• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian group (Network/Route Speculation)

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
The 63 is already confirmed as every 60 mins between Queensferry and The Gyle.

I know but this is a speculation forum specifically, but saying that it's not like we can't discuss what is already confirmed either. :D

I believe depending on what is going on, they could either keep it as it is confirmed or merge another tender route or run the remainder of it commercially? Much like the suggested 63 route above.

Needless to say the waiting about makes it suspenseful, hoping it's Lothian Country that picks it up, guess we won't know untill the time is right.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I wonder if LCB will look at running services via Livingston Village? Maybe something between Blackridge and Balerno could work? Would kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

I do wonder if they will consider reviving that link, the old 24 hasn't run that way since 2016 I believe.

Balerno definitely could do with some additional bus services, I know it's only a matter of time before the 63 is cut back and the new Cramond service will take over.

SoloSR334022

I do wonder if they will consider reviving that link, the old 24 hasn't run that way since 2016 I believe.

Balerno definitely could do with some additional bus services, I know it's only a matter of time before the 63 is cut back and the new Cramond service will take over.
I would run it this way...

71 - Blackridge to Balerno via Armadale, Bathville, Bathgate, Boghall, Livingston Village, St. John's Hospital, The Centre, Mid Calder, East Calder (Langton Rd.),
and Kirknewton. Every 45 minutes.

Could maybe extend to Straiton Retail Park every 90 minutes?

mb88

Is there really any demand for a service from Livingston to Balerno? As far as I’m aware, previous incarnations of such a route have always been tendered.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Is there really any demand for a service from Livingston to Balerno? As far as I’m aware, previous incarnations of such a route have always been tendered.

The biggest indication would be either school children for Balerno heading to Kirknewton, or residents in Balerno needing to go to St Johns Hospital; they might have been tenders but it makes sense.

71 - Blackridge to Balerno via Armadale, Bathville, Bathgate, Boghall, Livingston Village, St. John's Hospital, The Centre, Mid Calder, East Calder (Langton Rd.),

I could see this working as a legitimate route.

Last edited by a moderator:

Auld reekie

I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

It's only a matter of time, because with the X44 only serving East Lothian (despite having multiple express options and could easily be cut back). Balerno will be back to potentially having a better bus service, the 90 minute service finishing before 5pm is hardly viable for anyone.

Auld reekie

It's only a matter of time, because with the X44 only serving East Lothian (despite having multiple express options and could easily be cut back). Balerno will be back to potentially having a better bus service, the 90 minute service finishing before 5pm is hardly viable for anyone.
Maybe the 25 could be extended to Balerno.

SoloSR334022

Could run it tendered between Balerno to Livingston Village and then commercial from Livingston Village to Blackridge?

InOban

Established Member
I'm mystified by the addiction of certain posters to buses through the green fields between MidCalder and Balerno.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Maybe the 25 could be extended to Balerno.

There was peak runs many years ago, but they were scrapped unfortunately.

Could run it tendered between Balerno to Livingston Village and then commercial from Livingston Village to Blackridge?

That could work, assuming also that LCB have plans to return to Blackridge.

I'm mystified by the addiction of certain posters to buses through the green fields between MidCalder and Balerno.

The old bus stop outside Beechgrove Farm still has Blue Bus stickers on it, clearly has been forgotten about by the council, not sure if they are any more bus stops between that old stop and Kirknewton however.

Also as an update, Lothian have applied for the Balerno to Cramond tender which is meant to run between 8am to 8:30pm I believe Monday to Saturday.

Last edited: