• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lorry strikes bridge - What more could be done to prevent it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
Hmm.
If you drive a lorry that might hit a bridge, knowing you might be sacked if you hit it would make you be more careful, surely?

If the haulage company is fined £1 million for all the delays, cost of repairs, whatever, then it's likely the driver involved would be got rid of.

Fining a lorry driver £1 million would (most likely) take an age for it to be paid and completely destroy their life no doubt.

Hence, fining the employer of the driver is the ONLY way.

Clearly, many drivers don't take it upon themselves to work out if their lorry will fit, so a little insentive to do so might reduce the number of bashes.

I really find it difficult to take this seriously, fines of £1 million?

As things stand now a lorry driver hitting a low bridge might well be sacked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Very embarressing, especially because at the time I didnt know why, you wouldnt think for one moment that the bridge height signs would be wrong :(

Absolutely and if the lorry had been damaged there may well be a case for claiming damages from whoever is responsible for the bridge height, presumably that would be the local authority rather than NR?

shredder1

Established Member
Absolutely and if the lorry had been damaged there may well be a case for claiming damages from whoever is responsible for the bridge height, presumably that would be the local authority rather than NR?

Yes absolutely, probably the highways though, I think those types of cases are rare though, especially those days, that was back in the 1980`s when I was driving, I also often noticed bridges with imperial measurements missing and just metric heigth signage, bridge are suppose to carry both, especially since may training are marked in imperial measurements, its easy to undestand how older drivers, who were not taught metric mesurements at school, were confused at times by this.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
A good start would be changing the CPS guidelines to suggest prosecution for careless driving in every single case of bridge strike, and modification of the road traffic laws to permit disqualification in cases of flagrantly poor driving eg driving into a sodding great low bridge

Read my previous post about the reasons and variables involved, not that simple.

shredder1

Established Member
Personal view as a 23 years experience HGV driver who's never hit a bridge, is that they should have their license taken off them. There is no excuse for hitting any bridge. Yes, I have been through some tight ones and still do mainly arch ones. I always had a tape measure in my bag when I was driving full time, and always checked. The best firm I worked for had the actual measurement from the underside of the trailer to the top, you just measured down from there when you had coupled up (all artic trucks ride at a different height, even same models).

With respect Steve, for someone with 23 years in the sector, I`m surprised by your post and lack of understanding the issues involved, I`ve had two bridge incidents and both were not my fault. I can only think that you have been lucky with all the variables invoved.

steverailer

With respect Steve, for someone with 23 years in the sector, I`m surprised by your post and lack of understanding the issues involved, I`ve had two bridge incidents and both were not my fault. I can only think that you have been lucky with all the variables invoved.

I'm not saying I haven't been close, because I have and I have been down roads with trailers that were, in theory, too high for the bridge but went under due to the extra allowance (was the only way into and out of the factory and an arch bridge).

But how can anyone defend someone taking a truck 1 or 2 ft higher than the marked bridge?????? That's not down to variables its down to plain ignorance and stupidity. I followed one of our drivers recently, past 3 signs stating the bridge height, and 1 illuminated one telling him to turn around, all the time flashing my lights at him and trying to get him on the phone. Before I got chance to stop him he went under, broke part of the machine off and stopped dead in the middle of the bridge. We got him out and luckily for him there was no damage to the bridge. But how is that down to anything other than stupidity, especially as the work brief he had before leaving the depot warned of the low bridge enroute to the job site. Or the agency driver who had to be stopped 200 yrds after hitting a 14'3 bridge with a 16'3 double decker because he didn't know he had done anything?????

The reasons and variables you give are not very regular occurrences, the majority of the bridge hits aren't 2 or 3 inches out they are over a foot!!!!!

shredder1

Established Member
With respect Steve, for someone with 23 years in the sector, I`m surprised by your post and lack of knowledge of the issues involved, I`ve had two bridge incidents and both were not my fault. I can only think that you have been lucky with all the variables invoved.
I'm not saying I haven't been close, because I have and I have been down roads with trailers that were, in theory, too high for the bridge but went under due to the extra allowance (was the only way into and out of the factory and an arch bridge).

