• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long distance commuting to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Well, the reason I do it is because I already have a base in Didcot which I would otherwise have to try and rent out again - the monthly travel card isn't too bad, £500 or so and includes Z1-6 tubes as well. We lived in zone 5 for a while and that was £200 a month, and a lot more unpleasant, and a lot more costly than £300 a month more to live there. So very happy to base myself further out.

Is that what you meant by the "Why don't you just commute straight to PAD" question? Because I do - the only day I don't is when I am coming from DHM, after the weekend.

Cheers

Chris

Ok I see. If you already have a place in Didcot it makes sense to use that rather then rent somewhere in London and not have any commute Monday evening to Friday morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roverman

I can't comment on the prices, but the time thing is definitely more true than it ever was. Coventry is as close to London as Brighton is these days, the frequency of service is comparable too.

This is very true, I can get to London from Stafford in less time it takes my mother to travel up from Angmering.

In fact if I catch the 09:36 from STA (and she catches the 09:34 from ANG) I can get to Euston, jump on the Tube and meet her at the ticket barrier at Victoria when she arrives, probably on platform 16.

Gawd Bless VT ;)

Last edited:

alastair

This is very true, I can get to London from Stafford in less time it takes my mother to travel up from Angmering.

In fact if I catch the 09:36 from STA (and she catches the 09:34 from ANG) I can get to Euston, jump on the Tube and meet her at the ticket barrier at Victoria when she arrives, probably on platform 16.

Gawd Bless VT ;)

Well yes,except when the wires are down......

Rich McLean

Established Member
A while ago, for a few weeks here and there (normally 1 or 2 weeks at a time) I used to do a mamoth communute from Plymouth to Bagshot and back daily, which involved changing trains at Reading and Ascott. I would be up for 04:50, then catch the 0600 to Paddington (0552 it is now), get into reading just after half 8, head over to the SWT Platforms, train to Ascott, then change for the Bagshot train, and get in there for around half 9ish. Finish at half 4, and get back into Plymouth for around 22:00ish, and repeat.

Glad I don't have to go through that anymore. All paid for thankfully

L&Y Robert

The car-park at Banbury - px. 6o miles to M'bone - is full by half seven on a weekday morning. We're well within commuter range, and within the hour now, thanks to Chiltern!

Status
Not open for further replies.