• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Transport - New Cross allocation and use late 1970's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've read about the terminus at the Woodman which was also used by the 163 which would have approached the stand from the Woolwich direction as opposed to the 126 from the Welling direction. I'm wondering where and how they changed direction. With regards to 36 on the blind, it might have been 36B, it was 50 years ago and a few brain cells have been lost over the years!
I'd forgotten about the 163, a bus route I never travelled on. I think it probably was a 36B you saw on the blind, because it stayed on NX's RM blinds for a while after 'just in case'! I had a ride on a NX 36B on its first day, just for the sake of it as a local route to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
A lot of routes went quite a long way out until relatively recently - the 47 went to Farnborough until the early 80s,
Brings back many happy memories working on the 47 from Dalston Garage. Then in the evenings and Sundays we worked from Dalston Garage to Farnborough, was one of my favourite workings then. Although on winter Sunday mornings with so much slack on the tuning times you froze as a conductor RM’s as bus was going so slow little or no heat was coming into the saloon. Then problem for new drivers was finding the stand at “The George” if they missed it and had a conductor who was unfamiliar next stop was the south coast.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Brings back many happy memories working on the 47 from Dalston Garage. Then in the evenings and Sundays we worked from Dalston Garage to Farnborough, was one of my favourite workings then. Although on winter Sunday mornings with so much slack on the tuning times you froze as a conductor RM’s as bus was going so slow little or no heat was coming into the saloon. Then problem for new drivers was finding the stand at “The George” if they missed it and had a conductor who was unfamiliar next stop was the south coast.
Didn't know the sea had encroached into Green St. Green. :) Actually, finding the turn-off for Farnborough after Locks Bottom in the dark was more of a problem for rookie drivers.

delt1c

Established Member
Didn't know the sea had encroached into Green St. Green. :) Actually, finding the turn-off for Farnborough after Locks Bottom in the dark was more of a problem for rookie drivers.
Had a few new drivers miss the turn , 1st time i was a new conductor and didnt realise either

Enthusiast

I have enormous affection for the 21, and my late wife worked for a long while at an address in Moorgate with a 21 bus stop right outside. I was always hoping to see a pre-war RT on it, but I'm fairly certain it never happened...
I think you can be fairly sure that a pre-war RT did not work route 21. Until 1952 pre-war RTs were allocated only to three garages: Putney Bridge (F), Chelverton Road, Putney (AF) and Gillingham Street, Victoria (GM). In 1952 eighteen were allocated to New Cross (NX) but they were used on tram replacement services 163, 177 and 182. NX garage was still being converted (from a tram depot) and for a while the buses ran from Peckham but would wear NX plates with NX crews. NX(PM) did provide a small allocation of RTs for route 21 from July 1952 but only for weekend services. From June 1956 the route was served entirely from NX (proper) and Sidcup (SP), with NX providing about two thirds of the buses. But by then almost all the pre-war RTs had been withdrawn from regular service. Seven were refurbished and outshopped in Country Area Green. They went to Hertford (HG) where they provided regular services until 1957, when they were transferred to staff and training duties. Many of the others were used to provide staff buses to serve the newly opened Aldenham works. Many of the workers there had been transferred from other maintenance sites such as Chiswick, St. Albans and Charlton, and LT laid on buses for them. Others remained as trainers. In the 1960s there were still a handful of pre-war RTs to be seen here and there and I believe two or three were retained at Chiswick for use on the skid pan.

Until 1942 route 21 ran from Turnpike Lane Station (Wood Green) to Farningham but the Turnpike Lane to Moorgate section was curtailed first being restricted to weekends, then to Sundays only, before being finally cut back to Moorgate (Finsbury Square) in April 1943. It remained a "long" route and as late as 1993, ran from Finsbury Square to West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch). Ian Armstrong's excellent London Bus Routes history provides a full history of the route, together with photos, some in Finsbury Square.

