• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Zone 1 Travel with children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveoh

Hi all

I'm sure this has all been asked before I can't seem to find the answers.

I will to travelling to London on Saturday 16th April arriving into St Pancras around 9:15.

There will be two adults one with an Oyster card and two children (6 and 3).

We are likely to be making a number of zone 1 journeys on the underground but are unlikely to venture any further.

As far as I can tell child travel is free - but only under certain conditions. I see you can get a child zip oyster card but it seems to cost £10. The admin fee doesn't seem to me to be worth it, given that this is a once off trip. Am I supposed to carry the 3 year old through the barriers?

I want to get all tickets, travelcards, Oysters, contactless or whatever tickets, cards loaded etc in advance of travel. Last time I went we ended up queuing for an hour at the ticket vending machines.

I'm not necessarily bothered about the cheapest solution, but the cheapest that can be done in advance.

Advice greatly welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Hopefully the following will help:

EDIT: I can't get the formatting right: here is the link (which gives the answer that under-5s are always free, and 5-10s are free on the underground if accompanied by an adult):

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/travelling-with-children#on-this-page-2

The table below summarises where 5-10 year olds can travel free on each service.
Service If accompanied by an adult Unaccompanied

Bus and tram Free - no Oyster photocard needed Free - no Oyster photocard needed

Tube, DLR, London
Overground and TfL Rail Free - no Oyster photocard needed Free with a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard

Emirates Air Line Child-rate fares for children aged
5-15 - no Oyster photocard needed Unable to travel: children must be
accompanied by a fare paying adult at all times
National Rail
Green routes Free - no Oyster photocard needed Free with a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard

National Rail
Blue routes Free with a 5-10 Zip
Oyster photocard Free with a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard

Thames Clipper
River Bus services Child-rate fares for children aged
5-15 - no Oyster photocard needed Unable to travel - children must be accompanied
by a fare paying adult at all times

Children without a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard need to pay a child-rate fare on most National Rail services. They don't need an Oyster photocard to buy child-rate paper single and return tickets or Day Travelcards.

Last edited:

Steveoh

Thnaks. I swear that's changed since I last read it last week, but probably just me getting confused. So what are my options without a zip oyster card? Can I buy a child travel card in advance? Can I just carry the 3 year old without any sort of ticket?

Romilly

Established Member
No need for any child tickets of any kind if you are sticking to underground, buses and trams. On the underground, either the gatelines will be open, or there will be London Underground staff at one of the gatelines who will let your children (and you) through (but the adults will need to remember to touch in and out if using Oyster/contactless), or you could use the wide access gates.

Steveoh

Ah the penny has dropped. It's actually saying

Free travel on Tube, DLR, London Overground and TfL Rail services

If your child is under 11, they can travel free if:

They have a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard

OR

Are accompanied by an adult who is using pay as you go, or has a valid ticket (excluding Group Day Travelcards), a Freedom Pass or an Oyster photocard (up to four children per adult)

I.E. one or the other, not both. I did think it was a bit strange.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.