• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSGs FoSS Trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Gotta admit I was surprised as you were to have 67013 and not 67001! It's as if they knew you were coming down!:lol:

Enjoying the read of Day 2 so far, the nostalgia bits are certainly welcome. You really wouldn't be able to tell there used to be an enormous yard at Severn Tunnel Junction back in the day, if you didn't already know it existed. Gotta say I'm amazed they haven't built upon that land yet with more housing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm looking forward to the rest! Vote 43002 as well! I personally hate the livery that 43126 is in. What do you think of it?

More entertaining reading LSG I do like your style, the enthusiasm really comes through! The place you saw 66541 is merely called Bristol Railport.

allowing the mainline loco that brought it in to go and do something else

Imagine loco's being so in demand nowadays!

Established Member
Many thanks for all your kind words folks, very much appreciated.
DAY 2 continued​

I bail off 43002, with the intention of hanging round a bit to see if I can gather in that last 142, 142069, for those remotely interested, to clear all of the Welsh pacers. Techniquest had text me to say it was due back at around 18,40, however I was hoping to make tracks before then, for now I was looking at the job, they'd done of 43002, I have to admit they've done a good job, certainly nice to see something in an original BR Blue. Shame it didn't keep it's original name of, Top of The Pops.

whisper his name round any self respecting Deltic basher, especially if you value your life:lol:
I now had a bit of a dilema, do I stay at Cardiff or do I go to Westbury as planned, the thought of getting much required Colas 70's and a chance of picking up 1 of the 5 59's, in the bag over a 142, was outwieghing staying but clearing the Welsh pacers for sight too. Jeez, never had a 142 caused me so much consternation. I went off the station and on the way out grabbed a coffee and went for a ciggy. To hell with it I thought and went and looked at the PIS, still in two minds but I saw a train for Southampton was leaving in about 10mins, I looked up and said, ok, youve got 10mins or I'm off. I stood by winner 158950 awaiting to see if 142069 would turn up, as I waited 150278 and 153333, were duly copped but just before I bailed on 158950 for the run out to Westbury, a 142 came into sight, I'm stood there thinking, oh come on, please be 069 my hopes were dashed it was 142075, so I got on said 158 and prompyly made for Westbury, I may have been disappointed not to get that last 142 but Cardiff had been brilliant for me and getting there for the build up to the Evening Peak and Canton threw all and sundry out, was a plan that certainly came together, cheers Canton.:D

We leave Cardiff from Platform 0, from what I was told, its a strange one for this service to leave by, I note 4 DB sheds in the sidings between Cardiff and Newport, we then race 60091 on an oil train, through the tunnel into Newport station and the 158 wins, till we come to a halt and the 60 charges through Newport station but on leaving, we pass it again, as it's been halted at the signal. No more than 2 mins later I very happily cop 70806 on a log train, I summise it's from Chirk on its way to Baglan Bay, though I stand to be corrected. After which there wasn't a great deal to see and the run downhill throught Severn Tunnel wasn't half as much fun, as that on 150243. One saving grace was the trolley service, I was out of fluids, so I bought two bottles of diet coke, one I threw in the bag, the other I gulped down in a flash, as we went past Barton Hill, the 31 that had been parked right over the back and had been bugging me, revealed itself to be 31452. I don't need any 31s but it always nice to note the sighting of one regardless.

The run between Bath Spa and Westbury seemed to take an eternity and the warm weather had certainly brought the cyclists out in force, getting on and off at different points on the way, before I thankfully bailed at Westbury. I went through the underpass and onto the far platform to get a view of the loco's stabled, no 59's but cops 70807 66849 were easily ID'd, the other 3 weren't, no matter how I tried, I did get a brucie bonus though one of LSGs faves was in there, not needed but still a lovely sight, 47749 was parked over the back, for which I had to stand on the southern end of Platform 1 to view. I got talking to a fellow crank, who was touring round in his camper van and had pretty much been there on and off all day. I clicked yet more HST stock and yet more units, all more onto the cops list. I still had time to get more, snaring 150128, which left me needing jusr 150102 to get all of PM's 150/1s. One of kites rides 159013 also joined the cops list. Meanwhile 66124 and 60007, kept the fellow crank and myself, mildly entertained with shunting ballast wagons up and down the yard.

