• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to the Wirral, Restriction 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastend43

Hi

I will be travelling back from London today, and as usual, my meeting finishes too late for me to get the last appropriate train out of Euston before the evening peak, which I believe is the 14.40, changing at Crewe. The peak starts at 15.01, but the 15.00 to Manchester had Stoke as the first stop which appears to be off route (although I am not sure why).

I understand why TOCs see a need for peak time restrictions, but the last direct train to Liverpool before the peak is at 14.07 and the last direct to Chester is at 14.10. There is a big difference between peak and off peak fares.

The restriction code is 2C, which allows departures from Marylebone until 16.00. London to Liverpool appears to be valid via Birmingham, therefore valid on Marylebone services to Birmingham Moor Street.

National Rail Enquiries gives me an itinerary leaving Marlebone at 15.45, which should therefore be valid.

Am I likely to run in to problems going that way?

I see there are similar itineraries heading out of Paddington via Reading or Oxford, but that does really seem like a long way for a short cut.

As usual I have left it too late consider more creative itineraries, such as those involving split tickets or going via North Wales unless anyone has any other ideas about how to avoid the long wait in London until after 19.00.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

button_boxer

Established Member
If you can print out an itinerary from NRE that says your ticket is valid that way at that time then I don't think staff can really argue with that, particularly after the recent updates to the routeing guide that explicitly mention that NRE has the final say:

This National Routeing Guide may be used to identify permitted routes. Please note, however, that to be valid, any journey not undertaken on a through train or the shortest route MUST be checked using the Journey Planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk, inputting the relevant interchange and via points.

rww100

This probably isn't going to help you today, but if you had a London Midland Only Off-Peak Return, there is no evening peak restriction, and if you had a LM Super Off-Peak Return you could leave as late as 15:46, getting you to Liverpool for 19:16, which is a couple of hours earlier than the first Off-Peak Virgin service arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.