• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lost Property Procedure & Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Random One

A friend of mine has accidentally left an item on a Virgin Train.

He has rung VT, who advised him to call the station where the train terminates, which has a left luggage office provided by Excess Baggage.

This office is not answering their phone.

I have three questions:
- Is there any other way of advising the train manager / cleaning team / other responsible person to look out for this item?

- Looking at a poster from Excess Baggage, they mention a sliding scale for lost property charges, however these would seem to be at odds with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage (Section III, Para 56). What is the actual charge levied?

- Does anyone have any further advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
- Looking at a poster from Excess Baggage, they mention a sliding scale for lost property charges, however these would seem to be at odds with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage (Section III, Para 56). What is the actual charge levied?

Excess Baggage Co are not a Train Company and are not bound by the NRCoC.

Does anyone have any further advice?

Lost property offices are notoriously bad at answering their own phones... :roll:

Try their general (freephone) number on 0800 524 4815).

GadgetMan

A friend of mine has accidentally left an item on a Virgin Train.

He has rung VT, who advised him to call the station where the train terminates, which has a left luggage office provided by Excess Baggage.

This office is not answering their phone.

I have three questions:
- Is there any other way of advising the train manager / cleaning team / other responsible person to look out for this item?

- Does anyone have any further advice?

This is of no use to you now;

generally if you realise you've left some property on a train and notice straight away then advise the station staff (if manned) and they will either call ahead to the next manned station to have a quick look for item or get in touch with the guard by getting a contact number from the TOCs control.

If you alight at an unmanned station then ring customer services number for the TOC you travelled with and they will usually ring the guard up and ask them to try and locate the item.

Can't speak for other TOCs but on XC the general policy is to hand lost property in at the terminating station for that service. This raises it's own problems. For instance a passenger traveling from Leicester to Nuneaton leaves an item behind. In theory it should be handed in at New street. However if the property is not discovered until the unit is working it's next service (Birmingham - Stansted) then the item will be handed in at Stansted.
Now the original passenger will not in a million years think to try and trace his property down at Stansted Airport. He/she would rightly expect it to be in either Leicester/Birmingham or Nuneaton.

Depending on how bored I am I sometimes try and reunite the owner with their property if it's easy to track them down. For example a mobile phone without a security lock, just ring the number saved under 'Home' or Ipod type devices just send a email to the Appstore account address.

In the cases of wallets etc if there are old train tickets inside then I try and hand it in at their home station if this is obvious from the previous journeys.

The railway does need a central database for lost property on a national scale. The way it stands at the moment it is extremely difficult to track down lost property as everyone seems to deal with it in their own way and each TOC has their own policy on how to deal with it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
While I'm at it I will add; please people remember roughly where you were sat should you feel the need to try and track down some lost property. It absolutely ****es me off when I get a phone call asking me to try and look for something small like a phone or wallet on a train.

Me; Whereabouts was the passenger sat
Control; He said he was sat on the left hand side near the luggage racks, could not be any more specific.:roll:

So you then have to walk through every carriage looking under every seat to try and spot the item.

mdenwood

The railway does need a central database for lost property on a national scale. The way it stands at the moment it is extremely difficult to track down lost property as everyone seems to deal with it in their own way and each TOC has their own policy on how to deal with it.

A national database would be so much easier for folk like me trying to track something down than ringing around individual lost property offices! Could even be a commercial opportunity if cost recapture and a profitable charge for postal delivery were included. Any chance of it ever being implemented do you think?

Good to hear your friend got his stuff back in the end.

Smudger105e

A national database would be so much easier for folk like me trying to track something down than ringing around individual lost property offices!

And it would be an even bigger pain for someone who does not know about TOCs, a large proportion of travellers still think they use British Rail!!

I lost my mobile phone on a train last Saturday, and didn't know which train I had left it on, so had to contact two TOC lost property offices.

A national lost property register would be superb, if all TOCs would log finds on there, then people could contact one phone number or access one database...

michael769

Established Member
I once left a umbrella and a new (fixed line) phone on my train. I called forwards to Glasgow Central and they said they would ask the guard when he arrived.

The guard called back later and said he had them. He then asked what train I got in the morning, and they put it on that train and I was able to collect it from the crew, which was very nice of them.

(And yes I did write in to say thanks :) )

trickyvegas

I remember once disembarking from a Manchester Airport service at Stalybridge and realised I have left a bag hanging from the hook on my luggage trolley at the airport station. Called into the office at Stalybridge, who put in a call to the airport while I waited and confirmed they had and would send it on the next service and was reunited with it about an hour later.

Status
Not open for further replies.