• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 intake)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFLtalk

Congrats!
Thankyou!!

Hey everyone, other than health and drug tests, do we have to go in person for any other on-boarding procedures? I have already done the ID check on the day of the interview. I am going on holiday for the first few weeks of April so are the reference checks and DBS something which can be done online ? I am planning to do the health and drug test after I get back to London. Is my assumption that reference checks can take a couple of weeks correct so that I can do the health and drug tests after returning back?

Last edited:

kinkywinpat

Hello everyone just curious , do you automatically get into the CSA 1 position after probation or you have to wait till there is a CSA 1 vacancy or it depends on the station, not all stations have CSA 1. And also how is the overtime? Is it regular? I currently work for overground National rail and our salary is £35k and with overtime I can get up to £50k cos we get a lot of overtime. So I need to know if it's worth it or not. If you eventually become CSA 1 I believe the salary is 42k. Do you get OT or not as a CSA 1?

Shezu

Did my medical today, staffs were very nice and helpful.
First nurse does the blood pressure test, vision test, hearing test, BMI, urine sample for diabetes. Everything is done in front of you. Then they send you to the doctor, where they check heart beats, tell you to do some simple exercises to check balance like walking on toes and heels, squats. That's pretty much it.

TFLtalk

Did my medical today, staffs were very nice and helpful.
First nurse does the blood pressure test, vision test, hearing test, BMI, urine sample for diabetes. Everything is done in front of you. Then they send you to the doctor, where they check heart beats, tell you to do some simple exercises to check balance like walking on toes and heels, squats. That's pretty much it.
That’s good. Is the booking for medical done after everything else is completed?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Hello everyone just curious , do you automatically get into the CSA 1 position after probation or you have to wait till there is a CSA 1 vacancy or it depends on the station, not all stations have CSA 1. And also how is the overtime? Is it regular? I currently work for overground National rail and our salary is £35k and with overtime I can get up to £50k cos we get a lot of overtime. So I need to know if it's worth it or not. If you eventually become CSA 1 I believe the salary is 42k. Do you get OT or not as a CSA 1?
There is an agreement in place with the trade unions that you will become eligible for a CSA1 after 12 months in post, subject to vacancies and passing probation etc. As you note, not all locations have CSA1s (and/or CSA2s) and you may be required to move location to get the CSA1 position.

Overtime - how long is a length of string? The Underground does not (seek to) run on overtime like the big railway. In theory, every position is filled and OT is only in place to cover leave, sickness, special events etc. It differs vastly from location to location and, of course, is not guaranteed. There is also a fair amount of oversight on hours worked both as part of the Framework Agreement and fatigue index, so even if there is plenty you’ll not be able to do all of it all the time.

It’s some time since I was on stations, but I was on a group with a lot of OT through the Fit for the Future (Stations) changes, and it wasn’t anywhere near £50k even accounting for salary and inflationary increases.

That said, I would suggest there are probably more opportunities for promotion and to move up the business within LU than there is ARL if final salary is your driver.

kinkywinpat

There is an agreement in place with the trade unions that you will become eligible for a CSA1 after 12 months in post, subject to vacancies and passing probation etc. As you note, not all locations have CSA1s (and/or CSA2s) and you may be required to move location to get the CSA1 position.

Overtime - how long is a length of string? The Underground does not (seek to) run on overtime like the big railway. In theory, every position is filled and OT is only in place to cover leave, sickness, special events etc. It differs vastly from location to location and, of course, is not guaranteed. There is also a fair amount of oversight on hours worked both as part of the Framework Agreement and fatigue index, so even if there is plenty you’ll not be able to do all of it all the time.

It’s some time since I was on stations, but I was on a group with a lot of OT through the Fit for the Future (Stations) changes, and it wasn’t anywhere near £50k even accounting for salary and inflationary increases.

That said, I would suggest there are probably more opportunities for promotion and to move up the business within LU than there is ARL if final salary is your driver.
Thank you

Thank you
And also just to say yes we do get up to 50k cos Sundays are classes as OT and we are allowed to work 13 days in a row and our working days are just 4 days a week so you are allowed to work the remaining three days as OT. And some occasions we do 12 houses as well

Thank you

And also just to say yes we do get up to 50k cos Sundays are classes as OT and we are allowed to work 13 days in a row and our working days are just 4 days a week so you are allowed to work the remaining three days as OT. And some occasions we do 12 houses as well
12 Hours*

bluegoblin7

Established Member
And also just to say yes we do get up to 50k cos Sundays are classes as OT and we are allowed to work 13 days in a row and our working days are just 4 days a week so you are allowed to work the remaining three days as OT.
I wasn't saying you don't, I was saying that it's unlikely on LU.

