• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looe branch unfinished 1937 deviation

Snow1964

Established Member
Have been reading a GWR history book and it refers to a deviation for Looe branch, because it was difficult to work with steep gradients and reversal at Coombe Junction.

It says in 1937 work began on a new line from west of St Germans, was to have 2 intermediate stations, two tunnels (one of 2288 yards, other 700 yards), suggests it was partly built but work stopped after outbreak of World War 2

Seems work never restarted, and the line nearly got closed in 1966, but the old difficult alignment still carries on.

I have also seen it described as a replacement 7 mile line to high ground at East Looe with stations at Hesenford, Seaton Beach and Mildendreath. Would have started 3chains west of Crift Lane Bridge and been built to mainline standards. Apparently Looe would have been reached by a 175foot rise escalator (which seems massively long if normal 1 in 7 rise is allowed for)

Does anyone know anymore, is there part finished tunnels etc

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cornwall Railway Society has a detailed account of the proposed line.

Looe New Rly

WORK UNDERTAKEN:  Field survey ca January 1936 to September 1937, involving pegging out the centreline of the route and new access roads  Test drilling under GWR Contract 3153 of 31 January 1936 by C Isler and Company of Southwark: three boreholes along the line of Seaton Tunnel, one borehole close to South Bake farmhouse at approach to South Bake Tunnel, one borehole close to Looe Community Academy on line of Looe Tunnel  Test drilling under GWR Contract 3255 of 2 October 1936 by Duke and Ockenden Limited of Littlehampton: four boreholes in two areas at Bodigga to prove geology of alternative sites for the proposed GWR Hotel  Sinking of 41 trial pits at pegged locations along the railway route under GWR Contracts 3265 of 13 October 1936 and 3393 of 25 May 1937 by Charles Symons and Company of Liskeard. Typically such pits are 4’ in depth and enable rapid assessment of ground conditions for foundation purposes: they are backfilled after use. There is no documentary confirmation that these works were completed, but 4 pits were to be located in the new Looe station area, with the remainder between Looe and Millendreath stations – thirteen of them on the line of Millendreath Viaduct.  Detailed large scale plans of the route and stations at Looe, Millendreath and Hessenford

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cornwall Railway Society has a detailed account of the proposed line.

Looe New Rly

That’s a fascinating article and I must admit, completely new information to me.

Interesting to imagine a journey to (East) Looe using the Dawlish avoiding line and then this new route behind electric traction and railcars if history had worked out differently.

Gloster

Established Member
I have previously tried to find the complete paper on the Caradon Heritage Partnership’s site, but failed. I am not sure if the Partnership is still going.

Gloster

Established Member
IIRC the junction would have been at Trerule. A signalbox existed there until the mid 1950s or thereabouts.

No, not according to my interpretation of the report. The junction would have been about 1/2 mile east of the box, which only reopened (new box) in 1938 (the previous one had closed in 1925), and about 1 3/4 miles west of St Germans.

Rescars

That’s a fascinating article and I must admit, completely new information to me.

Interesting to imagine a journey to (East) Looe using the Dawlish avoiding line and then this new route behind electric traction and railcars if history had worked out differently.
The proposed hotel sounds like an attractive destination too. A two centre break here and at the Tregenna Castle at St Ives perhaps.....

John Luxton

Established Member
An excellent book was published a couple of years ago "The Great Western Railway's Last Resort" written by Alec Kendall and published by the Caradon Project. Its availability had limited advertising confined to SW local history groups and I managed to secure a copy following a mention in the Trevithick Society Newsletter. I understand it is now out of print. The CRS article linked up thread is a very abridged copy.

This is a really detailed look at the project not just the branch line but the associated Golf Club, Hotel and residential developments which were part of the project. There are plans, now and then photos of sites, including what remains of the golf course.

If you can track down a copy worth getting - it really does need publishing through a mainstream transport publisher as I am certain it would be essential reading for the countess GWR enthusiasts out there.

Incidentally the author also produced a similar thoroughly researched book a few years ago on the nearby Liskeard and Caradon Railway during GWR Ownership from 1901 to 1931 "The Lost Years of the Liskeard and Caradon Railway" which contains much more information than other books on the subject.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
An excellent book was published a couple of years ago "The Great Western Railway's Last Resort" written by Alec Kendall and published by the Caradon Project. Its availability had limited advertising confined to SW local history groups and I managed to secure a copy following a mention in the Trevithick Society Newsletter. I understand it is now out of print.

This is a really detailed look at the project not just the branch line but the associated Golf Club, Hotel and residential developments which were part of the project. There are plans, now and then photos of sites, including what remains of the golf course.

If you can track down a copy worth getting - it really does need publishing though a mainstream publisher as I am certain it would be essential reading for the countess GWR enthusiasts out there.

This is probably the full version of the synopsis mentioned in #2.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
No, not according to my interpretation of the report. The junction would have been about 1/2 mile east of the box, which only reopened (new box) in 1938 (the previous one had closed in 1925), and about 1 3/4 miles west of St Germans.
Having today looked at the Cornish Railway Society website the information given does say that Trerule would have been the junction.

Gloster

Established Member
Having today looked at the Cornish Railway Society website the information given does say that Trerule would have been the junction.

It does indeed say that in the Society’s own site under Trerule Signal Box, but if you look at the synopsis of the report (link in #2 or do a search for Alec on the Society’s site and go to the top of page 9) you will get a slightly different version. Although the Society’s was long thought to be correct, I prefer the synopsis’ version.