Actually, finding the turn-off for Farnborough after Locks Bottom in the dark was more of a problem for rookie drivers.
It's not quite so difficult these days :D:

Farnborough.PNG

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think you can be fairly sure that a pre-war RT did not work route 21. Until 1952 pre-war RTs were allocated only to three garages: Putney Bridge (F), Chelverton Road, Putney (AF) and Gillingham Street, Victoria (GM). In 1952 eighteen were allocated to New Cross (NX) but they were used on tram replacement services 163, 177 and 182. NX garage was still being converted (from a tram depot) and for a while the buses ran from Peckham but would wear NX plates with NX crews. NX(PM) did provide a small allocation of RTs for route 21 from July 1952 but only for weekend services. From June 1956 the route was served entirely from NX (proper) and Sidcup (SP), with NX providing about two thirds of the buses. But by then almost all the pre-war RTs had been withdrawn from regular service. Seven were refurbished and outshopped in Country Area Green. They went to Hertford (HG) where they provided regular services until 1957, when they were transferred to staff and training duties. Many of the others were used to provide staff buses to serve the newly opened Aldenham works. Many of the workers there had been transferred from other maintenance sites such as Chiswick, St. Albans and Charlton, and LT laid on buses for them. Others remained as trainers. In the 1960s there were still a handful of pre-war RTs to be seen here and there and I believe two or three were retained at Chiswick for use on the skid pan.

Until 1942 route 21 ran from Turnpike Lane Station (Wood Green) to Farningham but the Turnpike Lane to Moorgate section was curtailed first being restricted to weekends, then to Sundays only, before being finally cut back to Moorgate (Finsbury Square) in April 1943. It remained a "long" route and as late as 1993, ran from Finsbury Square to West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch). Ian Armstrong's excellent London Bus Routes history provides a full history of the route, together with photos, some in Finsbury Square.

View attachment 119185
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Although I saw pre-war RTs on the 186, I believe the priority was the 182 because NX operated the entire allocation apart from tiny incursions by Abbey Wood (AW) at weekends. The 186, on the other hand. was worked by three garages, and pre-war RTs were underpowered compared to RTs numbered 152 and above (?) and no crew would consider that fair if it could be avoided. I've already said I believe the 182 was allowed more time between Eltham Church and Borough Station than the 21, but without timetables of both at the same date I can't prove it.

317 forever

Established Member
I lived in the Barbican and did once, IIRC a Tuesday in Sept 1977 just after school, notice an MD turn up on route 141. I was able to jump on for a short ride.

delt1c

Established Member

View attachment 119185
Trust me especially in the dark in the 70’s was a lot more difficult to find. Although always loved a duty that had a Dalston to Farnborough run ( except in winter )

frodshamfella

Established Member
Possibly a slip of the keyboard, but the 21 at one time went to Farningham, Farnborough was on the 47.

and on racing days, the 21 went on to Brands Hatch.

More about the 21 at the 'London Buses Route Histories' website (and a page for almost every other London bus route, with info back to the 1930s in many cases.)

The 21 reached Farningham at weekends until 1971 (the 21A did on weekdays) until the 21A went one-man. And then in the mid 80s, a few early morning journeys on the 21 (while it was still crew operated) were started from Swanley and later West Kingsdown (there must have been a good reason for this - possibly school traffic?)

A lot of routes went quite a long way out until relatively recently - the 47 went to Farnborough until the early 80s, and if you go further back in time, quite a few routes had extensions in to the countryside on summer Sundays, the 47 reaching Knockholt Pound until the early 50s.

Yes - the 89 didn't go east of Welling (hence not invoving Bexleyheath Garage) until 1963, and before that it had allocations (not all at the same time) from Catford, New Cross or Old Kent Road garages, so there would have been garage journeys.

