• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA 2 (2024 applications)

Samzino

Established Member
CSA2 vaccancies out again:
Job Vacancy Here
Customer Service Assistant 2 - Full Time 045768
Organisation - Customer Service
Job - Customer Care
Position Type - Full Time

Please note that applying for this role means you have read and understood this advert and any associated links.  Please read the job description carefully. 
  
This recruitment campaign is to recruit to a waitlist for permanent opportunities as they arise.  We will be offering roles on an ongoing basis over the next two years. 

Please note that candidates who have previously applied to CSA2 Full-Time 044474 OR are currently on our CSA1 Night Tube 040513 waitlist are not eligible to apply for this campaign.

We strongly advise that you read about the CSA Application Process before submitting your application.

‘’The main highlight of the job is the operational tasks we are required to do on a daily basis, which includes the gate line (helping customers with their ticket/ Oyster at the gates) and the platform announcements which I really enjoy. I like the fact you can make a person smile or make a difference to their day by simply doing your job.’’ – Pulian, CSA

Salary: £33,300pa

Working Hours:  As a CSA, you'll play a vital role in ''Keeping London Moving''. For this reason, you would be expected to work on a varied shift pattern which will include early starts (04:30) and late finishes (01:30), weekends and public holidays. This is a full-time position, working 35 hours per week and you will be required to work on any day of the year.  Please note we are unable to offer a fixed shift pattern. 

We know that this may mean sometimes having to turn down invites from friends and family and so in return for your service, you'll receive 37 days of annual leave a year as well as many other benefits.

Location: You will be assigned to a group of stations as determined by the business and could be required to work at any of the number of stations within that Cover Group. Areas can be anywhere covered by the London Underground Network.  You must be able to travel to anywhere on the London Underground network for both start or end of service, as mentioned above.

Contract Type: LU Permanent 

Closing date for Applications: Sunday 19th May at 23:59hrs.

Please note: Due to the expected high response to these vacancies, we reserve the right to close this campaign once we have a suitable pool of applicants, which could be prior to the published application closing date.  If you wish to apply for this role, we strongly advise you do this quickly, as on previous campaigns we have closed before the advertised closing date.

About us 

London Underground, better known as the Tube, has 11 lines covering 402km and serving 272 stations across the London.

The Tube handles up to five million passenger journeys a day. At peak times, there are more than 543 trains whizzing around the Capital.

Transport for London leads the way as a unique public service and an inclusive and flexible organisation, committed to developing you. We treat our staff with the same commitment we give our customers; their satisfaction is a measure of our success.

‘’There’s a lot of potential to advance in the company which my previous job didn’t provide’’ Clarke, CSA – Central Line

About you 

We are looking for friendly, reliable, helpful people and a genuine passion for delivering outstanding customer service. We are looking for confident people who can quickly take in information about our services, become experts on their local working areas and always promotes a positive image.

Not only will you enjoy a highly competitive salary and benefits package – you will also be part of a team committed to exceptional service delivery.
As a CSA, you would be expected to work on a varied shift pattern which will include early starts (04:30) and late finishes (01:30), weekends and public holidays. This is a full-time position, working 35 hours per week and you will be required to work on any day of the year.  Please note we are unable to offer a fixed shift pattern. 
We know that this may mean sometimes having to turn down invites from friends and family and so in return for your service, you'll receive 37 days of annual leave a year as well as many other benefits.

If you get a real buzz from helping people and are passionate about assisting customers, come help us demonstrate that "every journey matters" and ensure that our customers remain at the centre of everything we do here at London Underground.

Women in TfL
We're working hard to inspire current and future generations of women at TfL who are currently underrepresented in the industry.
As part of our recruitment campaign for Customer Service Assistants, we spoke to some of our current and former CSAs about their careers – what they enjoy, what challenges they face, as well as their top tips for anyone wanting to become and succeed as a CSA.
Click here to find out what they had to say.

The role 

Being a CSA at London Underground is a customer service role like no other. Our CSAs are the face of a unique public service which serves millions of Londoners each day.

