• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

lost images

Status
Not open for further replies.

tel

Hi all i put my Class 66 images onto a cd-rw and now when i put it into the cd drive im told that the cd is blank and i cant view the images. Any help or advice would be very helpful please.:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks a lot

Terry:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
Did you check the images were visible on the disc BEFORE you deleted them off the hard drive? Golden rule. If you have not and the disc didn't burn properly, you've lost everything I'm afraid.

tel

yep been using the disc to add pics onto now all of a sudden can't open it.<(

Tel:)

eos

is it a multisession CDR , or is it a CDRW?
If the former you may need to 'close' the session. If the latter , did you use packet writing UDF file system. if that doesnt make sense, what did you use to burn the disc?
What to do next - View the drive in windows explorer , right click on it and clicl 'PROPERTIES'... what does it say about the used space and free space. post it here and I'll diagnose how to recover if possible. I suspect the images are there but windows 'can't' see them properly yet.

Last edited:

tel

is it a multisession CDR , or is it a CDRW?
If the former you may need to 'close' the session. If the latter , did you use packet writing UDF file system. if that doesnt make sense, what did you use to burn the disc?
What to do next - View the drive in windows explorer , right click on it and clicl 'PROPERTIES'... what does it say about the used space and free space. post it here and I'll diagnose how to recover if possible. I suspect the images are there but windows 'can't' see them properly yet.

Thanks for your reply eos. Its a CD RW,i put pics off my camera into my Pictures then onto the CD RW. Clicked on Properties and it says there is 169 free space so the pics are on there but like you say it's proberley that windows can't read the disk. All the other discs ive got are ok. Ive now got a flash drive to put all my pics on just need to get my 66s back.

Tel:)

eos

Right , its what I thought, its UDF format ( or packet writing) and its typical for a cockup that happens when adding more and more files. You've learned the hard way NOT to save CDRWs that way, you would be advised to leave it alone.
Don't try saving any more pics to the CDRW , it will make the problem worse.
Treat a CDRW as a re-recordable medium, not a hard drive or USB stick. Get two , they are cheap enough and when you want to add extra images , burn them from disc 1 to disc2 with the extra images included in the new burn.
Once you are sure they are there , then wipe disc 1 and repeat next time.
Make sure 'verify' is turned on in the burning software ( if thats what you are using ), and burn them slowly - like 4x - even if the disc is capable of more . Burns at low speed are much much much more reliable, and your images are valuable. Even better is forget the CDRW format and stick with CDRs or DVD's and save them as single session ( not multisession ) discs.
If you are short of hard drive space , and thats why you are burning them to CDRW, get a 4GB USB stick instead, but then be careful because they can be erased , edited . deleted etc , Write protect the files after adding to the stick as a bit of a precaution, FORMAT will over-ride that of course.
What software are you using to burn the CDRW , or is it the native Windows XP ( or later) attempt at it. How you recover the images depends on what you have been using so far.

Last edited:

Andy

I suppose you could try running recovery software on the CD. But usually problems with CD are very hard to resolve.

Is there anything on the disk, if you hold it so that the light shines on the writable side. Is there anything on the disk, you will see this becasue there will be a band that is darker then the rest coming from the centre of the disk.

But the best way maybe to compare it to a new (blank) CD.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.