I remember the days of Westbury being full of 56's, screeching in and out with loaded stone trains, the 59s hadn't been long in the country then. I was stood in roughly the same spot, talking to the fellow ctank, as I was many years ago, when, John, Glen, Maxy and I, all copped 47901, when it sauntered off the yard into the platform taking us and the rest of the coach party by surprise, I think I only ever saw it once more after that, sure it was ar Crewe, never ever heard of it turning up in the North East, needless to say we were delighted, as were the camera lads, I think it filled a few photo requirements that afternoon. A bit more HST stick and 153369 went into the cops list, before the fellow crank said his goodbyes, he was going for a bit kip before heading over to Banbury. I was now starting to flag, so I vowed next one towards Shirley's mine. I was rewarded with one of kites rides this time, winner 159103 took me to Bath Spa.

Have to say the interiors on SWT are a credit to them, a woman surely has to have chosen the colours because for the life of me, I can't think a bloke would've put as much effort into making sure the tones blended together so well. Unfortunately my phone died and had I of known about the declassified first class, I'd have went and found a charge point to rejuice the phone. It proved to be a huge error on two fronts, I shouldve charged the phone or just stayed onboard 159103. I bailed at Bath Spa, a minute afer the 159 disappeared came the news that there'd been a fatality at Didcot and my +10 was now a +109. Oh darn was my response, well it wasn't, it certainly was oh but the 2nd word rhymed with duck. To cut a long story short I was there for close to an hour and a half before winner 158953 turned up to take everyone else and I too, to Shirley. The guard came round to check the tickets, as well as asking where folk were going on arrival at Shirley. Fortunately if they didn't hold my connection, there was one more train to WSM, however that was due at 23.50.

Fortunately they held the train and we pulled in on the opposite platform, to walk off one unit ,straight onto another, it was a service to Exeter St Davids formed of double winners 150122 & 153369, oh great, a bit dogbox action. The dog box was rammed, standing room only, for some reason the 150 was locked out. I got into WSM for about 23.45 and after buying a sarnie and large can of rockstar at tesco, I hobbled back to base camp well after midnight.

I was totally knackered, I went for a shower, threw my shorts and t-shirt on and went downstairs, bought a pint of coke, went a sat on the terrace had a ciggy and reflected on what had been a long but hugely productive day, especially at Cardiff. I said my goodnights to the Night Porter before goig and transferring everything from dictaphone to notebook and crashed out around 2am.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good end to the day! Shame about the extremely long fester at Bath though and shame that Westbury wasn't still full of 56s!

Established Member
Great stuff.
47901 is a loco that I wish had been preserved.
I saw it a few times, but never working - usually parked up in or around Doncaster works when they were trying to fix its, ultimately fatal, issues.

I think there's no way 43002 was ever going to be renamed Top Of The Pops because a) TOTP was one of the worse names to ever grace a railway vehicle and b) remember who named it - I'm sure nobody on the railway wants those associations being brought back up!
Sir Kenneth Grange is a sensible name, I like it.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
very interesting - Westbury is the best spot for Colas 70's and for 59's. Looks like you got some decent travel in. I have added you on Twitter.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Now now LSG, no more talk of renaming 43002 Top of the Pops, if we're going to rename it anything it should get its Techniquest nameplates back. Not biased whatsoever... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another excellent read there squire, it filled a significant chunk of my work-bound commute so my thanks! Shame 142069 didn't turn up there before you left Cardiff that night, it would have been quite the icing on the cake of an excellent session at Cardiff. I seem to vaguely remember 142069 was my last ATW 142 to see back in the day, I recall texting someone (might have been OTS from the days of TTF, those of us from that era will remember him no doubt!) once at Cardiff about not leaving Cardiff until I'd seen it. Common sense eventually rolled up I believe and I jumped on an HST back to Swansea, oh how I miss those days of living over there, things were so different 11 and 12 years ago...

