• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lower quadrant signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Even more tangentially related, the "national speed limit applies" roadsign (which is apparently borrowed from railway practice - as noted in another thread on the forum) happily remains universally LQ!
Really, which Sign on the railway is it borrowed from? The explanation I've heard is that it's a cancellation of the 'light' of urban areas, as the Speed limit for towns is partially determined by the presence of streetlighting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ian1944

Equally tangential, is Uffington's fixed distant on the long-closed Faringdon branch still in situ? If so, presumably LQ , not that it would matter if fixed.

Gloster

Established Member
Equally tangential, is Uffington's fixed distant on the long-closed Faringdon branch still in situ? If so, presumably LQ , not that it would matter if fixed.

Fixed Distants were neither upper- or lower-quadrant as they were just an arm fixed to the post. The only exception would be if a working Distant was converted to a fixed one, but, as you say, it did not matter as it no longer moved.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Interesting to see Gomshall featured there. The station now is possibly the most desecrated in the UK in terms of the percentage of original footprint added to by an ugly monstrosity of a footbridge to remove the tiny danger previously posed by the foot crossing. Anyway, a digression - many companies had lower-quadrant signals and it may be that GWR for some reason installed a lower quadrant signal at some point.

Really, which Sign on the railway is it borrowed from? The explanation I've heard is that it's a cancellation of the 'light' of urban areas, as the Speed limit for towns is partially determined by the presence of streetlighting.
It's a little reminiscent of a shunt signal, but that implies low speed! Or possibly a banner repeater! Your explanation is new to me but makes sense.

Taunton

Established Member
There were lower quadrant signals on the onetime Wirral Railway at Hoylake until probably the resignalling there in the 1980s. They looked LNWR pattern, didn't have much of an angle when off. However, minor railways normally used the various signalling contractors, unless the LMS at some stage had used spare LNWR signals when required.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Only tangentially related, but a quirk I recall from the past (at least 1970s) is that at Tring station, either the down fast banner repeater was lower quadrant and the down slow (split for the north junction) was upper, or the other way round. Given that they were both normally 'off', looked most strange! Clearly nothing to do with the signal being repeated as colour light territory.
Pretty sure the down slow banners at Tring were both UQ, located on Platform 3

I've seen plenty of brand new LED colour lights installed that have an associated brand new LED banner repeater.

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
Pretty sure the down slow banners at Tring were both UQ, located on Platform 3

I've seen plenty of brand new LED colour lights installed that have an associated brand new LED banner repeater.
The splitting banner repeater on the Down Slow platform at Tring had one UQ head (on the left) and one LQ head (on the right). Years ago, it featured in the IRSE's "Interesting Signals" series.

Tester was making the point that the form of banner in this case can't have been chosen to correspond with the signal, since it was a colour light.

Referring to post #27, there's a UQ banner at Truro that repeats a LQ semaphore signal.

12LDA28C

Established Member
The splitting banner repeater on the Down Slow platform at Tring had one UQ head (on the left) and one LQ head (on the right). Years ago, it featured in the IRSE's "Interesting Signals" series.

Indeed, you're quite right. I've just found this photo I took, circa 1985 showing the signal in question with the route set for the Down Slow.

Attachments

• 25atTring.jpg
    25atTring.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 49

Trestrol

There may still be lower quadrant ground disc signals. Only LNER and BR ground disc signals worked up when pulled off. Everybody else's went down. The BR ground signal is an near exact copy of the LNER version.

Rescars

Indeed, you're quite right. I've just found this photo I took, circa 1985 showing the signal in question with the route set for the Down Slow.
Now between us we have found both a UQ banner repeating a LQ semaphore and a LQ banner repeating a colour light, all we need now is LQ banner repeating a UQ semaphore. This feels like an unlikely combination, but maybe somebody knows about one somewhere.....
There may still be lower quadrant ground disc signals. Only LNER and BR ground disc signals worked up when pulled off. Everybody else's went down. The BR ground signal is an near exact copy of the LNER version.
Presumably there are quite a few LQ discs still operational in (G)WR territory.

Railsigns

Established Member
Presumably there are quite a few LQ discs still operational in (G)WR territory.
As well as ex-LMS and ex-SR territory.

BR ground disc signals worked up when pulled off.
BR didn't have a standard form of ground disc signal.

The Southern Region continued installing Southern Railway pattern discs (LQ).
The Western Region continued installing GWR pattern discs (LQ).
The London Midland Region continued installing LMS pattern discs (LQ).
The Eastern and North Eastern Regions continued installing LNER pattern discs (UQ).
The Scottish Region continued installing LMS pattern discs (including on former LNER lines).

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Interesting to see Gomshall featured there. The station now is possibly the most desecrated in the UK in terms of the percentage of original footprint added to by an ugly monstrosity of a footbridge to remove the tiny danger previously posed by the foot crossing. Anyway, a digression - many companies had lower-quadrant signals and it may be that GWR for some reason installed a lower quadrant signal at some point.
I'm not sure if I'm maybe misunderstanding something, but why would GWR have ever installed a signal at Gomshall? The line was built by the South Eastern, absorbed into the Southern, then became part of BR's Southern Region.

Western Region only became involved in the late 70s (ish), when their DMUs from Reading replaced SR's Tadpole DEMUs, followed by Turbos and ultimately the modern-day GWR post privatisation.

Trestrol

As well as ex-LMS and ex-SR territory.

BR didn't have a standard form of ground disc signal.

The Southern Region continued installing Southern Railway pattern discs (LQ).
The Western Region continued installing GWR pattern discs (LQ).
The London Midland Region continued installing LMS pattern discs (LQ).
The Eastern and North Eastern Regions continued installing LNER pattern discs (UQ).
The Scottish Region continued installing LMS pattern discs (including on former LNER lines).
BR did have a standard ground signal as the one in the catalogue is based on the LNER one. That's not to say up to the time BR standard signals were introduced the still had pre nationalisation ones made. And even now it is possible to have a non standard ground signal overhauled for installation.

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if I'm maybe misunderstanding something, but why would GWR have ever installed a signal at Gomshall? The line was built by the South Eastern, absorbed into the Southern, then became part of BR's Southern Region.
Western Region only became involved in the late 70s (ish), when their DMUs from Reading replaced SR's Tadpole DEMUs, followed by Turbos and ultimately the modern-day GWR post privatisation.
They didn't. The OP mentioned Gomshall in the belief that LQ signals were a purely GWR thing, but was referring to the 50s not the 90s.

DelW

Established Member
They didn't. The OP mentioned Gomshall in the belief that LQ signals were a purely GWR thing, but was referring to the 50s not the 90s.
Indeed so, but the post I was replying to (and quoting) said "... and it may be that GWR for some reason installed a lower quadrant signal at some point."

Veteran Member
Indeed so, but the post I was replying to (and quoting) said "... and it may be that GWR for some reason installed a lower quadrant signal at some point."
Indeed. I was trying to explain the context of Deepgreen's misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.