• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long term sustainability of rail franchises such as GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daydr3am3r

Hi all

New to this forum. I am interested in becoming a train driver and appreciate the potential long road ahead!
However my question is how sustainable do you think some of these rail franchises are?
I see that the GWR contract has been extended but what is the long term security like for train drivers as part of a rail franchise that is effectively reliant on extra funding?

I live in the South West so am particularly interested with reference to GWR.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

Usually the drivers are TUPEd across to the new operator so I would not worry too much

It's easy to over-state how much actually changes when a new franchise begins. I'm sure the marketing department would like people to think that it's a brand new entity and a fresh approach; but in reality it's largely exactly the same staff, with only senior management really being shaken up.

In reality, the franchise system tends to do quite well for drivers, as there's a degree of competition between TOCs with regards to pay and benefits.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Some of the freight TOCs have had to slim down over the past few years with the demise of coal traffic, with driver redundancies.
The passenger TOCs seem to be growing steadily though, whatever the ownership.
What happens to GWR depends on how the Williams Review turns out, but it is due for re-bidding in a couple of years.

Daydr3am3r

Thanks for the replies.

I must admit the rail franchise system takes a while to get your head around!

Status
Not open for further replies.