• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground trains should have proper corridors between coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
one thing this proves is that Underground trains need proper corridors between coaches, so there's a real escape route in the event of fire

And so nothing to stop the fire/fumes running along the length of the train either. I think if I was on a train with something on fire in a carriage, I'd rather have to go through a door like now, and shut it behind me, than be able to more away more quickly but have the smoke follow me...

HSTEd

Veteran Member
And so nothing to stop the fire/fumes running along the length of the train either. I think if I was on a train with something on fire in a carriage, I'd rather have to go through a door like now, and shut it behind me, than be able to more away more quickly but have the smoke follow me...
MOst of the time the door is going to have to stay open to allow the evacuation to continue, and the narrow passageway is just going to slow down the evacuation and put people in greater danger.

I think the NTfL, if it ever happens, is going to the S-STock model of a continuous internal cabin, at which point people will be able to rapidly flow down the train away from the hazard.

Bartsimho

The S stock and EL stock have walk through corridors and it doesn't seem to be a safety concern. Of course the Deep Level Tubes are a different thing but they could be done. Although any new units will be phased so the 2009 Stock will stay until probably 2060.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
just a bloody big hole between the doors to fall into
it needs to be a safe corridor

There are rubbing plates and handles. Admittedly it's no good for disabled people but any able bodied person would be able to use it. It's what is standard on mainline trains in e.g. Thailand.

Could it be better? Of course; I was just taking issue with people implying there was no way between coaches when in fact there is.

Trainbike46

Established Member
MOst of the time the door is going to have to stay open to allow the evacuation to continue, and the narrow passageway is just going to slow down the evacuation and put people in greater danger.

I think the NTfL, if it ever happens, is going to the S-STock model of a continuous internal cabin, at which point people will be able to rapidly flow down the train away from the hazard.
The 2024 stock is coming for the picadilly line (in 2025), and is a walk-through design

Hopefully at some point they will confirm that these will come to the bakerloo line too - the 1972 stock can't keep going forever

Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/northern-line-train-evacuation-at-clapham-common.248161/

one thing this proves is that Underground trains need proper corridors between coaches, so there's a real escape route in the event of fire

In the long term all trains on the LU will get walk-through trains: the Circle, Hammersmith & City, District and Metropolitan lines already have them, and the are on the way for the picadilly line

MarkyT

Established Member
The 2024 stock is coming for the picadilly line (in 2025), and is a walk-through design

Hopefully at some point they will confirm that these will come to the bakerloo line too - the 1972 stock can't keep going forever

In the long term all trains on the LU will get walk-through trains: the Circle, Hammersmith & City, District and Metropolitan lines already have them, and the are on the way for the picadilly line
Also in London, the new CAF DLR trains are fully walkthrough. Passengers seem to like the feature for security and it allows internal redistribution to avoid overcrowding in individual cars. It probably slightly reduces boarding times too as passengers can get on at any door and walk through. I think most administrations around the world are adopting the feature on new stock.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Also in London, the new CAF DLR trains are fully walkthrough. Passengers seem to like the feature for security and it allows internal redistribution to avoid overcrowding in individual cars. It probably slightly reduces boarding times too as passengers can get on at any door and walk through. I think most administrations around the world are adopting the feature on new stock.
Also seen on mainline stock that runs metro-type operations - Class 378, 777 and the Desiro City family among others.

MarkyT

Established Member
Also seen on mainline stock that runs metro-type operations - Class 378, 777 and the Desiro City family among others.
Even the Stadler UK FLIRTS have a fairly open gangway between adjacent passenger cars over the articulated bogies, not as wide over the full height as typical metro units but gives a similar impression, uniting the saloons. Through the vroom cupboard is more limited, clearly!

Status
Not open for further replies.