeln 15.55 - Stuttgart 18.23 (with departure at 11 from London)

dutchflyer

Established Member
There are basically 3 ICE's an hour via the HS-line south of Köln-and its impossible on ICE to bypass K, though the odd one does not stop at Main=HBF but at the side-river Messe/Deutz-but that makes it even much more complicated coming from LON/BE.
Due to how this line is built, they all pass and stop at FRA-Flughafen (airport), and at least 1 of these then goes via Mannheim-Stuttgart toward München, the others end/pass at FRA/main (HBF) or go south to Basel/Switzerland, bypassing S, serving Mannheim-Karslruhe-and others.
The only real way to completely bypass FRA is via the old line along the river Rhine-mostly IC and not ICE-and this will take much/hours/longer.

Blamethrower

Thanks guys.

I should've said bypassing koeln via messe -deutz as getting an sbahn over the bridge is not a big issue for me. I guess they wouldn't put that in the planner

Seems as if our can get just over 6 hours London -Stuttgart via Paris, 7and a half via koeln (fastest), changing at frankfurt.

Veteran Member
As the Brussels-Köln ICE continues to Frankfurt, there's unlikely to be any advantage in going via Deutz. Worth noting, though, that it goes 2- hourly from December (though IIRC one of the connections doesn't make).

The Koln-Mannheim route normally uses Hbf too, so you can change there, or at either Frankfurt stop, depending on the timetable and fare.

The opening of the LGV Est in full has made a big difference via Paris, and loco2 will do the booking in one transaction.

Groningen

Established Member
Only 10.25, 14.25 and 18.25 are direct trains from Brussel to Frankfurt Main. Lowest price is 69 euro. Back at 6.29, 10.29, 14.29 and 18.29 to Brussel.

Status
Not open for further replies.