• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lowestoft to Ipswich service diverted via Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
OK not a discussion as such, but this afternoon Oulton Broad Swing Bridge failed, the 1405 from Lowestoft to Ipswich could not run booked route.

This train then ran as a 'special' Lowestoft to Ipswich via Norwich Station, departing at 1425.

2D87 (1405) was booked to arrive Ipswich at 1534

2G87 (1425) ran fast to Norwich, change ends, then fast to Ipswich, arrived at Ipswich at 1547, just 13 late on its original arrival time ! (held up by 1P47 1500 Ex Norwich)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
OK not a discussion as such, but this afternoon Oulton Broad Swing Bridge failed, the 1405 from Lowestoft to Ipswich could not run booked route.

This train then ran as a 'special' Lowestoft to Ipswich via Norwich Station, departing at 1425.

2G87 (1425) ran fast to Norwich, change ends, then fast to Ipswich, arrived at Ipswich at 1547, just 13 late on its original arrival time ! (slowed up by 1P47 1500 Ex Norwich)

Don't worry about that. Your post can easily start a discussion.

alxndr

Established Member
Good for those who want to get to Ipswich, not so good for anyone who wanted to go to an intermediate station, which I'd wager would be the majority, although I can see how it might have helped make sure stock was in the right place to avoid knock on delays.

Considering I used to travel frequently between Lowestoft and Halesworth I'd have ended up either an hour late (waiting for the 1505 1605 LWT-IPS) or an hour and twenty minutes late (if I went via Norwich and Ipswich, if permitted). Not sure which I'd have done, on a weekday I'd have probably tried to find a bus instead. [EDIT: Or maybe not, seems like there's no equivalent to the 601 I used to catch five (?) years ago!]

Saxmundham seems to be the point where it was actually quicker to go via Norwich and Ipswich than wait for the next train from Lowestoft.
Any idea what the advice was for people to intermediate stations?

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
Well if the bridge was blocked there wasn't any other option apart from just cancelling the train completely.

There is no 1505 on Sundays, the next train was the 1605 which is running normally.

alxndr

Established Member
Well if the bridge was blocked there wasn't any other option apart from just cancelling the train completely.

I wasn't disputing that it was the only option, or a sensible one, more musing that it wouldn't have been particularly helpful in most cases.

There is no 1505 on Sundays, the next train was the 1605 which is running normally.

Oops, I'd calculated based off the 1605 but managed to type the wrong time.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I

2G87 (1425) ran fast to Norwich, change ends, then fast to Ipswich, arrived at Ipswich at 1547, just 13 late on its original arrival time ! (slowed up by 1P47 1500 Ex Norwich)
It went via Norwich station rather than the Wensum curve (reversing the unit around in the process?

TheEdge

Established Member
I

It went via Norwich station rather than the Wensum curve (reversing the unit around in the process?

Turning units in Anglia doesn't matter, it happens all the time due to the way the diagrams work, many units will do a massive triangle at some point, sometimes over a few days (Norwich - Lowestoft - Ipswich - Norwich). Its only with London bound units that there orientation is of concern.

LAX54

Established Member
The unit formed the 1555 to Peterboro, and the crew the 1602 to Lowestoft, or vice versa ! It was suggested to run it via the curve, but were told that all concerned had been advised it was running via the Station, had it missed that bit out, it could well have arrived at Ipswich right time !!

eastdyke

Established Member
The unit formed the 1555 to Peterboro, and the crew the 1602 to Lowestoft, or vice versa ! It was suggested to run it via the curve, but were told that all concerned had been advised it was running via the Station, had it missed that bit out, it could well have arrived at Ipswich right time !!
Nice work by GA!
IIRC Wensum curve is worked as a through siding these days, ie not for passenger service use.

LAX54

Established Member
We can run passenger services via the Wensum curve as long as the route is set throughout and authorised by the on call Manager (if needed / or published ), bit like running via the reception roads 1 and 2 in and out of the Station :)_

eastdyke

Established Member
We can run passenger services via the Wensum curve as long as the route is set throughout and authorised by the on call Manager (if needed / or published ), bit like running via the reception roads 1 and 2 in and out of the Station :)_
Thanks. Nearly then!

Status
Not open for further replies.