The 70 you saw in the Newport area, if it did indeed work down from Chirk I think that's routed via The Ford. If so I need to investigate times etc, as I need a fair few Colas 70s for sight still.

I need to see 43002 in its current colour scheme (and for the benefit of Blindtraveller and anyone else who uses a screen reader, the nameplate it carries and is in the photo is Sir Kenneth Grange) and form my own opinion on how it looks. Its very first colour scheme of black and yellow, which I forget if it would have carried it in public service and view, would have looked incredible. That being said, Intercity Swallow would look marvellous on the beast too, although it may be no surprise I'd be happy to have it back in the revised 'Barbie' livery as it is how I'll always remember it. Excuse me while I finish tripping down Memory Lane before branching off at Nostalgia Avenue...

Bring on the next instalment, promises to be a good read again!

Kristofferson

Excellent stuff LSG, real shame about that damn 142 and the +109!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noddy1878

Established Member
Another great day! That was some wait at Bath. Surely you didn't wait at the station for that long? I would have gone into the town. Loads of great pubs in Bath to lessen the fester there. Glad you have seen plenty of locos you need. 47749 was another that has been there a while now I think along with 60007 that you mentioned on Twitter. Certainly the lats two times I passed through Westbury they were both there.

Established Member
Day 3- FoSSing Hell look at the time​

Today the plan was get up early, get breakfast and make tracks to Eastleigh, where I'd have a bit of a spotting session, hoping to bag some of those elusive freightliner 70's, of which I'll explain later, going via Salisbury, to hopefully bag some SWT units for sight, then on to Romsey to Eastleigh, coming back via Southampton, to go past the Freight Terminal up and back through Westbury, bail and have half an hour there and try and get some winner in for haulage, while seeking out more cops. That was the plan.

The plan failed at the first hurdle, I didnt even hear the alarm go off at 07.15 but I awoke at 8.15, with a jesus h christ, look at the time. I bolted outta bed and went straight for a shower, brushed my teeth, hoyed some clothes on, quickly packed the bag, made a flask up and charged downstairs for breakfast. Again I had a mega full english, with a pot of cofffee, grabbing an apple to throw in my bag. About 5 past 9, I was marching up to the Station in a rather brisk fashion. Even though I had planned to be at the station 20mins ago, the extra kip had done me a world of good, I really needed a supply raid but wanted to make tracks, my coffee, apple and Large bag of Gressington Duck with plum sauce and Spring Onion Kettle Chips, which I strongly reccommend by the way, werent gonna last very long. I especially needed a cold drink too, even at 09.15, it was warm and shaping up to be a hot one.

I arrived to find the next train outta WSM was about 10mins late and due apparently in 3 mins. Result. Shame then the first journey up to Shirley was on fresh duds from yesterday, 43093 & 43126. Well you can't win em all, I got an unreserved table seat and settled in, guess which fred was at Bristol Railport, if you guessed 66541, congratulations, you won a prize, just send your bank details a pin number and we'll arrange to send your specisl prize to you immediatley. It wasn't all bad news because today 66505 was there too and duly copped, whey hey!! After bailing at Shirley, I went straight to the PIS and found a train going to Southampton in about 20mins, so I whizzed off the platform, well I say whizzed, for the umpteeth time the FoSS didn't let me through the barriers, I did tell the guy at the gate, it wouldn't work but he insisted I try and looked at me, when I said, told you. I went into Smiths and got a meal deal but also got a bottle of Dt Pepper, which I drained, whilst standing outside having a ciggy.

The same guy saw me walking back towards the barriers, this time he just let me through the barriers and I didn't have far to walk as my train was leaving from this platform, winner 158798 was my chariot to Salisbury, where I managed to get a table seat on the right hand side, on this lightly loaded service. I sat back updated the hashtag and read a bit of Railways Illustrated until about Trowbridge.

We were appeoaching Westbury when 47749 went in the opposite direction, to where I'm not sure. On leaving Westbury I cop
70802 70810 70801 70808 woo hoo, meaning I've copped 7 out of the 10 Colas 70's, unfortunately 803 is knackered and on Laira apparently, so I doubt that'll get a chance to be seen anytime soon. There's a few other DB Sheds on, however no 59's floating round which was a shame, still stuck needing all the 59/1s and 59005, I was hoping to get at least 1 but the haul of Colas 70's copped, more than made up for that, no point getting to greedy.

