• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lost property contact for RRBs

TUC

Established Member
I've picked up a separate query online for someone who has left their phone on a RRB for a TPE service. They appear to have contacted TPE to ask how to link with the RRB operator (but don't know which bus operator it is, apart from they think they are Rochdale-based, which may suggest First) but say they have not had a very helpful response in terms of them being advised who to contact. Does anyone know who is operating the RRBs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was on the 1240 OXN - PRE today operated on behalf of TPE. Both coaches running (in duplicate) were the Big Coach Company who are a Merseyside firm.

Last edited:

Teds

The item should be in the 'railway' lost property system if it has been handed in. For TPE, that is probably almost as difficult to work out as the bus operator (could be Northern, Scotrail, LNER, I assume depending where the item was found). On all the TOCs that I have worked for on rail replacement, unclaimed lost property found on buses is handed in to the nearest staffed station on the route and then goes into the usual lost process for property left on a train. If the loss is recognised quickly enough and there is controller at the station, the controller will ask their colleagues on the route if the missing item has been found and handed to them or for the bus to be searched for the item when it reaches the next station with a controller. Arrangements are then made to re-unite the item with the owner by sending it back with the driver of a service or allowing the owner to travel to the station where the item has been handed in. It is not a perfect system but it can work really well. Drivers should check their vehicles at the end of each journey but don't always do it. They are more likely to check their vehicle at the end of shift before returning to the yard. The aim is to ensure that lost property does not end up in the bus operator's depot whch could be miles away. Realistically, your chances of finding anything which has ended up with the bus operator are going to be very low unless you can identify the operator on the day of travel with a bus coordinator. After the day of travel or even on the day of travel, it is very unlikely that TOC staff would know who operated the relevant replacement service. It would be sheer luck that someone saw that journey and remembered the operator. I assume that TOCs are provided with the information about which company will be operating each service but it will have very little relevance to their work and it probably needs to be decoded from the timetable. Controllers are generally provided with the information in a accessible form but once their shift is over, they are effectively uncontactable by any TOC staff.

When I have worked as a co-ordinator for rail replacement it always go to the firm if it was TPE let me know date and time i can look up the operator for you?

Towers

Established Member
Does the owner have any ability to track the location of their device? Might they be how they’ve arrived at the operator being based in Rochdale? Would be a big help!

richw

Veteran Member
it is very unlikely that TOC staff would know who operated the relevant replacement service
The rail replacement in question were organised by First Travel solutions (FTS). They will know who operated the service in question. They will even know which vehicle from that operator operated it. The Driver when starting their rail
Replacement duty has to ring up FTS to sign on, and supply details of their vehicle. This ensures the operator is paid for services rendered

TUC

Established Member
The rail replacement in question were organised by First Travel solutions (FTS). They will know who operated the service in question. They will even know which vehicle from that operator operated it. The Driver when starting their rail
Replacement duty has to ring up FTS to sign on, and supply details of their vehicle. This ensures the operator is paid for services rendered

Thanks.

Towers

Established Member

Unless of course it all went bellyup and the ‘spare’ was used, in which case I doubt FTS are informed? Or are they?

TUC

Established Member
The person in question has advised they have managed to track the operator and the phone down. Thanks everyone for your help.

richw

Veteran Member
Unless of course it all went bellyup and the ‘spare’ was used, in which case I doubt FTS are informed? Or are they?
Yes. If a spare is used they have to report to FTS by phone what they’re doing. Assume sitting doing nothing is paid at a different rate to driving about all day

Towers

Established Member
Yes. If a spare is used they have to report to FTS by phone what they’re doing. Assume sitting doing nothing is paid at a different rate to driving about all day
That is surprisingly well organised, then! :)