New Cross continued to have an allocation until it went OPO in 1978, although latterly only on Saturdays (it was not uncommon then for suburban routes to need more buses and / or crews on Saturdays than on Monday - Friday, so a bus allocation / crew rota that did a 'city' route in the week would help out on something suburban on Saturdays, either at the same garage or sometimes a garage would have a Saturday only allocation on a route.)

New Cross took the route on fully in 1986 when Bexleyheath closed. More on the 89's history (same website) here including a photo of an RM on a garage journey to New Cross.
Yes of course you are right Farningham for the 21 . Could I have read the 89 many many years back got to Biggin Hill or even Westerham ? Still beginning in Welling via Lewisham . Also the number 1 followed the 47, for quite a way more or less, and ended up at Bromley Common seem to recall.

Possibly a slip of the keyboard, but the 21 at one time went to Farningham, Farnborough was on the 47.

and on racing days, the 21 went on to Brands Hatch.

More about the 21 at the 'London Buses Route Histories' website (and a page for almost every other London bus route, with info back to the 1930s in many cases.)

The 21 reached Farningham at weekends until 1971 (the 21A did on weekdays) until the 21A went one-man. And then in the mid 80s, a few early morning journeys on the 21 (while it was still crew operated) were started from Swanley and later West Kingsdown (there must have been a good reason for this - possibly school traffic?)

A lot of routes went quite a long way out until relatively recently - the 47 went to Farnborough until the early 80s, and if you go further back in time, quite a few routes had extensions in to the countryside on summer Sundays, the 47 reaching Knockholt Pound until the early 50s.

Yes - the 89 didn't go east of Welling (hence not invoving Bexleyheath Garage) until 1963, and before that it had allocations (not all at the same time) from Catford, New Cross or Old Kent Road garages, so there would have been garage journeys.

New Cross continued to have an allocation until it went OPO in 1978, although latterly only on Saturdays (it was not uncommon then for suburban routes to need more buses and / or crews on Saturdays than on Monday - Friday, so a bus allocation / crew rota that did a 'city' route in the week would help out on something suburban on Saturdays, either at the same garage or sometimes a garage would have a Saturday only allocation on a route.)

New Cross took the route on fully in 1986 when Bexleyheath closed. More on the 89's history (same website) here including a photo of an RM on a garage journey to New Cross.

I must admit , I find the long routes into the countryside which used to run quite fascinating.

Last edited:

Mike99

Yes of course you are right Farningham for the 21 . Could I have read the 89 many many years back got to Biggin Hill or even Westerham ? Still beginning in Welling via Lewisham . Also the number 1 followed the 47, for quite a way more or less, and ended up at Bromley Common seem to recall.

I must admit , I find the long routes into the countryside which used to run quite fascinating.
logo

Apologies I thought that might come out a bit smaller, Have you had a look at Ian Armstrong's excellent site above

Last edited by a moderator:

delt1c

Established Member

Trust me Dalston Garage to Farnborough was a long route , but so enjoyable to work

Roger1973

If you were able to squirrel that out, I'd be very pleased to see it. It's a route I've known since the late 1940s, since I was born and lived in a house sited a hundred yards from it (and my first word was 'bus'!) so possibly the first time a bus with doors operated it would pique my interest.

kuc150p-lewisham-250881.jpg

As promised - regret it's not a great photo, the size of the print suggests it was taken on a very basic 110 camera (probably my late father's - it's just possible he let me take the photo) - date of 25 August 1981 has been written on the back of the print, and photo is at (the 1978 incarnation of) Lewisham Bus Station.

DM 1150 was (for reasons unknown) at Sidcup from November 1980 to April 1982 (according to 'Ian's Bus Stop' website) - until I looked it up, I'd assumed it was an odd working from New Cross. I don't remember seeing it (or other D / DM buses) on the route, but I didn't see 21's every day, at that time would only have been with a parent on shopping trips to Lewisham (would have been a few times a week in school holidays at that time.)

Presume it had been officially re-classified as a 'D' by then, it seems to have got the stand for an Almex ticket machine, but does not have the 'pay driver / pay conductor' flap on the front.