But how can anyone defend someone taking a truck 1 or 2 ft higher than the marked bridge?????? That's not down to variables its down to plain ignorance and stupidity. I followed one of our drivers recently, past 3 signs stating the bridge height, and 1 illuminated one telling him to turn around, all the time flashing my lights at him and trying to get him on the phone. Before I got chance to stop him he went under, broke part of the machine off and stopped dead in the middle of the bridge. We got him out and luckily for him there was no damage to the bridge. But how is that down to anything other than stupidity, especially as the work brief he had before leaving the depot warned of the low bridge enroute to the job site. Or the agency driver who had to be stopped 200 yrds after hitting a 14'3 bridge with a 16'3 double decker because he didn't know he had done anything?????

The reasons and variables you give are not very regular occurrences, the majority of the bridge hits aren't 2 or 3 inches out they are over a foot!!!!!

Yes I agree Steve, but thats not what I said, some is through ignorance and stupidity, I accept that, but not all. I don`t have your experience, but was driving Class 1 for 8 years, a transport manager for 3 years and an ADI for 3 years, so have some understanding of the issues involved, its not always in black and white and not always the driver to blame.

Last edited:

mark-h

whoever is responsible for the bridge height, presumably that would be the local authority rather than NR?

Although the local authority is responsible for signage I would have thought it would make sense for NR to check the signage is correct (and in both metric and imperial).

Steptoe

Much of the discussion on the thread has been in regard to bridge and trailer heights so it might be educative to report that the Mid Norfolk railway recently had a bridge strike which on inspection involved a hedge cutting attachment on the tractor hitting the side pier of the bridge so in this case the height was irrelevant. Maybe we also need signs indicating the width!

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk-road-closed-railway-bridge-strike-1-5401202

nottsnurse

A question for those seemingly excusing European drivers for not understanding Imperial measurements; Do you think not understanding metric measurements would be accepted as an excuse if a British driver were pulled over for driving at 120mph on the Autoroute?

Ignorance is no excuse and it is up to drivers to familiarise themselves with road regulations in countries they intend to drive in. This should be even more apparent to professional drivers.

Whilst I would rather the UK fully embraced the metric system this is not the case, and as per numerous local differences throughout Europe, it's up to those unfamiliar with said differences to educate themselves.

furnessvale

Established Member
A question for those seemingly excusing European drivers for not understanding Imperial measurements; Do you think not understanding metric measurements would be accepted as an excuse if a British driver were pulled over for driving at 120mph on the Autoroute?

Ignorance is no excuse and it is up to drivers to familiarise themselves with road regulations in countries they intend to drive in. This should be even more apparent to professional drivers.

Whilst I would rather the UK fully embraced the metric system this is not the case, and as per numerous local differences throughout Europe, it's up to those unfamiliar with said differences to educate themselves.
There are many differences between UK standards and the rest of Europe that drivers have to accommodate when moving away from their home territory.

For example, they build cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side, forcing themselves to drive on the RIGHT! No wonder they have so many accidents. And do the French still allow Farmer Pierre to pull out in front of you using "priorite a droite" or some such nonsense?

@TiptonWMP said:
The male driver of this lorry fled the scene of this incident this morning on the Bilston Road. Tipton. Tall lorries and low bridges are not a good combination. He fought the bridge and the bridge won!

DW-QTckWsAARGgu.jpg

Grrr....

The local rag reports (with a couple more pictures) here:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...ro-bridge-leading-to-long-delays-for-drivers/

Turns out the bridge carries the Midland Metro, rather than the railway proper.