You would be expected to deliver exceptional service to all London Underground customers, providing assistance according to all customer needs including ticketing and enquiries. You would also be expected to assist with taking steps to alleviate congestion, prevent overcrowding and assisting customer flow and evacuation where necessary, whilst providing a welcoming presence throughout the station, and ensuring there is safety at the core of everything you do. 

To be eligible for this vacancy, you should 

·        Be 18 years old and over and be eligible to work in the UK
·        Be prepared to work anywhere in London. 
·        Be able to work a variety of shift patterns including Nights, weekends and public holidays 
  
Please take the time to read the answers to our Frequently Asked Questions before applying. 

‘’The best moments about my job are when chaotic situations arise on the station such as disruptions to service, crowd control and platform duties on heavily crowded platforms and calming down customers by making them laugh’’

Key Accountabilities 

·        Customer service: deliver world-class service by actively providing proactive assistance to customers, including those with special requirements, being knowledgeable about service information, offering cost effective help and advice on ticketing. 

·        Ticketing: Provide pro-active support and advice to customers at Ticket machines including the use of staff-enabled functionality. Maintaining the knowledge required to appropriately manage the monies collected via ticket machines.  You will be trained on how to float, service and consolidate cash from ticket machines. 

·        Incidents and emergencies: assist to ensure the safety of customers and staff, and to restore service as quickly as possible, in line with London Underground's rules and procedures (as directed). 

·        Station support: Support the smooth operation of the station environment. This will include carrying out checks, taking steps to alleviate congestion, prevent overcrowding and assisting customer flow and evacuation where necessary. Resolve local issues or report faults as required. Being vigilant and reporting incidents/issues as they arise.

·        As an organisation we value our diverse city, and inclusive workplace, and would expect you to make a positive contribution to maintain and further this for our colleagues and our customers.

Application Process 

The process consists of 3 stages including completing 2 online tests (sent in 1 invite) and attending an Assessment Centre. You will need to pass each stage to progress to the next.  

We strongly advise that you read about the CSA Application Process before submitting your application.

Attending an Assessment Event  
  
You will receive an email request inviting you to book into an assessment event.  
You will receive confirmation of your booking together with any relevant information required for your assessment at the time of booking.  
  
Please ensure:  

• You have an active email address where correspondence, invitations to assessment events and practice material can be sent  
• All your contact details including phone numbers, address and email are updated and current on your application  
  
Campaign Timetable 

The campaign is running to a very specific delivery timescale as determined by the business and there will only be enough slots for the number of candidates invited. Dates for the Assessment Centre will be opened on an ongoing basis, therefore if there are no slots available, please check again the following day. You are encouraged to schedule into an assessment event as early as possible. If you do not book an assessment, you will be withdrawn from the campaign. 

Candidate Charter 

You can download a copy of the Candidate Charter here. 
  
This outlines our commitment to you as a candidate by providing insight into our recruitment process.  It also outlines our expectations with regards to your engagement with us, to ensure that you receive the best recruitment experience possible, as we believe you should know the standards of service you can expect from us. You must read this document prior to submitting your application in order to understand every aspect of the process. 

Reasonable Adjustment Process 

If you require reasonable adjustments, you must notify the recruitment at least 48 hours (excluding weekends) prior to your scheduled assessment event to allow us to accommodate your requirements. You will then be sent a confirmation email which you will need to bring to your assessment. If you fail to bring this on the day your adjustments will not be granted, and you will be unable to re-book. We will consider that you are the expert regarding your own requirements, and we will consider all requests fairly within the context of the role. 
Please take the time to read the Disability Charter here. 
  
Notice of Cancellation  
  
We require you to give a minimum of 48 hours' notice of cancellation or re-schedule. Non-attendance at your Assessment Event or failure to give 48 hours’ notice of a cancellation, may lead to your application being withdrawn.  
  
Please note: Your assessment may be rescheduled once only and reschedules will only be granted if there are assessment slots available, so please make sure you check you can make an appointment before booking. Subsequent cancellation may lead to your application being withdrawn. If you do not follow the process outlined in the Candidate Charter you risk being withdrawn from the campaign.  
  
