• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground "S" Stock moves on the National Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
The LU S Stock moves that are currently happening on the lines through Banbury and to Derby are very interesting to me as I am very interested in the Tube. I'd like to be able to see some of these moves before they inevitably finish, but I'm not sure which moves include S Stocks and which ones don't.
I've looked on RTT and there seems to be one move starting at "West Ruislip Lul Dept Gbrf" and ending at Banbury, but I don't know if this would include any S Stock units as it is heading away from London.
If I want to see the Tube stock, what services should I be looking for and what times? I think that they run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

Thanks,

-Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Always used to be 7X09 and 7X10, I think they are Class 6 now. They were always late at night as pathing them is a pain due to odd gauge clearances, they had to go via the back platform or loop at Dorridge if I recall. They tended to run STP or VSTP north of Banbury as the paths never really worked.

Peter C

Established Member
Always used to be 7X09 and 7X10, I think they are Class 6 now. They were always late at night as pathing them is a pain due to odd gauge clearances, they had to go via the back platform or loop at Dorridge if I recall. They tended to run STP or VSTP north of Banbury as the paths never really worked.
Oh ok. Thank you very much.

rgwwfc

The LU S Stock moves that are currently happening on the lines through Banbury and to Derby are very interesting to me as I am very interested in the Tube. I'd like to be able to see some of these moves before they inevitably finish, but I'm not sure which moves include S Stocks and which ones don't.
I've looked on RTT and there seems to be one move starting at "West Ruislip Lul Dept Gbrf" and ending at Banbury, but I don't know if this would include any S Stock units as it is heading away from London.
If I want to see the Tube stock, what services should I be looking for and what times? I think that they run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

Thanks,

-Peter
hi Peter,
where would you be hoping to see them?
derby to ruislip is easy to pick up from RTT obviously because it leaves much earlier in the day and spends time layed over at Banbury.
in the other direction it can be cancelled at late notice and cause a wasted journey!
I myself live in wycombe and on a still night the top and tail 20s make a wonderful sound in the valley.
on the days when they operate ruislip to derby then at west ruislip they often sit the whole formation in the adjacent run around to the central line station for the afternoon.
photos from the central line platforms would be achievable.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What are these "S" stock moves in connection with? I thought all "S" stock had now been delivered?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What are these "S" stock moves in connection with? I thought all "S" stock had now been delivered?
AIUI they were all delivered, but then they all have to go back to Derby to have modifications, presumably those for the new SSR signalling system. I wondered about PeterC’s first post about moves “heading away from London” not including S Stock.

Until the programme concludes trains going up must balance those coming back down surely?

Peter C

Established Member
hi Peter,
where would you be hoping to see them?
derby to ruislip is easy to pick up from RTT obviously because it leaves much earlier in the day and spends time layed over at Banbury.
in the other direction it can be cancelled at late notice and cause a wasted journey!
I myself live in wycombe and on a still night the top and tail 20s make a wonderful sound in the valley.
on the days when they operate ruislip to derby then at west ruislip they often sit the whole formation in the adjacent run around to the central line station for the afternoon.
photos from the central line platforms would be achievable.

I'm looking to see them in the Banbury area, which I know they go through.
You say that they leave early in the day; how early? As much as I like trains, I'm not prepared to stay awake until 10/11pm to see a Tube train!

Thanks,

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
AIUI they were all delivered, but then they all have to go back to Derby to have modifications, presumably those for the new SSR signalling system. I wondered about PeterC’s first post about moves “heading away from London” not including S Stock.

Until the programme concludes trains going up must balance those coming back down surely?
I don't know about why the S Stock trains are still being moved about. I'd like to know!

-Peter

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't know about why the S Stock trains are still being moved about. I'd like to know!

-Peter
Definitely mods to allow ATO, just searched on the “District Dave” LU forum. AFAICT they passed the half way mark some time last year.

rgwwfc

You say that they leave early in the day; how early? As much as I like trains, I'm not prepared to stay awake until 10/11pm to see a Tube train!