Doesn't seem to have been much photographed with LT - can find one of it on route 3 from Chalk Farm, but that's all.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
View attachment 120217

As promised - regret it's not a great photo, the size of the print suggests it was taken on a very basic 110 camera (probably my late father's - it's just possible he let me take the photo) - date of 25 August 1981 has been written on the back of the print, and photo is at (the 1978 incarnation of) Lewisham Bus Station.

DM 1150 was (for reasons unknown) at Sidcup from November 1980 to April 1982 (according to 'Ian's Bus Stop' website) - until I looked it up, I'd assumed it was an odd working from New Cross. I don't remember seeing it (or other D / DM buses) on the route, but I didn't see 21's every day, at that time would only have been with a parent on shopping trips to Lewisham (would have been a few times a week in school holidays at that time.)

Presume it had been officially re-classified as a 'D' by then, it seems to have got the stand for an Almex ticket machine, but does not have the 'pay driver / pay conductor' flap on the front.

Doesn't seem to have been much photographed with LT - can find one of it on route 3 from Chalk Farm, but that's all.
Thank you so much for that, really appreciate it. I was living quite near Lee High Road at that time, and shopped in Lewisham Riverdale Centre, so used that bus station quite a bit. Intrigued the DM was working from Sidcup, an odd one out indeed. From a personal viewpoint, the DMS in the background looks much better for the contrasting upper deck colour. Oh for full blinds too, even though Lewisham to Sidcup omitted most of the places shown!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Can you remember the town centre pre Riverdale @Busaholic ? I've seen maps of the old street layout but photos are hard to come by.
Now you've got me thinking! I honestly can't really, because I lived in Eltham (later, Bromley) and went to school in Catford, so never really went through Lewisham much other than along Lee High Road, past the Odeon (where I saw the Rolling Stones on the bottom of a bill once back in the day!) and up Lewisham Way, or on the train from Blackheath direction. I do remember the Rennell Street bus terminus with its offside parking, but that survived into the Riverdale age of course. I guess the shops and market were there, but behind them? Maybe nothing much. Sorry not to be much help - if you find out, I'd be interested to know.

Roger1973

Can you remember the town centre pre Riverdale @Busaholic ? I've seen maps of the old street layout but photos are hard to come by.

Now you've got me thinking! I honestly can't really

My personal memories of Lewisham don't go back pre-Riverdale, but from what I've seen, it didn't change the High Street that much - Boots, Marks and Spencers and (what were then) C+A, Littlewoods, BHS, Woolworths, all had High Street frontages before Riverdale, the shops were just altered / extended back to have a customer entrance at each end.

I guess the mainly residential 'back streets' that were lost (Rhyme Road, Romer Avenue, Engate Street etc) weren't much photographed, although could be worth searching Lewisham's photo archive.

A few buildings were demolished on the High Street side - the former Sainsburys was where the High Street / Market entrance to the shopping centre is now - I understand that the (current) Sainsburys was about the first thing to open in the new shopping centre, so that Sainsburys could continue trading, and had various temporary paths through the construction site made to get there. There's some pictures of the 132-136 High Street premises on Sainsburys Archive.

One building that was lost was the old Tillings bus garage (at the risk of stating the obvious, the place that had the garage code TL before the operation was shifted to the current Catford garage when the latter was handed back by the military after the 1914-18 war) - this was initially known as 'Salisbury Yard' (as in the yard behind the 'Salisbury' pub, which was also lost to make the clock tower entrance to Riverdale.) - the garage is marked as 88a (High Street) on post-war OS maps, although the vehicle entrance was off Molesworth Street. I understand it continued in use for vans / lorries used by other parts of Tillings' business after the buses moved out.

Again, possibly stating the obvious, but Marks + Spencer and most of what's in the triangle between the clock tower, Lewis Grove and the High Street was completely destroyed in 1944 by a V1 rocket, so what's there now is 1950s on. More on the 'Running Past' blog which has a lot of other Lewisham content.