Outcomes 
  
Please be aware that the outcome of your final assessment will not be available until all suitable candidates have attended the assessment events. Outcome notification will be provided 10 to 14 days from the date of the last event.  

Appointment to Post  
  
In order to be appointed to a post, candidates must successfully pass a basic criminal records check, employment referencing, medical screening and a drug & alcohol test.

Our DBS and Referencing checks are completed by our partner REED. To ensure these checks can be completed as quickly as possible, you must provide your FULL 3-year work history. You must also disclose any periods of living or employment abroad, as well as any name changes.

To carry out the duties of a CSA, a CSA needs to be able to access the track in emergencies, and CSAs need to wear uniform trousers to perform this duty. You are not allowed to wear long loose clothing below the ankle for safety reasons. This is standard practice across the rail industry.   

Although you may be successful & offered the role – you may not commence employment in the role or start training immediately. There may be a requirement to delay your start date until you are required.  

We will not consider sponsoring a visa or issuing a Certificate of Sponsorship for this role. We are unable to offer advice on any Visa and Immigration cases.  

Training  

Appointment to the post is subject to successful completion of a full-time training course which will be a maximum of 4 weeks to complete depending on licences currently held, including classroom based training, ticket machine training and live station training (shadowing a shift pattern). Candidates who do not pass the training will have their offer of employment withdrawn.  You will not be able to take any annual leave during your training.

You will be assigned to an Area dependant on where the business requirements are within London Underground.  

Contacting Us 

If at any time you need to speak to anyone within the Recruitment Team, then please contact us on 0203 005 1680 (local rate charges from all phones including mobiles) or email [email protected]. 
Pease take the time to read the answers to our Frequently Asked Questions before applying. 

Benefits 

In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow.  Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include: 
·    Final salary pension scheme 
·    Free travel for you on the TfL network 
·    A 75% reimbursement scheme on National Rail 
·    37 days annual leave including bank holidays 
·    Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme 
·    Retail, health, leisure and travel offers 
·    Discounted Eurostar travel 
  
Equality, diversity and inclusion 

We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. 
  

A reminder that thread is for people to discuss the 2024 advert.

Anyone who applied before April 2024, please use this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/london-underground-csa1-csa2-2022-2023-intake.241001/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zain K

I applied for this role last year but sadly failed the SJT. I really don't understand how or what they look for in these tests (may need to practice and understand them more) as it has no right or wrong answers. I saw they were recruiting again but its frustrating to see them stating you cannot apply again if you already applied to the same vacancy.

kinkywinpat

I applied for this role last year but sadly failed the SJT. I really don't understand how or what they look for in these tests (may need to practice and understand them more) as it has no right or wrong answers. I saw they were recruiting again but its frustrating to see them stating you cannot apply again if you already applied to the same vacancy.
People are on waiting list and vacancies are out again

CSANewbie2024

I was initially on the Night Tube waitlist but moved to a CSA Part time list and am currently going through the screening process with Reed. Does that also make me ineligible to apply for the FT position?

Zain K

People are on waiting list and vacancies are out again
Appreciate the reply though sadly the vacancy states those who applied for the CSA2 044474 role are not eligible which is what I applied for last year October I believe. I am surprised how often this job posting is coming up as it shows they need a lot of CSA but I just find it not fair they give only 1 chance to apply unless I have to wait another year for this vacancy to come up

Kreddy

Hello,

Can someone share what happens if I apply for the New CSA2 campaign? It is says candidates who have applied earlier are not eligible to apply for this new campaign. I have applied for earlier campaign 6 months ago and failed in the last round. Will I be accepted if I apply now again?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Hello,

Can someone share what happens if I apply for the New CSA2 campaign? It is says candidates who have applied earlier are not eligible to apply for this new campaign. I have applied for earlier campaign 6 months ago and failed in the last round. Will I be accepted if I apply now again?
Check the details of the campaign you applied for - these will be in your Taleo profile if you don’t have access to any prior emails etc.

