• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking up rail lines you go by: Does anybody else do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

I very rarely look up lines that are still in place..... but lines that have been ripped up i like looking for.

Driving a big truck means i can look over the tops of hedge rows etc and see alot more than you can in a car and im always seeing old railway lines, when you know what to look for they really are quite obvious. I quite often look them up in my map books (no satnav in this truck), the majority of my map books are by Philip's and again its actually quite easy to follow old routes in the map, the clues are there, such as towns and villages with no railway..... but have roads called 'Station Road' or other roads with railway related names, bridges in the middle of nowhere etc etc. I even started drawing some of them back into the mapbook.

Incidently i took a container to Shillingstone in Dorset yesterday, a factory unit right next to the restored Shillingstone station on the Somerset & Dorset, got shown around by a nice chap and allowed into the signal box, then when the cafe and shop opened ii went and spent a few quid before going back to my cab to follow the route of the S&D through Dorset in my map book.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cletus

Established Member
I was reading a thread about Rugby and looking at aerial views and I noticed a old viaduct running through a golf course there.

There's something to look out for. I'd certainly never seen that old line from a train before - probably going too fast!

http://binged.it/1lhilWW

GearJammer

I was reading a thread about Rugby and looking at aerial views and I noticed a old viaduct running through a golf course there.

There's something to look out for. I'd certainly never seen that old line from a train before - probably going too fast!

http://binged.it/1lhilWW

Funnily enough I delivered a container to Rugby yesterday evening and had my map book open on this area looking at the lines coming out of Rugby. I noticed there was an old track bed heading North/South to the east of Rugby station, it was marked in my book as Great Central walk or something so assumed it was the old Great Central route..... but I don't recall there being a curve like that so im not sure if that's what this is in your image.

table38

Established Member
The viaduct looks like it was part of a "flying junction" to get trains from the Market Harborough line over to the west[1] side of Rugby (Midland) station

rugby.jpg

[1] if you ignore geography and assume the WCML runs north-south :)

Last edited:

David

Established Member
Very admirable choice sir!

Seriously though, the only former route I've ever bothered to trace/walk/find out information about is from Goxhill to Immingham. Unfortunatley, there's very little left to see now, and not much information available about it :(

Cletus

Established Member
Disused viaduct at Rugby.
Here's a (very large) picture of the viaduct from the golf club's website. (sorry I don't know how to make it smaller)

home1.jpg

The video here has a couple of close ups at the beginning.
http://www.rugbygolfclub.co.uk/course_flyover

Disappointing it seems that none of the holes involves hitting the ball over or through the viaduct itself. :lol:

Interesting that the viaduct looks pretty clear of vegetation but access is another matter

Does anyone know whether the viaduct is in good shape structure wise

Status
Not open for further replies.