• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 intake)

Shezu

training so far is again 2 weeks at ashfield and then 2 weeks in a station.
First two weeks Training is at Ashfield, then 3rd week shadowing at your station and 4th week, Training is at Ashfield again.

Edit: Actually I was just told in the class that we don't do training anymore on 4th week. So it's just first two weeks. And then your station permanently.

First week CSA2 training and second week CSA1 training.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dazzag

First two weeks Training is at Ashfield, then 3rd week shadowing at your station and 4th week, Training is at Ashfield again.

Edit: Actually I was just told in the class that we don't do training anymore on 4th week. So it's just first two weeks. And then your station permanently.

First week CSA2 training and second week CSA1 training
Do you get a choice of stations ?
What's the typical type of rotas you will have to work ?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
No, but you can do a mutual swap with anyone on your course. The job advert and contract is very clear that you may be required to work anywhere on the Tube network.

Rosters far too varied to give specific examples, but you’ll be working anywhere from ~0430 in the morning through to ~0100 at night, depending on location, including weekends.

Once you start and pass probation you are able to nominate to move to a different location, subject to waiting lists etc.

Shezu

What I have realised is, as a CSA2 starter, you will get mostly zone 1 stations and zone 2 that are big and established. For example, Waterloo, Liverpool Street Station or something like that. A few people got like Canary Wharf and Heathrow and they all live close by or max 45 minutes travel time. Out of 30 people in my batch, only couple of us wanted to swap but rest were happy with the stations they are allocated. I wanted to swap as well, not because of travel time (30 minutes door to door), but it's located near Soho and Trafalgar Square, imagine all those tourists with ticketing issues and drunk people on Friday and Saturday. That's just me! But work is work.

You are able to swap with your fellow colleagues and they give you three days to swap. We were given allocation on Day 1 and we had chance to swap by Day 3, but then again you won't have much room to swap because most stations are in Zone 1, so who are you going to swap with? People will offer you Embankment, Bond Street, Oxford Circus, Tottenham Court and so on. They are like literally a few minutes apart. Those lucky to get Zone 2's won't swap, with someone who got Zone 1. But all in all, 95% were happy with their allocated stations.

After your 6 month probation, you are able to nominate a station and when spaces become available, you can move, as explained by @bluegoblin7

moonie95

What I have realised is, as a CSA2 starter, you will get mostly zone 1 stations and zone 2 that are big and established. For example, Waterloo, Liverpool Street Station or something like that. A few people got like Canary Wharf and Heathrow and they all live close by or max 45 minutes travel time. Out of 30 people in my batch, only couple of us wanted to swap but rest were happy with the stations they are allocated. I wanted to swap as well, not because of travel time (30 minutes door to door), but it's located near Soho and Trafalgar Square, imagine all those tourists with ticketing issues and drunk people on Friday and Saturday. That's just me! But work is work.

You are able to swap with your fellow colleagues and they give you three days to swap. We were given allocation on Day 1 and we had chance to swap by Day 3, but then again you won't have much room to swap because most stations are in Zone 1, so who are you going to swap with? People will offer you Embankment, Bond Street, Oxford Circus, Tottenham Court and so on. They are like literally a few minutes apart. Those lucky to get Zone 2's won't swap, with someone who got Zone 1. But all in all, 95% were happy with their allocated stations.

After your 6 month probation, you are able to nominate a station and when spaces become available, you can move, as explained by @bluegoblin7
I start training coming Monday 15th April, which station did you get Tottenham Court Road?
I wouldn’t mind taking TCR from you lol

danyjac

J

Hi, I start in the 29th. Yes I’ve done my medical, you should have received a email with the questionnaire you just need to print off. I would chase it up because once you have done your medical you have to wait to be cleared. It can delay you start date. Are you cleared with reed.
My start date is on 29th as well and I have been booked for the medical next week but I did the receive the questionnaire. I tried mailing them and calling them as well but I haven’t received any response or the questionnaire.

