• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground wi-fi charges from January

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
From January, the current free wi-fi service provided by Virgin Media at stations will be £2 per day except for customers to Virgin Media, Vodafone and EE (T-Mobile and Orange) who'll continue to have free access.

It's not really good value for money if for most people, they'll only access it for maybe 2-3 mins at a time between the gateline and the platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
So it looks like quite a bit of people will still get it for free? Sounds good to me

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
One of my colleagues uses it for instant messaging, and manages to send a response to questions every time his train pulls into the platform for a few seconds and his phone re-associates with the Wifi. It makes for very slow discussions

Daniel

Established Member
Current planned prices are £2 a day, however there is also planned to be a weekly £5 charge or a monthly £15 charge, which seems much more reasonable.

Ivo

Established Member
Is there anything to stop a user sitting on a platform for ages whilst using this system? Of course, there are some situations - travelling to Chigwell for instance - where waits of over 15 minutes may be required...

Daniel

Established Member
Is there anything to stop a user sitting on a platform for ages whilst using this system? Of course, there are some situations - travelling to Chigwell for instance - where waits of over 15 minutes may be required...

Nope, nothing to stop you. Other than if you're on Oyster!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
But the connection time to connect to the WiFi would probably be about 20 seconds or more, as somebody I know had said, and there is only like 2-3 minutes, like which has already been mentioned, so really there isn't any point in the WiFi if your only there for a few minutes, not like you can do much either.

If they had it on the trains that would be better, I'm not an expert but is there a way of getting it on a train running underground? I know it would be fine on trains running overground, WiFi on the Met would be alright once you get overground same with the Central line up to Epping.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You don't have to board the first train! I've skipped 3-4 to use the Internet, which is ridiculously quick at most stations. Great for uploading files (eg video).

bicbasher

Established Member
You don't have to board the first train! I've skipped 3-4 to use the Internet, which is ridiculously quick at most stations. Great for uploading files (eg video).

I used the wi-fi to stream a high bitrate radio station using the tune-in app going between the Jubilee and Northern lines at Waterloo using the travelator, solid reception and coverage throughout the station complex. Amazing!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I have to say that it's great that so few people even know there is Wi-Fi. That and the fact that Virgin Media wants to show off the sorts of speed you can get from the company - so they've not capped the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.