Bailing at Salisbury, I quickly got amongst whatever SWT units were about, I copped all 4 that were there, going great guns on that front today. How I'd have loved to get on that far platform to have a look see over the wall into the depot, that would've certainly batted a few requirements right out of the park. Afterwards I went off the station for a ciggy, by god it was warm now. I made my way back onto the platform and was eventually let through, after the Rover again failed to open the barier, the guy said, ah this Rover, its one thats got through the system, never works the barriers, I said, tell me about it, its amazing, we can put a man on the moon, speak to people on the opposite side of the earth via a phone but you cant get a valid ticket to open a barrier on a station, he agreed and laughinly said, thats progress for you and let me through. I looked on the PIS and saw a train to Romsey about 5mins away, then noticed it was a GWR service, oh well, bang goes the chance of a winning 158 or 159.

To my surprise in rolled dud 150120, which ironically was my first ever 150 for haulage, many many moons back and triggered another nostalgic memoir.

I'd done an overnighter at Carlisle the night before and had staggered down from Carlisle, bashing the electrics, getting off at Preston, Wigan and Warrington, I'd bailed off at Crewe, from whatever electric it was, wandered down the platform, probably to pick off whatever was on view at CD and found myself face to face with 37408 Loch Rannoch on either a Crewe-Derby or Nottingham run, though I can't be totally sure about to Nottingham but something rings true about it. My plan that day, was to bash back n forth on the 86's, 87's and 90's on the Manchester Picc to Euston trains but having been confronted by a 37 with 3, maybe 4 coaches, saw where it was going and with, I can't miss out on this ringing in my head, bolted to the ticket office and promptly bought a return to Derby. I returned pretty much staright away from Derby on none other than 150120.

Today my ole friend was taking me to Romsey and without thinking I just jumped aboard and off we went, I had an after thought, I fired up RTT and found, I had about a plus 5, I'd never been to Romsey before, hopefully its not one of them silly staggered platforms like Frizinghall, unless I'm knackered. I needn't have worried, it was through the underpass, wait a couple of mins and onto winner 158885 down to Eastleigh, the shortish journey saw me reaching for LSGs Black Box of Doom, as the stop after Romsey, may have been Redbridge, not totally sure, 3 young chavs, had my head done in, in a matter of minutes, so I drowned them out with Metallicas-Battery, Dead Kennedy's-Moon over Marin, Placebo's-Meds and Judas Priest-Painkiller, how apt was the last song and by the time they'd finished, I was bailing at Eastleigh.

I crossed over the bridge to see what was stabled in the station and was met by these lovelies, sorry its not a great photo, there off my phone, plus Im crap at this photography lark, anyhow I'm met by cop 73109 Borough of Eastleigh and 73119, behind them was Colas shed 66848, which unlike 73119, joined the ever growing cops list too.

I needed a cold drink, the weather was glorious but had really started to get hot, so I made over the platform and was halfway over it, when I noticed something coming through the glass on the bridge, I flew down the stairs and made it in time to see, 73952 and 73962 plus stock, on a test train to add 4 more cops(the 2 73s + plus 2 of the coaches) to the list. Now I could go for a cold drink, I went to the coffee vendour just off the platform and bought a large Strawberry milkshake topped with squirty cream, by did that hit the spot, I drank ravenously, to the point I got brain freeze, it was the best £2.80 I spent in a while.