Sundays are 'inside' on LU and have been since Company Plan in the 90s, so there's no additional payments - it's all at a flat, spot hourly rate. CSA shift lengths are 8* hours, and you definitely can't work 13 days straight on LU - maximum 8 days for stations.

Stations Framework, for interest: https://foi.tfl.gov.uk/FOI-0269-2122/Stations Framework.pdf

Hi all new here . Im a postie of 28yrs and possibly looking for a new challenge due to job going through huge changes for the worst now and in the years ahead.
Does anyone know if there is anymore vacancies coming up ? I did see that there is huge amount apply which sort of puts me off really but il give it a go as always always wanted to work on the underground. Maybe a distant dream but who knows

Anyone heard anything ref more vacancies coming up ?
It tends to come out once a year or so, but has been a little more regular recently. There may be some other operational campaigns coming out externally this year too, but I won't say more in case it doesn't happen.

A huge amount apply but there's also a lot taken on each recruitment cycle - to be honest, you've got absolutely nothing to lose applying - it would be some time before you'd be looking at a start date, and it is usually possible to defer by a short period if required.

moonie95

Sundays are 'inside' on LU and have been since Company Plan in the 90s, so there's no additional payments - it's all at a flat, spot hourly rate. CSA shift lengths are 8* hours, and you definitely can't work 13 days straight on LU - maximum 8 days for stations.

Stations Framework, for interest: https://foi.tfl.gov.uk/FOI-0269-2122/Stations Framework.pdf

It tends to come out once a year or so, but has been a little more regular recently. There may be some other operational campaigns coming out externally this year too, but I won't say more in case it doesn't happen.

A huge amount apply but there's also a lot taken on each recruitment cycle - to be honest, you've got absolutely nothing to lose applying - it would be some time before you'd be looking at a start date, and it is usually possible to defer by a short period if required.
Hi @bluegoblin7 thanks for all your informative replies. I heard rumour that Trains Ops will be posted externally in the near future. If this was true and I’ve got a start date for April, would I have to wait 6 months till I can apply for this even though it may possibly be advertised externally?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Hi @bluegoblin7 thanks for all your informative replies. I heard rumour that Trains Ops will be posted externally in the near future. If this was true and I’ve got a start date for April, would I have to wait 6 months till I can apply for this even though it may possibly be advertised externally?
In theory you can apply for an external vacancy the same as anyone else but you would have to resign and rejoin which does have some impacts particularly around pensions, TU membership, length of service etc.

For internal roles you have to pass your probation - usually six months but I have known it to occasionally be reduced - to move on, but roles such as train operator do come out regularly, and the knowledge you'll gain from working on stations for a longer period will be invaluable.

If I was in your position I certainly wouldn't be banking on hearsay and would take the stations job and apply within next time - there may even be other jobs that take your fancy before then.

moonie95

In theory you can apply for an external vacancy the same as anyone else but you would have to resign and rejoin which does have some impacts particularly around pensions, TU membership, length of service etc.

For internal roles you have to pass your probation - usually six months but I have known it to occasionally be reduced - to move on, but roles such as train operator do come out regularly, and the knowledge you'll gain from working on stations for a longer period will be invaluable.

If I was in your position I certainly wouldn't be banking on hearsay and would take the stations job and apply within next time - there may even be other jobs that take your fancy before then.
Appreciate it thank you! Looking forward to starting with LU working on the frontline again, I’ve always loved the frontline back on gateline and platforms. I do have a bit of experience in the railway and in Station Ops. My plan was always to get into LU because of the vast opportunities available.

Wakky

Got my Conditional offer today, wanted to thank everyone on the forum for their advice, really helped throughout the process

ave_it

Pleased to have got a conditional offer yesterday. Thanks in no small part to people's contributions in this thread that put me at ease about the roleplay in particular.

Does anyone know if the training is 5 days a week on weekdays or does it follow a different pattern? Thanks

CLAUBALMANT

Hi All!