J

Hi, I start in the 29th. Yes I’ve done my medical, you should have received a email with the questionnaire you just need to print off. I would chase it up because once you have done your medical you have to wait to be cleared. It can delay you start date. Are you cleared with reed.
And yes, I have been cleared by reed

San.

I start training coming Monday 15th April, which station did you get Tottenham Court Road?

Doesn't work like that unfortutantly.

So from my understanding you can only swap within the class you are in. If there is multiple classes, for example there was 1 other class with my class, you can see if someone want to swap from the other classes with you only after trying to 1st swap within your class.

After like the 3/4th day you can't swap and the station is set. Which mean you can't swap with new staff that just began the training. Only the ones you first started training with.

Shezu

Thank you for the offer. But unfortunately as @San. mentioned you can only swap with your group and you only get two days to swap. After that it's locked, until your probation ends and the new station that you nominate becomes vacant. Which is cool, at least you can move later on.

danyjac

Doesn't work like that unfortutantly.

So from my understanding you can only swap within the class you are in. If there is multiple classes, for example there was 1 other class with my class, you can see if someone want to swap from the other classes with you only after trying to 1st swap within your class.

After like the 3/4th day you can't swap and the station is set. Which mean you can't swap with new staff that just began the training. Only the ones you first started training with.
Hi, do you start right the next day after your training ends??

jackblack213

First week CSA2 training and second week CSA1 training.

Does anyone know if the part time training is the same? I.e is it 2 weeks in the classroom and then 2 weeks full time in a station? Or just 2 weeks in the classroom and straight into part time at your station.

londontown

Well it didn't go as well unfortunately. Didn't manage all the answers on the ticket checks.
Any tips for doing this quicker in future? I work in railway so should know better. I assume it's the reason I didn't get through to the role play stage but the email only stated too many applicants and I applied very very late.

SunSeeker

Hi, do you start right the next day after your training ends??
Training ends on a Friday, you would normally start at your station then following Monday. LU's week is from Sunday - Saturday.
Does anyone know if the part time training is the same? I.e is it 2 weeks in the classroom and then 2 weeks full time in a station? Or just 2 weeks in the classroom and straight into part time at your station.
Part time or full time makes no difference to the training you receive.

Flow

My start date is on 29th as well and I have been booked for the medical next week but I did the receive the questionnaire. I tried mailing them and calling them as well but I haven’t received any response or the questionnaire.

And yes, I have been cleared by reed
You bring the medical questionnaire with you.

Shezu

Sorry correction * “but I did not receive the medical questionnaire”.

I tried calling and emailing them about the same but I haven’t received any response so far
You will get it together with your contract offer and when you book your medical.

Noorullah

Good afternoon
My start date is 27 may and applied for screening last Friday , just wondering how many days it takes by reed
Secondly I was selected Csa1 night tube and then offered part time 20 hours in February, but I am still not sure whether they offering me night tube or 20 hour evenings part time
Anyone else in this group got same scenario
Plz comment

coffeetable

start date is 27 may and applied for screening last Friday , just wondering how many days it takes by reed
Secondly I was selected Csa1 night tube and then offered part time 20 hours in February, but I am still not sure whether they offering me night tube or 20 hour evenings part time
Anyone else in this
Good question. When you filled out the onboarding documents, did you fill the details on this document: "TfL: Duty of Care—CSA Part Time—Days" or "TfL: Duty of Care—CSA Night Tube"?

Noorullah

Good question. When you filled out the onboarding documents, did you fill the details on this document: "TfL: Duty of Care—CSA Part Time—Days" or "TfL: Duty of Care—CSA Night Tube"?
Night tube , as i filed forms last July when I got offer and re submitted again last week and now another question please
List of courses they sent to me on available dates head is
CSA2 FULL TUNE COURSES
it might be for training availability nothing to do part time or full time I think

Night tube , as i filed forms last July when I got offer and re submitted again last week and now another question please
List of courses they sent to me on available dates head i
CSA2 FULL TIME COURSES
it might be for training availability nothing to do part time or full time I think

coffeetable

@Noorullah Yes, you're absolutely right. The file named "CSA2 Full Time Courses Form (1)" is for booking courses. I'm sure the position you have applied for is part-time PM. Moreover, Did they send you the onboarding files again last week? If so, it might be worth checking the Duty of Care file specifically for any mention of using the Daytime or Night Tube.

