• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking For The Title Of An Old Magazine Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watson Wilde

I am looking for the title of a magazine series which had an article written by Lord Garnock about the operations of the Union Pacific over Sherman Hill during the Second World War. I was given this by a friend secondhand in 1990. I am fairly certain the cover featured the UP Big Boy. It was a UK publication in, as far as I recall, a larger format than the normal mags. Dimensionally. If I am remembering things right it was one of those where the magazines were collected to for a sort of encyclopedia if you get me? To be bound and there would be a specific number in the series, as opposed to the Railway World type which goes and goes. I may be wrong here mind you. The title was certainly around aplenty back in the 80's or even 70's so it's not all that obscure. I looked up a site that listed titles of UK rail magazines but none seemed to ring any bells. Any suggestions are more than welcome as it's driving me mad.

Cheers in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merthyr Imp

I think there were two partworks that were published around that time: 'History of Railways' and 'Great Trains'. May have been one of them.

Watson Wilde

Thanks both. I have a feeling Great Trains may be the one. But more answers are welcome of course!

Partworks. I've never heard that term but I knew there would be name for those publications.

WatsonWilde

Gents thanks so much for your input. I have tracked the magazine down and here's the article in case you're interested.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    963.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.pdf
    905.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 4.pdf
    899.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 6.pdf