Another blog that may be worth following is Long + Lazy Lewisham, which is fairly new, but gradually working its way south along Lewisham High Street.

While the music may or may not appeal, the video to Bankrobber, by the Clash, was mostly filmed between the Lewisham Clock Tower and Odeon in about 1980.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My personal memories of Lewisham don't go back pre-Riverdale, but from what I've seen, it didn't change the High Street that much - Boots, Marks and Spencers and (what were then) C+A, Littlewoods, BHS, Woolworths, all had High Street frontages before Riverdale, the shops were just altered / extended back to have a customer entrance at each end.

I guess the mainly residential 'back streets' that were lost (Rhyme Road, Romer Avenue, Engate Street etc) weren't much photographed, although could be worth searching Lewisham's photo archive.

A few buildings were demolished on the High Street side - the former Sainsburys was where the High Street / Market entrance to the shopping centre is now - I understand that the (current) Sainsburys was about the first thing to open in the new shopping centre, so that Sainsburys could continue trading, and had various temporary paths through the construction site made to get there. There's some pictures of the 132-136 High Street premises on Sainsburys Archive.

One building that was lost was the old Tillings bus garage (at the risk of stating the obvious, the place that had the garage code TL before the operation was shifted to the current Catford garage when the latter was handed back by the military after the 1914-18 war) - this was initially known as 'Salisbury Yard' (as in the yard behind the 'Salisbury' pub, which was also lost to make the clock tower entrance to Riverdale.) - the garage is marked as 88a (High Street) on post-war OS maps, although the vehicle entrance was off Molesworth Street. I understand it continued in use for vans / lorries used by other parts of Tillings' business after the buses moved out.

Again, possibly stating the obvious, but Marks + Spencer and most of what's in the triangle between the clock tower, Lewis Grove and the High Street was completely destroyed in 1944 by a V1 rocket, so what's there now is 1950s on. More on the 'Running Past' blog which has a lot of other Lewisham content.

Another blog that may be worth following is Long + Lazy Lewisham, which is fairly new, but gradually working its way south along Lewisham High Street.

While the music may or may not appeal, the video to Bankrobber, by the Clash, was mostly filmed between the Lewisham Clock Tower and Odeon in about 1980.
That was fascinating, and all seems very feasible to me.

At the risk of going off topic, two events of the decade from 1968 to 1977 I remember from Lewisham town centre were
1) The flooding by the River Ravensbourne in 1968, which occurred all along its route, including my own family home in Bromley (somebody attempted surfing on Westmoreland Road!)
2) The second of two National Front marches in the area on 13/8/77, with counter marches by anti-fascists, on which occasion riot shields were first used by British police, right under the footbridge to the Riverdale Centre.

delt1c

Established Member
Memory is a bit (very) hazy . I worked on the 47's occasionally in the late 70,s and remember a driver telling me that there was a club in Lewisham and on the northbound journey in evening he would take a different street to avoid it as it was always trouble. Never did a late one so dont know how thi worked

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Memory is a bit (very) hazy . I worked on the 47's occasionally in the late 70,s and remember a driver telling me that there was a club in Lewisham and on the northbound journey in the evening he would take a different street to avoid it as it was always trouble. Never did a late one so dont know how thi worked
That was probably the Sahara(?) on Lewisham High Street, not that I ever went there. Mr Smiths was the notorious one in the area - Rushey Green, Catford, closed following a gun murder in the 1960s which may have involved a shoot-out between the Kray and Richardson gangs.

Roger1973

At the risk of going off topic, two events of the decade from 1968 to 1977 I remember from Lewisham town centre were
1) The flooding by the River Ravensbourne in 1968, which occurred all along its route, including my own family home in Bromley (somebody attempted surfing on Westmoreland Road!)
2) The second of two National Front marches in the area on 13/8/77, with counter marches by anti-fascists, on which occasion riot shields were first used by British police, right under the footbridge to the Riverdale Centre.

