• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low traffic neighbourhoods: Sunak orders review

Status
Not open for further replies.

davews

I don't know how widespread this is, but there are some houses - I used to live in a converted flat in one - that had gardens, but without any access from the garden to the street. It was a Victorian terrace in London, and the other side of the fence at the back of the garden was the garden of the houses in the adjacent street. All the houses had the bins on the street because there was nowhere else for them to go.
My house is just like that. Mid terrace but only access to rear garden is through the kitchen. Most of the estate houses built the time, early 1960s, were of this style. Smallish front garden and many have concreted it over to park, I have resisted doing that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't know how widespread this is, but there are some houses - I used to live in a converted flat in one - that had gardens, but without any access from the garden to the street. It was a Victorian terrace in London, and the other side of the fence at the back of the garden was the garden of the houses in the adjacent street. All the houses had the bins on the street because there was nowhere else for them to go.

A check of your deeds may be educational. There are two common layouts for terraces, one is with an alley/ginnel/back entry/snicket/whatever you call it between the yards/gardens, but the other is with a through right of way for residents right next to the houses and the garden beyond (this type is particularly common in Lancashire). People have tended over time to block these up, but the right of way will usually still exist.

In the 1960s Council blocks where you had terraces of 4 houses, the inner two generally had right of way through the garden of the outer two, though many have an arch in the middle instead.

There are very few where, at construction, there was no right of way, other than those where access is through a garage.

Of course, while you could go to Court to assert that right of way, it won't make you popular! :)

The Ham

Established Member
Does that actually mean a garden or are they counting terraced houses with back yards?

If this works the graph from the link I quoted sis show up below, it shows a breakdown which has garden, other private space, shared outside or nothing:

<iframe height="484px" width="100%" src="https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc817/greenspace/index.html"></iframe>

If it doesn't work you can access it from this link:

sprunt

Established Member
A check of your deeds may be educational. There are two common layouts for terraces, one is with an alley/ginnel/back entry/snicket/whatever you call it between the yards/gardens, but the other is with a through right of way for residents right next to the houses and the garden beyond (this type is particularly common in Lancashire). People have tended over time to block these up, but the right of way will usually still exist.

In the 1960s Council blocks where you had terraces of 4 houses, the inner two generally had right of way through the garden of the outer two, though many have an arch in the middle instead.

There are very few where, at construction, there was no right of way, other than those where access is through a garage.

Of course, while you could go to Court to assert that right of way, it won't make you popular! :)

I only rented a flat in the house, I had no access to the deeds! There may have been an ancient right of way, but there's no obvious access to it now - it's just a terrace all the way along, no ginnels in sight. Since I don't live there any more, I'm happy to share that it's here - one of the even numbered houses towards the eastern end of the street. Even when I did live there I had no garden access as I was in the first floor flat.

Fortunately, the three of us who had access to the common areas all got on well so we were happy to leave our bikes in the hall.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I only rented a flat in the house, I had no access to the deeds! There may have been an ancient right of way, but there's no obvious access to it now - it's just a terrace all the way along, no ginnels in sight. Since I don't live there any more, I'm happy to share that it's here - one of the even numbered houses towards the eastern end of the street. Even when I did live there I had no garden access as I was in the first floor flat.

Fortunately, the three of us who had access to the common areas all got on well so we were happy to leave our bikes in the hall.

Every rule needs an exception, of course! Would the basement flats potentially have previously been servants' quarters which you would, as the master of the house, be able to walk through with your bicycle or dustbin if you wanted, perhaps?

Perhaps it's more common in London. I can't think of any without rear access round here, and there's been a huge debate about it because we've only just got wheelie bins (yeah, well behind the times!) and lazy people are looking for excuses to leave them in the road.

(FWIW I think our bins show that most of the "bin blight" issue is caused by Councils using silly colours of bin, e.g. Liverpool's ugly purple - I live in a Radburn estate with cars at the back, and most of them have ended up on the "rear drive" of most houses, and as they're all black with coloured lids for each purpose they look absolutely fine, whereas bright coloured bins stand out and so look bad).

The latter point is quite interesting as I was thinking about this whilst driving yesterday, where every village seemed to have sprouted large amounts of new housing, and one village in particular a massive new estate on its boundary. Meanwhile, absolutely no new services provided in any of these places, just dormitories essentially. This must be contributing to *massive* levels of additional new car journeys as people have to drive to the nearest town(s) essentially to do anything.

Great if one lives in one of these new cul-de-sac developments. Less good for all the people who live on roads which will see significant increases in traffic levels as a result.

Yet in the next breath the politicians attempt to make us guilty for causing pollution.
A good chunk of this phenomenon is because councils make it hard for the shops to actually get planning permission for these kind of developments

Status
Not open for further replies.