Wizimatic

I finally got an offer on the 5th of April since 22nd of Feb which was the date of my third stage. It’s been a long wait but glad I’m here. I filled the onboarding documents and sent to the appropriate email on the same 5th of April but haven’t heard back since then. Anyone experiencing that? How long to wait after sending back onboarding documents?

gabsy

I finally got an offer on the 5th of April since 22nd of Feb which was the date of my third stage. It’s been a long wait but glad I’m here. I filled the onboarding documents and sent to the appropriate email on the same 5th of April but haven’t heard back since then. Anyone experiencing that? How long to wait after sending back onboarding documents?
Somehow I think we are in the same condition, I got my offer on 8th and filled the onboarding documents and submitted on the 9th and haven't heard anything back

San.

Do CSA get any weekends off
TFL week starts on a Sunday. Go into this work expecting to work weekends, unless you get lucky and get part time role, but since this is shift work, you most likely end up doing 1 or both days.

You'll be lucky to have a whole weekend off when doing full time.

Lookstart

The first two weeks of training are 9-5...how about the second two weeks at stations are they also 9-5.

When we do complete training how far in advance so we receive the rota and timing of our first week or two of shifts.

I'd need a couple of weeks to arrange childcare in advance of my first few weeks of shifts

Shezu

The first two weeks aren't really 9-5, especially second week. You finish early in your second week around 2:30 pm. Station days are 7:30 hours everyday, they can be morning shift or afternoon shifts. You get your timetable for stations in the second week

Lookstart

The first two weeks aren't really 9-5, especially second week. You finish early in your second week around 2:30 pm. Station days are 7:30 hours everyday, they can be morning shift or afternoon shifts. You get your timetable for stations in the second week
Thank You

Tobes1994

I'm happy to share files that have come from a FOI request, as I know they have been suitably redacted by LU.

With that in mind... Here are the shift patterns for numerous stations.

If I extract an example of King's Cross (attached), and you go to page 4 you will see the roster for CSA2.View attachment 154354

It looks complex if you're not used to shift work, but it's fairly simple to understand. You will be allocated a roster line, but if you imagine you start at Week 1, that is Sunday/ Monday rest days and then 'Dead Lates'.

You then simply drop down to Week 2, and find that you'll be doing 'Lates' (finishing around 2200hrs), with split rest days which facilitates a weekend off (end of Week 2/beginning of Week 3).

Week 3 looks a bit tiring tbh, 'Lates', 'Middles' and 'Earlies' all in a single week! And so on. This roster allows you to plan your life around it as it rarely changes.

Cover weeks have been covered by another post.

Lastly, and only for extra info, the Schematic at KX gives a better understanding of the tasks each grade should be doing and where they'll be working at any given time. You can have a look, but it's not something worth going into here I don't think. (The quality will be much better on the actual pdf from the FOI)
View attachment 154357
Sorry what does 'relief' mean?

Just booked my 3rd round of interview the SBI- and ngl I'm really nervous

A quick question-

1) I have 3 planned holidays from a short weekend to 2 full weeks- I presume that I'm not guaranteed to take these- even though I booked them before i knew i got the job.

2) How soon after you passed the 3rd round do they tell you when you start the training as presume you need to give notice to your current employer?

If i think of anymore I will be sure to post here.

Sorry for another post what is AC2/AC3? Also seen my email says

Congratulations on securing a place at the Customer Service Assistant 1, but the role i applied for was CSA 2, and the email asking me to book said CSA 2. Should I email them to double check?

Last edited:

Mawkie

Sorry what does 'relief' mean?
On the rosters? It's the start time of your meal relief (lunch break).
1) I have 3 planned holidays from a short weekend to 2 full weeks- I presume that I'm not guaranteed to take these- even though I booked them before i knew i got the job.
I think if you have told them about the holidays during the application process they are likely to honour them.

Can't help with the rest of your questions, but hopefully someone with recent experience will be along.