Only the two listed campaigns (“CSA2 Full-Time 044474 OR are currently on our CSA1 Night Tube 040513”) are blocked from applying.

In theory there’s nothing to stop you putting an application in, but it would almost certainly be immediately rejected. It may also still be counted as an application for this campaign, potentially barring you from applying for the next campaign.

Information gathering and retention is a big part of any TfL operational role, so it is imperative that people read job specs and applications thoroughly - it will only help you!

winks

What’s the furthest candidates can be outside of London to apply ? Or does anyone on LU know of staff living 50/60 mins out ?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
There is no requirement beyond “being able to work anywhere on the LU network” - earliest book ons for station staff are around 0430, and latest book offs about 0130. CSAs do not work night turns.

There is an extensive staff taxi network to link into these times, plus of course night buses etc.

Whilst I am not a CSA I have between a 60 and 105 minute commute depending on my work location. It’s less than ideal but it is what it is (ironcally, when I was a CSA my commute was 17 minutes from leaving my door to booking on with the, then, SS1).

Established Member
There is an extensive staff taxi network to link into these times, plus of course night buses etc.

What’s the furthest candidates can be outside of London to apply ? Or does anyone on LU know of staff living 50/60 mins out ?

The furthest from London I’ve seen someone in LU uniform boarding/alighting a train I’ve worked is Leicester, 100 miles and over an hour just on the train, let alone door to door, and much longer again if you’re needing to start earlier or finish later than direct national rail trains run.

There are several LU staff who live in places like Kettering and Wellingborough, slightly less extreme, but still a good way out. I wouldn’t ever recommend such a long commute but, just as on the big railway, people will make it work when it suits their circumstances.

Last edited:

MaidaVale

Providing you can get in on time for your allocated shifts, I've never known anyone to have any issues regarding where they live.

I've worked with plenty of staff that commute in from the South Coast, the southern fringes of the Midlands, deep into East Anglia etc. I'd say a majority of staff that live outside of London are within a 40 mile radius of Charing Cross, but there are still quite a large number outside of that zone. I certainly wouldn't let it put you off applying, 50-60 mins is probably on the shorter end of a lot of LU staff commutes really.

dazzag

Ok I'm currently considering applying for the new CSA advert . Although the timing is slightly early for me as I was looking at applying on a later date in the year or early next.
Can you tell me then If I was to apply to this current advert and im not successful, what the next available date I can re-apply ?
Would it be in the next financial year OR is it by months eg 18months

Kay_M

Ok I'm currently considering applying for the new CSA advert . Although the timing is slightly early for me as I was looking at applying on a later date in the year or early next.
Can you tell me then If I was to apply to this current advert and im not successful, what the next available date I can re-apply ?
Would it be in the next financial year OR is it by months eg 18months
From what I remembered correctly from some people that I know on the inside it's usually a year you'd have to wait if you're not successful.

Thank you. This information will be helpful for new applicants, but what is the point of opening the new vacancy when they cannot fill the post with waiting applicants?
That's how railway talent pool/waitlist recruitment works! I suspect many took on the part-time contract offered early this year.

RJ

Established Member

It's always detailed in the job advert what they are looking for. Those who read it in its entirety carefully, take it in and understand they are telling you exactly what they are looking for stand the highest chance of getting through these stages.

coffeetable

Hello anyone know what the training salary is currently at now that it's full salary is 33k?
Thanks
I heard someone say you'd get around 80%. If someone thinks that's wrong, please correct me.

Yes all done
How did you find out that your references check has been done, Mine is still pending after more than a month. Unfortunately, all my previous attempts to reach them haven't been successful. my personal account on XMS Portal has not been updated yet.

kinkywinpat

I heard someone say you'd get around 80%. If someone thinks that's wrong, please correct me.