I've been reading through this forum throughout my whole process and have successfully been offered a conditional position, so thank you all haha

I've just completed my the Reed portion of this and was reading through and seen it usually takes around 2 weeks for this to be completed, im assuming after this is the medical and drug and alcohol test, may I ask how long afterwards I should expect a contract if successful? I'm just wondering about when to put in a notice as mine is 4 weeks.

Thank you :))
what was your role-play scenario?

Wizimatic

To think I’m still waiting to know my result after third stage since 21st of February. Anyone experiencing that too from my timeline ?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Classroom training is MF 9ish to 5ish, with a move to shifts once your location training begins. You should get around 28 days notice, slightly less when first starting, and generally anything pre-booked will be honoured once you’re out the classroom (but you’ll need the receipts!).

I believe CSA training is 3-4 weeks now, a recent entrant may be able to confirm. :)

dazzag

Ok that's great !! Thanks for the information. I am hoping for VR from RM but possibly won't be til later in the year or next year . Soo... If I was to apply and say get further than expected and get an offer etc . Do you know how long I can delay it for ? It's a big juggling act co ordinating a job change .

Also can you tell me what the starting salary is ? Is seen various salary mentioned from 26k 29k 30k so not unsure what's what . I've always lived on overtime so see your post about limited overtime which would be a bit worrying considering

moonie95

Ok that's great !! Thanks for the information. I am hoping for VR from RM but possibly won't be til later in the year or next year . Soo... If I was to apply and say get further than expected and get an offer etc . Do you know how long I can delay it for ? It's a big juggling act co ordinating a job change .

Also can you tell me what the starting salary is ? Is seen various salary mentioned from 26k 29k 30k so not unsure what's what . I've always lived on overtime so see your post about limited overtime which would be a bit worrying considering
Training rate is paid at £24,305.
And then after successful completion of training it goes to CSA2 salary of £30,381 per annum. But there is an increase due in April because of the pay negotiations deal.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Training rate is paid at £24,305.
And then after successful completion of training it goes to CSA2 salary of £30,381 per annum. But there is an increase due in April because of the pay negotiations deal.
The increase is due in May.

CSA2 will be somewhere in the £33k mark once that’s completed. As mentioned previously, it is worth bearing in mind that LU pays 4-weekly, ie 13 times a year, so it’s important to work that out and align accordingly with any outgoings.

For reference CSA1 is currently £38,994 so after the pay deal is implemented will be over £40k. Everyone should get this as an automatic promotion after a year or so.

Salaries are likely to increase further once the 2024 pay talks are concluded.

As a general point, living on overtime is a very bad idea…

dazzag

The increase is due in May.

CSA2 will be somewhere in the £33k mark once that’s completed. As mentioned previously, it is worth bearing in mind that LU pays 4-weekly, ie 13 times a year, so it’s important to work that out and align accordingly with any outgoings.

For reference CSA1 is currently £38,994 so after the pay deal is implemented will be over £40k. Everyone should get this as an automatic promotion after a year or so.

Salaries are likely to increase further once the 2024 pay talks are concluded.

As a general point, living on overtime is a very bad idea…

:D

Carpetsgalore

So I have completed my role-play and scenario interview yesterday.
Is it now the case if I passed that the next step is to complete a medical. If so is it possible I can choose the date for this myself? As I need to renew my spectacles/contact lenses so I can pas the eye test, obviously this will take a little time between booking an eye test and waiting for new specs to arrive.
Thanks

mrldn

So I have completed my role-play and scenario interview yesterday.
Is it now the case if I passed that the next step is to complete a medical. If so is it possible I can choose the date for this myself? As I need to renew my spectacles/contact lenses so I can pas the eye test, obviously this will take a little time between booking an eye test and waiting for new specs to arrive.
Thanks
Hi could share what your role play was and what scenario based questions they asked? Thanks

Maki

what was your role-play scenario?
Mine was similar to some others that I've seen here, passenger that had a long day at work and was sleeping with feet up on the chairs on the platform. They were also a little agitated and just wanted to be left alone

I remembered reading on this forum (and on the brief They give you) about not having feet on chairs so I made sure to do my best to have them remove their feet. Also had a casual convo with them just to build "report" so to speak.

They also were feeling a little dizzy or ill when they stood up so I made sure to check if they were alright, and offered some water or medical assistance :)

Have you had your role play yet?