Memory is a bit (very) hazy . I worked on the 47's occasionally in the late 70,s and remember a driver telling me that there was a club in Lewisham and on the northbound journey in evening he would take a different street to avoid it as it was always trouble. Never did a late one so dont know how thi worked

That was probably the Sahara(?) on Lewisham High Street, not that I ever went there. Mr Smiths was the notorious one in the area - Rushey Green, Catford, closed following a gun murder in the 1960s which may have involved a shoot-out between the Kray and Richardson gangs.

The Quaggy Waterways Action Group have a page on the 1968 floods, there's also quite a few photos on Flickr - a search on 'Lewisham 1968' should generate some - including quite a few with buses. My parents were living in Lewisham at the time (above the 'high water' line, fortunately.)

Goldsmiths have an ongoing project as part of the 'borough of culture' thing, and the 1968 floods are one element of Lewisham history they are doing - not sure how / where / when it will all be visible.

I wasn't quite in to going clubbing in the late 70s, but candidates might be one above what was Burtons shop, which was at one time the Sahara. There was also a club in part of the Gaumont / Odeon building - think it was the former restaurant area (and think this stayed in business for some years after the cinema had closed.) - for the latter, a loop round the Rennell Street / Molesworth Street bus stand would have avoided the stop outside the Odeon.

To avoid the former, following the current northbound route via Lewis Grove might have missed a stop on the High Street (the High Street wasn't fully pedestrianised until later - late 90s?)

And I don't think the footbridge from Riverdale to Chiesmans (or was it Army and Navy by the time it was put in?) was there in 1977 - I can remember it appearing, which suggests it was later. This photo puts it at 1980.

MotCO

Established Member
Wasn't Catford Garage used by National Express at one stage? Maybe for coach services and a few LRT contracts.

View attachment 119185

If the bus driver found this sign, he would have been very lost :'(. This is the road from the Metrobus roundabout to Farnborough village. It was probably the route of the 'old' A21. The required turn-off would be at the other end of this road. The bus driver should have been looking for a right hand turn shortly after Farnborough Hospital (now Princess Royal University Hospital), where there are apparently no signposts!

Last edited:

Roger1973

Wasn't Catford Garage used by National Express at one stage? Maybe for coach services and a few LRT contracts.

Not the current Stagecoach (former Selkent / London Transport / Tillings / army / London General) garage on Bromley Road.

The National Travel South East, former Timpsons' coach station / depot, was later used by London Country SE / National London for route P4 (possibly also route 42) but that was a different site, at 175 Rushey Green.

I think it was also used for some parking by Black Horse Buses for their Gravesend operation which surfaced briefly post deregulation (I have been told that some of the people involved in Black Horse had previously been at National Travel South East, and the 'Black Horse and Harrow' pub (now 'Ninth Life') a couple of doors down may have been an influence on the company name. I can't find anything on paper to back this up, though, so it may be hot air.)

The (then) Timpsons depot / coach station is the building marked as 'Garage' behind 175 Rushey Green on this 1950s OS map, the rear yard that opened on to Plassy Road (later the east side of the one-way system) was part of the same site - the Rushey Green frontage is part of what's now shop and Octavia House (street view here)

The site had been a horse tram depot until about 1907, and was bought by Timpsons in about 1920 - they ran local buses from the site for a few years in the 1920s before selling the bus part of their operation to Tillings and concentrating on coaches.

It was derelict for quite a long time, along with the rest of the 'Catford Island', at least some of which was under compulsory purchase for a possible realignment of the south circular road which still hasn't happened.

