• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest route on disused railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
If I might submit an idea from Ireland (featuring both parts thereof): how about, former Macfin Junction near Coleraine -- Magherafelt -- Cookstown -- Dungannon -- Omagh -- Enniskillen -- Manorhamilton -- Collooney -- Swinford -- Claremorris? I make this to be roughly 180 - 190 miles.

You can then add Claremorris - tuam - athenry, meaning you go. former Macfin Junction -- Magherafelt -- Cookstown -- Dungannon -- Omagh -- Enniskillen -- Manorhamilton -- Collooney -- Swinford -- Claremorris -- tuam -- athenry. I think Claremorris athenry is 73 miles, so your journey would be about 253/263 miles?

Oh, dear, I'm not in touch with things -- to my shame, I'd been imagining Claremorris -- Athenry still in use for freight. A quick bit of Googling, put paid to that notion. (Though I learn that track is still down on that section, under basic minimum maintenance.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DT611

Oh, dear, I'm not in touch with things -- to my shame, I'd been imagining Claremorris -- Athenry still in use for freight. A quick bit of Googling, put paid to that notion. (Though I learn that track is still down on that section, under basic minimum maintenance.)

It's last use was in 2001 i think, no maintenence is carried out but the track is still there.

Calthrop

Established Member
I was, in haste, "precis-ing": Googled item tells re Claremorris -- Athenry, of "work on clearing the line, undertaken by Iarnrod Eireann from November 2015 onwards. Works included reinstating fencing and removal of vegetation." I suppose, against the fairly outside chance of Fortune's wheel taking a favourable turn for this section...

As mentioned by me recently elsewhere on RailUKForums, I recently road-travelled the length, parallel, of the Navan -- Kingscourt section (also last used in 2001). Track found still in place, but hideously overgrown and in generally very bad shape -- think "Ffestiniog Railway circa 1952" ! The impression was got, that making this line usable again would be a dauntingly huge undertaking.

DT611

I was, in haste, "precis-ing": Googled item tells re Claremorris -- Athenry, of "work on clearing the line, undertaken by Iarnrod Eireann from November 2015 onwards. Works included reinstating fencing and removal of vegetation." I suppose, against the fairly outside chance of Fortune's wheel taking a favourable turn for this section...

Yes, i actually forgot about that. My bad. In general though, no maintenence of the track or anything more then doing fencing and things (to asert IE'S rights over the line) has taken place to my knowledge. It is very doubtful this section of line will reopen (and even if it did another line will likely close unfortunately)

As mentioned by me recently elsewhere on RailUKForums, I recently road-travelled the length, parallel, of the Navan -- Kingscourt section (also last used in 2001). Track found still in place, but hideously overgrown and in generally very bad shape -- think "Ffestiniog Railway circa 1952" ! The impression was got, that making this line usable again would be a dauntingly huge undertaking.

If it was needed again, i would agree there would be a good bit of work, but i think it would be very doable. I can't see it reopening either though.

Calthrop

Established Member
Strictly fantasy-land -- with Drogheda to Navan still in regular use for zinc ore from Tara Mines: Drogheda -- Navan -- Kingscourt would make a wonderful preserved operation with regular steam workings. To set that up and maintain it would, though -- I'd think -- bankrupt a billionaire.

DT611

Strictly fantasy-land -- with Drogheda to Navan still in regular use for zinc ore from Tara Mines: Drogheda -- Navan -- Kingscourt would make a wonderful preserved operation with regular steam workings. To set that up and maintain it would, though -- I'd think -- bankrupt a billionaire.

Yes, and it wouldn't be to far from dublin either.

SCH117X

Established Member
Afraid you'd only get as far as Loughborough, where the line to Hotchley Hill ruins it.
Could be argued that as the GC North uses it then its preserved, however the Nottm tram route to Clifton uses a section of the formation although largely at a different elevation. And then their are fair chunks of the route wholly destroyed in Nottm.

backontrack

Established Member
That may give me a little extra mileage ... Thank you :D

You're welcome. :smile:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you'll allow me a short open stretch to the north of Willington...

NEWARK Northgate-Cotham-MELTON MOWBRAY North-John O'Gaunt-LEICESTER Humberstone-COALVILLE Town-Hugglescote-Shackerstone-Swadlincote-Moira-Worthington-Willington Junction-Egginton-DERBY Friargate-West Hallam-Ilkeston-Bulwell Forest-Linby-Pinxton-Pleasley-ShirebrookNorth-Warsop-Edwinstowe-Farsnfield-Ollerton-Tuxford South-Skellingthorpe-WOODHALL Junction-Little Steeping

craigy68

You're welcome. :smile:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

NEWARK Northgate-Cotham-MELTON MOWBRAY North-John O'Gaunt-LEICESTER Humberstone-COALVILLE Town-Hugglescote-Shackerstone-Swadlincote-Moira-Worthington-Willington Junction-Egginton-DERBY Friargate-West Hallam-Ilkeston-Bulwell Forest-Linby-Pinxton-Pleasley-ShirebrookNorth-Warsop-Edwinstowe-Farsnfield-Ollerton-Tuxford South-Skellingthorpe-WOODHALL Junction-Little Steeping

I'll allow it for the effort that you have put in :D:D:D

route:oxford

Established Member
Lots in rural Scotland. Dunblane to Crianlarich is about 41 miles. Cairnie Junction to Elgin via The Coast 39 miles. Keith - Boat of Garten 48 miles. Aberdeen to Ballater 43 miles.

Perhaps head towards Crieff & Perth at Balquhidder? That would make it about 60 miles.

SCH117X

Established Member

You could add a few miles en route

Ilkeston-Nottm Vic-London Rd HL-Sherwood-Daybrook-Bulwell Forest

AndyW33

Could be argued that as the GC North uses it then its preserved, however the Nottm tram route to Clifton uses a section of the formation although largely at a different elevation. And then their are fair chunks of the route wholly destroyed in Nottm.
Quite apart from the totally destroyed section of alignment or the Clifton tram line, there's the key section of line between the bridge over Nottingham Midland station and Weekday Cross, including sections of original GC viaduct at original elevation, which has been used by Nottingham trams for years ever since the first phase of the tram revival there.

Status
Not open for further replies.