How did you find out that your references check has been done, Mine is still pending after more than a month. Unfortunately, all my previous attempts to reach them haven't been successful. my personal account on XMS Portal has not been updated yet.
They will send you an email to tell you it's done , I think you need to continue to give them a call. You have to check if you have the right number , mine took just under two weeks

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Hello anyone know what the training salary is currently at now that it's full salary is 33k?
Thanks
CSA1 - £42,091
CSA2 - £33,300

Training rates @ 80% thereof:
CSA1 - £33,673
CSA2 - £26,640

PT roles should be pro-rated as necessary.

Zain K

It's always detailed in the job advert what they are looking for. Those who read it in its entirety carefully, take it in and understand they are telling you exactly what they are looking for stand the highest chance of getting through these stages.
Thanks Rj. Sorry I meant in context of the tests not job spec. I think I did well on the exercises like finding the key and door paths and the space shuttle puzzle and maths test.

I feel it is the STJ I seem to always fail at with TFL unless they adjusted their criteria like what happened in one instance in my favour. Just need more practice on these :E

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A reminder that thread is for people to discuss the 2024 advert.

Anyone who applied before April 2024, please use this thread:

jel83

Hello all,

I have applied for the night time csa with request to be considered for part time.I have passed the online assessment and have booked into an assessment centre

I have a fews of questions because

1. Is Role play the same day if I pass the written and data interpretation or will I have to go back
2. Is there a one to one interview as part of the process
3. What exactly is the medical screening like, I have a slight learning disability and coordination problem so I am nervous I won't pass.

My forth question is about TRAINING

I remember from a documentary about the tube from years ago they followed a group of trainees doing a live track walk is this still part of the TRAINING? I can't help feeling a little bit nervous about this.

Tobes1994

Hello all,

I have applied for the night time csa with request to be considered for part time.I have passed the online assessment and have booked into an assessment centre

I have a fews of questions because

1. Is Role play the same day if I pass the written and data interpretation or will I have to go back
2. Is there a one to one interview as part of the process
3. What exactly is the medical screening like, I have a slight learning disability and coordination problem so I am nervous I won't pass.

My forth question is about TRAINING

I remember from a documentary about the tube from years ago they followed a group of trainees doing a live track walk is this still part of the TRAINING? I can't help feeling a little bit nervous about this.
First time you go- it is the written and data interpretation

If you pass that then you will be asked to book into the role play/ SBI, you need to pass the role play to do the SBI- If you fail the role play then you will be asked to go home and you won't proceed any further. You will be told within 10-15 minutes of doing the role play if you pass or fail.

jel83

If you pass that then you will be asked to book into the role play/ SBI, you need to pass the role play to do the SBI- If you fail the role play then you will be asked to go home and you won't proceed any further. You will be told within 10-15 minutes of doing the role play if you pass or fail.
Thank you. So just to be clear it is not all on the same day ?

The document that I found that tells one about what happens during recruitment process implies it's all on the same day.

And the training does it involve crossing a live track ? Like I said there was a documentary from about 20 years ago I think now called the tube and one episode they show a group of customer services assistance being trained and having to do a live track crossing.

Thank you again for your help. I've actually received another job offer so I've withdrawn my application, maybe in the future I'll reapply.

Last edited:

Pipa

CSA1 - £42,091
CSA2 - £33,300

CSA1 - £33,673
CSA2 - £26,640

Hello, i have applied for the CSA role and have got to the role play /interview stage. If I pass there is the medical, I would just like to know how good your eyesight needs to be as I have an eye condition in one eye, so the optician can not provide me with the perfect prescription. The other eye has the right prescription for glasses
Thanks

Tobes1994

Hello, i have applied for the CSA role and have got to the role play /interview stage. If I pass there is the medical, I would just like to know how good your eyesight needs to be as I have an eye condition in one eye, so the optician can not provide me with the perfect prescription. The other eye has the right prescription for glasses
Thanks
The medical test isn't done straight away, it will happen once you've been offered the role.

dazzag

CSA1 - £42,091
CSA2 - £33,300

CSA1 - £33,673
CSA2 - £26,640

It's unbelievable really how low a salary it is for what's involved to get the job in the first place and then the shifts you have to do ie mostly weekends and late night finishes . Considering there are jobs out there of similar pay scale working day shift weekdays with weekends off .