Some pictures -

1939 view (probably taken from the roof of what's now the Broadway Theatre) here, 1935 view of the area behind the archway here, 1984 photo of rear yard and Eros House here (all on Flickr, not mine of course) and 1905/6 view as horse tram depot (behind archway and building with 'J A Webb and Sons' sign) when electric and horse trams briefly both served Catford here on 'Ideal Homes'.

and should any of the admins / moderators come along...

wonder if thread title might want changing to something like 'historic bus operations, SE London' ? (might be easier than trying to split off all the tangents!)

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not the current Stagecoach (former Selkent / London Transport / Tillings / army / London General) garage on Bromley Road.

The National Travel South East, former Timpsons' coach station / depot, was later used by London Country SE / National London for route P4 (possibly also route 42) but that was a different site, at 175 Rushey Green.

I think it was also used for some parking by Black Horse Buses for their Gravesend operation which surfaced briefly post deregulation (I have been told that some of the people involved in Black Horse had previously been at National Travel South East, and the 'Black Horse and Harrow' pub (now 'Ninth Life') a couple of doors down may have been an influence on the company name. I can't find anything on paper to back this up, though, so it may be hot air.)

The (then) Timpsons depot / coach station is the building marked as 'Garage' behind 175 Rushey Green on this 1950s OS map, the rear yard that opened on to Plassy Road (later the east side of the one-way system) was part of the same site - the Rushey Green frontage is part of what's now shop and Octavia House (street view here)

The site had been a horse tram depot until about 1907, and was bought by Timpsons in about 1920 - they ran local buses from the site for a few years in the 1920s before selling the bus part of their operation to Tillings and concentrating on coaches.

It was derelict for quite a long time, along with the rest of the 'Catford Island', at least some of which was under compulsory purchase for a possible realignment of the south circular road which still hasn't happened.

Some pictures -

1939 view (probably taken from the roof of what's now the Broadway Theatre) here, 1935 view of the area behind the archway here, 1984 photo of rear yard and Eros House here (all on Flickr, not mine of course) and 1905/6 view as horse tram depot (behind archway and building with 'J A Webb and Sons' sign) when electric and horse trams briefly both served Catford here on 'Ideal Homes'.

wonder if thread title might want changing to something like 'historic bus operations, SE London' ? (might be easier than trying to split off all the tangents!)
I had a few years of passing the back end of Timpson's yard on my bus to school in the 1960s once the one way system started. Eros House was built on the site of the Eros cinema, which lasted for a year or two into the 1960s ISTR. Saw the Temperance Seven at the Black Horse and Harrow: believe Whispering Paul McDowell lived in Catford.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Now you've got me thinking! I honestly can't really, because I lived in Eltham (later, Bromley) and went to school in Catford, so never really went through Lewisham much other than along Lee High Road, past the Odeon (where I saw the Rolling Stones on the bottom of a bill once back in the day!) and up Lewisham Way, or on the train from Blackheath direction. I do remember the Rennell Street bus terminus with its offside parking, but that survived into the Riverdale age of course. I guess the shops and market were there, but behind them? Maybe nothing much. Sorry not to be much help - if you find out, I'd be interested to know.
I remember the Rennell Street terminus too, wasn't there a Cinema on the the off side of the street ?

Some pictures -

You mentioned the P4, I do remember this route being introduced as my nan lived in Lessing Street Honor Oak Park, and the P4 originally terminated in the street at the end of hers. A short stubby bus and before that I think a Transit type bus. Went to Brixton on it a few times.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I remember the Rennell Street terminus too, wasn't there a Cinema on the the off side of the street ?

You mentioned the P4, I do remember this route being introduced as my nan lived in Lessing Street Honor Oak Park, and the P4 originally terminated in the street at the end of hers. A short stubby bus and before that I think a Transit type bus. Went to Brixton on it a few times.
That was the Odeon. The P4 terminated at Brockley Rise originally. but I believe late running Transits terminated at Honor Oak Park. It was operated by Stockwell garage rather than Catford in those days.

MotCO

Established Member
Were these short Bristol LSs?

Status
Not open for further replies.