• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground lines sharing tracks with other services

Status
Not open for further replies.

axlrosen

Newbie question: Are there any London Underground lines that have to share tracks with other services? I would guess that some of the Metropolitan Line tracks are shared, right?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
Lots of them:
  • The Circle line shares with the Hammersmith & City, District and Metropolitan lines.
  • The Piccadilly line shares with the District line (around Ealing Common).
  • The Piccadilly line shares with the Metropolitan line (Uxbridge branch).
  • The District line and Hammersmith & City line share the route out to Whitechapel and Barking.
  • The Bakerloo line shares with London Overground (north of Queen's Park).
  • The District line also shares with London Overground (Richmond branch).
  • The Metropolitan line also shares with Chiltern Railways on the run out to Amersham.

Stampy

And the District also shares part of it's line between Wimbledon and (i think) East Putney ??

Deepgreen

Established Member
The District line also shares with SWR from East Putney to Wimbledon Park, with almost all the SWR movements being ECS back to Wimbledon depot avoiding the main line.

axlrosen

Lots of them:
  • The Circle line shares with the Hammersmith & City, District and Metropolitan lines.
  • The Piccadilly line shares with the District line (around Ealing Common).
  • The Piccadilly line shares with the Metropolitan line (Uxbridge branch).
  • The District line and Hammersmith & City line share the route out to Whitechapel and Barking.
  • The Bakerloo line shares with London Overground (north of Queen's Park).
  • The District line also shares with London Overground (Richmond branch).
  • The Metropolitan line also shares with Chiltern Railways on the run out to Amersham.

Yes, sorry, I meant sharing with non-Underground services. Or really I guess what I'm interested in is, services that aren't on the TfL map.

So that leaves the Amersham line. Where does it start sharing? I know that closer in to Marylebone, they have separate tracks.

Railguy1

Yes, sorry, I meant sharing with non-Underground services. Or really I guess what I'm interested in is, services that aren't on the TfL map.

So that leaves the Amersham line. Where does it start sharing? I know that closer in to Marylebone, they have separate tracks.

Just before Harrow-on-the-Hill.

transmanche

Established Member
The District line Wimbledon branch is also used by SWR trains as far as Putney, working ECS to/from Waterloo - and occasionally in service when diverted for engineering work.

(This branch used to owned by BR, with stations even operated by BR despite no BR services calling, until the line was transferred to LU in 1994.)

axlrosen

I guess you can actually see it on the map. Chitern and Metropolitan are nearly touching from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Amersham. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

There's a similar closeness between c2c and District/Hammersmith between Bow Road and Barking. Do they share track?

On the other hand, I don't see anything on the map on the Wimbledon branch. (Not sure what ECS is.)

transmanche

Established Member
There's a similar closeness between c2c and District/Hammersmith between Bow Road and Barking. Do they share track?
No, they run alongside each other but do not share tracks.

On the other hand, I don't see anything on the map on the Wimbledon branch. (Not sure what ECS is.)
ECS stands for Empty Coaching Stock; e.g. trains running empty and out of service to/from the depot.

Have a look at this map instead. It shows individual track detail that you won't see on the tube map. If you zoom in on the Wimbledon branch, you'll see it is marked green & black and there's a way for SWR trains to travel from Wimbledon station and Wimbledon Park depot towards East Putney.

bionic

Bakerloo line trains can also remain on the DC lines between Queens Park and Kilburn High Road for ECS shunt moves.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Transmanche has explained about most SWR services along there being empty to or from the depot, but there are a handful of passenger services that go that way to keep up route knowledge of the line. But as they are all non stop through the area there’s probably no need to put the actual route taken on the route diagrams, in other words the diversion has no effect on normal passenger calls.

Here’s a snapshot of a day’s SWR services on the District Wimbledon branch, and just to show there’s always the odd exception to normal, 2F79 is terminating in the LU part of the station...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...-2359?stp=WVS&show=passenger&order=wtt&toc=SW

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That sounds so interesting... what do you mean?
On some occasions, typically during planned weekend engineering works, SWR have run a far more significant service along that route. It was also used for a few more daily passenger services than normal during last August’s major work at Waterloo. So drivers are continually practising the route on a precautionary basis.

Incidentally, the reason so many empty stock workings go that way to Wimbledon depot is because down direction trains through Earlsfield would have to cross the up slow, down fast and up fast on the level, and that would wreck the timetable. So they head out of Waterloo on the Windsor/Reading lines and can ‘take a left’ via East Putney, and another left into Wimbledon depot. Much easier to timetable.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Transmanche has explained about most SWR services along there being empty to or from the depot, but there are a handful of passenger services that go that way to keep up route knowledge of the line. But as they are all non stop through the area there’s probably no need to put the actual route taken on the route diagrams, in other words the diversion has no effect on normal passenger calls.

Here’s a snapshot of a day’s SWR services on the District Wimbledon branch, and just to show there’s always the odd exception to normal, 2F79 is terminating in the LU part of the station...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...-2359?stp=WVS&show=passenger&order=wtt&toc=SW
I believe these have not operated in the Up direction since the derailment on 6 November 2017, the track repairs have still not been commissioned.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe these have not operated in the Up direction since the derailment on 6 November 2017, the track repairs have still not been commissioned.
Yes I thought that was probably still the case, but possibly too much detail for the originally posted question.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

There's a minor effect, probably most relevent on the Down services, in that they (of course) call at the Windsor platforms at Clapham and possibly Vauxhall rather than the Mainline platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.