• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low line speed between Sheffield and Grimsby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hooverboy

On Moderation
Its never been considered to increase it. That’s all i can think of but yes it is slow around 1 hour 15 minutes from Doncaster to Cleethorpes.
I would have thought more to it.

there is a lot of low lying ground in that area(bits of railway below the canal water line), so maybe not structurally in good nick.
..along with the usual suspects of rural level crossings etc.

FWIW it would probably make a bit of sense to try and improve line speeds to coastal holiday resorts..I think it might entice a fair few more daytrippers which is good for the local economy.
there's only so far your patience will stretch with a gaggle of screaming 4 year olds...a 3+ hour train journey will certainly test it unless sufficient distractions are packed!

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
I would have thought more to it.

there is a lot of low lying ground in that area(bits of railway below the canal water line), so maybe not structurally in good nick.
..along with the usual suspects of rural level crossings etc.

FWIW it would probably make a bit of sense to try and improve line speeds to coastal holiday resorts..I think it might entice a fair few more daytrippers which is good for the local economy.
there's only so far your patience will stretch with a gaggle of screaming 4 year olds...a 3+ hour train journey will certainly test it unless sufficient distractions are packed!

There are now plans by TfN and Sheffield City Region to increase line speed to improve connections between North West, Sheffield and North Lincolnshire coast

Legolash2o

Doncaster to Cleethorpes is one of the few places where freight trains have a priority only passenger services (apparently).

Anywho, freight trains travel a lot slower than passenger trains; so there's no need to increase it. All the passenger trains would be stuck being all the freight as well.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There are several sections with more than two tracks so some overtaking of freight might be possible. However I think the ground conditions are pretty poor and that may put a limit on speed.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Sheffield to Doncaster has some tight curves, many junctions and a busy mix of ‘’fast’, stopping and freight services so not much chance to get up to high speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.