• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest visual tracking of an aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Spotting the occasional vapour trail recently has been a real treat. I have missed visual tracking of high altitude aircraft. I’ve often wondered (if it’s possible) to visibly track an aircraft over continental Europe from somewhere in the east of England, say the north Norfolk coast for example.

It is, given a clear enough atmosphere.

Note that on several days recently the upper atmospheric conditions have been such that contrails have not been forming; I've had to rely on finding the aircraft alone visually much of the time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altrincham

Note that on several days recently the upper atmospheric conditions have been such that contrails have not been forming; I've had to rely on finding the aircraft alone visually much of the time!

Yes, I’ve noticed this too. High altitude aircraft have been around but I’ve only been able to see the odd one through gaps in the cloud, but with no trail to visibly track.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Spotting the occasional vapour trail recently has been a real treat. I have missed visual tracking of high altitude aircraft. I’ve often wondered (if it’s possible) to visibly track an aircraft over continental Europe from somewhere in the east of England, say the north Norfolk coast for example.

Easily possible from the south east coast; Kent and Sussex for example.

route101

Established Member
Yes, I’ve noticed this too. High altitude aircraft have been around but I’ve only been able to see the odd one through gaps in the cloud, but with no trail to visibly track.

Interesting .

For some reason ive seen Flybe Dash 8s contrailing at 25,000 ft yet larger aircraft further up not contrailing.

Once i had aircraft contrailing at 16 to 20k out of Edinburgh, which id never seen before.

Usually aircraft dont contrail below 30,000FT

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's all to do with atmospheric conditions - not just the temperature and air pressure but also the moisture content of the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.