Thanks,

-Peter
arrived banbury 20:54 last night and left at 22:37.

Thanks,

-Peter
arrived banbury 20:50 last night and departed at 22:40 so not too late for you!
the move left derby at about 16:00 so my point was that on the southbound moves you get plenty of notice if you check RTT.

Peter C

Established Member
arrived banbury 20:54 last night and left at 22:37.

arrived banbury 20:50 last night and departed at 22:40 so not too late for you!
the move left derby at about 16:00 so my point was that on the southbound moves you get plenty of notice if you check RTT.
Thanks very much.

I may be being annoying, but even 2050 is too late; I don't live in Banbury so I can't just walk to the station and back. Thanks very much anyway!
I'll have a look on RTT for any other places on the journey between Derby and Banbury that I could see an S Stock move at.

Cheers,

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Definitely mods to allow ATO, just searched on the “District Dave” LU forum. AFAICT they passed the half way mark some time last year.
Oh OK.
If they passed the "halfway" mark last year, that must mean that we have somewhat limited time to see the rest of these movements. Do you know when they started the movements? If we know this, we can work out the sort of time that we can expect the moves to end.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Oh OK.
If they passed the "halfway" mark last year, that must mean that we have somewhat limited time to see the rest of these movements. Do you know when they started the movements? If we know this, we can work out the sort of time that we can expect the moves to end.
I’d be guessing to be honest, I’ve no idea what the cycle time is, or how many trains they can do in parallel.

Might be a better idea to ask a specific question about the overall timescales in our LU sub-forum. I know the District Dave LU forum has a policy of not reporting moves as they happen, as they were worried the trains were being targeted by ‘artists’ while in transit...

Peter C

Established Member
I’d be guessing to be honest, I’ve no idea what the cycle time is, or how many trains they can do in parallel.

Might be a better idea to ask a specific question about the overall timescales in our LU sub-forum. I know the District Dave LU forum has a policy of not reporting moves as they happen, as they were worried the trains were being targeted by ‘artists’ while in transit...
OK. Thanks for the advice.

Having spent a few minutes on the District Dave Forum, yes; they are very worried about "artists", as you so kindly put it!

Established Member
Another S stock has just arrived in Derby so possibly another going back down this evening like Tuesday. Tuesday and Thursday look like popular days for S stock moves.

Peter C

Established Member
Another S stock has just arrived in Derby so possibly another going back down this evening like Tuesday. Tuesday and Thursday look like popular days for S stock moves.
OK. Thanks. In a perfect world, I'm looking for a movement at a weekend at a suitable time.

-Peter

Freightmaster

Established Member
Sorry to bother you, but what is this service (origin / destination)?
7X08 Derby Litchurch Lane to Banbury

For the record, it has run three days (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) this week,
and did the same two weeks ago, but not at all the week in between, which suggests
there might be a 'fallow' week again next week, but at least the week after that (the
first week of April) will see daylight until after 7pm, so the train will be viewable at
more locations...

Good luck! :smile:

MARK

Peter C

Established Member
7X08 Derby Litchurch Lane to Banbury

For the record, it has run three days (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) this week,
and did the same two weeks ago, but not at all the week in between, which suggests
there might be a 'fallow' week again next week, but at least the week after that (the
first week of April) will see daylight until after 7pm, so the train will be viewable at
more locations...

Good luck! :smile:

MARK
OK. Thanks. I'll look into the movements more to see if there are any which I can see.

-Peter

Dstock7080

Established Member
If it’s any help, just two S8 trains 21055/56 21109/10 still to leave London and 15 S7 trains.
On average trains spend around 22 days away from London.
All must be returned and tested by July for commissioning of next CBTC signalling area.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
If it’s any help, just two S8 trains 21055/56 21109/10 still to leave London and 15 S7 trains.
On average trains spend around 22 days away from London.
All must be returned and tested by July for commissioning of next CBTC signalling area.
OK. Thanks.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.