Last edited:

Chris M

The cab clearly fits under that bridge with plenty of room to spare, so the mandatory height plate (in whatever units you use) isn't going to solve the problem on this occasion.
If the driver fled the scene as it is then no amount of increased penalties will do the trick either.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The cab clearly fits under that bridge with plenty of room to spare, so the mandatory height plate (in whatever units you use) isn't going to solve the problem on this occasion.
If the driver fled the scene as it is then no amount of increased penalties will do the trick either.

Why would a HGV driver do a runner?

The owner of the lorry will be easily traced, assuming they want it back. The owner will surely know who was driving their vehicle, unless the vehicle was stolen.

Perhaps the driver had other reasons not to have a chat with West Midlands' finest.

Antman

Established Member

The height in the cab should be adjusted to the trailer height, strange that the driver fled the scene might be a bit more to it?

B&I

Established Member
Yes I agree Steve, but thats not what I said, some is through ignorance and stupidity, I accept that, but not all. I don`t have your experience, but was driving Class 1 for 8 years, a transport manager for 3 years and an ADI for 3 years, so have some understanding of the issues involved, its not always in black and white and not always the driver to blame.

Apart from the wrong measurement being put on the sign, or the driver being misinformed about the height of the vehicle / combination (having asked, not just made an assumption), in what circumstances would it not be the driver's fault?

philthetube

Established Member
Thew same problems arise with GPS, even if the proper tackle for lorries it still has to have the correct height inputted.

shredder1

Established Member
Apart from the wrong measurement being put on the sign, or the driver being misinformed about the height of the vehicle / combination (having asked, not just made an assumption), in what circumstances would it not be the driver's fault?

If you read my earlier posts you will see I went under a bridge with a large piece of it hanging down from the underside and another case was a resurfaced road. It used to make me the laugh the of amount of scored and stones missing from the arch at Conway Castle prior to the A55 being completed across the estuary, I think we all struggled with that one at times.

Last edited:

Chris M

If you read my earlier posts you will see I went under a bridge with a large piece of it hanging down from the underside and another case was a resurfaced road. It used to make me the laugh the of amount of scored and stones missing from the arch at Conway Castle prior to the A55 being completed across the estuary, I think we all struggled with that one at times.
I think that would come under the category of the sign being wrong, although the reason for that error (changes since measurement) is different to the circumstances B&I was probably thinking of (measurement error or sign manufacturing error).
I can think of a couple of other circumstances though - missing/obscured sign and being directed under the bridge by a police officer (or someone similarly authorised) despite informing them that your are overheight. Obviously you shouldn't be directed that way, but having heard of a tram driver nearly being arrested for refusing to divert down a side road...

shredder1

Established Member
I think that would come under the category of the sign being wrong, although the reason for that error (changes since measurement) is different to the circumstances B&I was probably thinking of (measurement error or sign manufacturing error).
I can think of a couple of other circumstances though - missing/obscured sign and being directed under the bridge by a police officer (or someone similarly authorised) despite informing them that your are overheight. Obviously you shouldn't be directed that way, but having heard of a tram driver nearly being arrested for refusing to divert down a side road...

Hahaha, thats a cracker, I can believe that too, :lol:

nlogax

Established Member
What more can be done? Remove humans from the equation. Sensors on the vehicle / trailer triggering automatic brakes. Like many recent cars already do.

shredder1

Established Member
Remove humans from the equation appears to be the only solution and we are of course moving in that direction now. Our roads were not designed for the size and amount of vehicles that now use them.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've always wondered how many bridge strikes actually go unreported. Having previously been stuck in a queue of traffic behind a lorry wedged under a railway bridge, and heard a Police Officer dismiss the idea of calling the number on the bridge plate on the basis the incident isn't "an emergency" I do wonder....

shredder1

Established Member
Probably more unreported than reported, its a problem that`s just got worse as goods vehicles have got larger.not helped by signage confusions and drivers being allowed to drive longer under tachograph legislation. When I was driving in the 1980`s you were legally allowed to drive two 15 hour days in a two week period, 15 hours is a long time to concentrate for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.