I walked up Platform 1 and got halfway up and sat on the floor with my back against fence (the Southampton end of the platform) and was counting up the cops so far today(i'll leave you all in suspenders till the end of last day for the totals but I was doing well to say the least) the first 450 and 444 I saw, surprisingly weren't cops but as the day wore on I snared a fair few of them too, there was a fair bit of freight came through, more bloody planes but I'm not an aviation fan, however only 66504 66556 and 70020 were added to the loco cop list. I was especially pleased to see 70020, as it's only the 2nd Freightliner 70 to go into the NREA. How I dunno because it's not for a want of trying, I've seen a few but couldn't ID them, they were too far away, eg- far side of Basford Hall, on my HoE, I also stood at Stafford, Nuneaton, Leamington Spa and Rugby for hours on end, awaiting for at least one to pass by, no show. North West Rover, I stood at Piccadilly to see if one came off or went to Trafford Park, no show either, before that when they were passing through Carlisle, my mate snared a few there, I went, was there all day and night, again nowt. The only 1, I actually saw was 70003 at Midland Road, why do they go into hiding, even today, it was just 1 but a welcome one at that. it maybe a crap pic but here it is for prosperity.

As I got up to take a pic of that 70, I soon realised my left leg had gone numb, I went to stamp down on the floor, to get the blood rushing through my leg and foot, it was weird, it felt like my leg was missing and I tumbled backwards into the fence, like I'd just drank 10 pints of Stella:oops:, also the heat was starting to get to me, I was frying, well my face and arms seemed to be, so I decided to go to Tescos/Sainsbury's, whichever I cant remember, on a supply raid and enjoyed a break from the opressive heat whilst in the chilled isle. 10 mins later, I'm suitably stocked up and on leaving said supermarket, I guzzled some of the ice cold fresh orange, I'd just purchased from the Carton, it was sheer heaven.

I done another hour or so, seeing the resident gronk in EWS livery, go up into the virtual quarry, however I need your help here, although I saw it, I didnt say the number into the dictaphone, Im sure it was something like 08904 but I've totally forgot now, anyone the wiser?, its in EWS maroon or whatever you'd call it. After 66718 flew through, an AR winner in 159108 arrived with a train to Southampton Central, I thought, lets get outta here, I remembered kites words, declassified first class, folk obviously aren't aware of this and walk through, I sat and charged my phone in comfort, in relative tranquility, till we got to Southampton, where the rest crammed ito the rest of the train, on arrival I bailed the train and the station for a welcome ciggy.

to be continued

Last edited:
Hi Mickey, more entertaining reading, cheers. Yes, can confirm the gronk at Eastleigh was 904. Nowt wrong with your taste in music either, can't beat a bit of Jello! Although I don't think he features on Moon over Marin as if I'm correct it's instrumental! As a fellow punk fan I can confirm my username comes from Bad Religion's song Along The Way :) Look forward to reading more.

I stand corrected Phil, I have revisited it and you are quite correct. Dunno where I got that idea from, unless I heard another version somewhere. But yes, great tune!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a brilliant first part! Shame about oversleeping but it sounds like it didn't disrupt your plans. I'm looking forward to part 2.

Established Member
Hi Mickey, more entertaining reading, cheers. Yes, can confirm the gronk at Eastleigh was 904. Nowt wrong with your taste in music either, can't beat a bit of Jello! Although I don't think he features on Moon over Marin as if I'm correct it's instrumental! As a fellow punk fan I can confirm my username comes from Bad Religion's song Along The Way :) Look forward to reading more.

Cheers Jay, especially confirming the gronk, will have to check and see if I need it or not. Yeah punk, indie, metal and thrash music really float my boat. Bad Religion, I've heard some of there songs, not heard Along the Way but will check em out a bit more. Like the Dead Kennedys but absolutely love The Ramones. Glad Phil answered the question on Moon Over Marin, obviously putting the link up meant I had to listen.

55013 said;- Brilliant stuff. I think my next multi day adventure is almost certain to be a FoSS.

Oh, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47403 View Post
Dead Kennedy's-Moon over Marin
Is one of my all time favourite songs, from one of the best bands ever - it's fantastic.

Jay, it definitely has words, you can catch up with it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSuMixiBX4

Wow, many thanks Phil, Glad I've inspired you, bet you don't cop as much as I did though. Glad to hear of another Dead Kennedy's fan, I like Jocko Rama and the infamous Holiday in Cambodia too.

fishquinn said;- Sounds like a brilliant first part! Shame about oversleeping but it sounds like it didn't disrupt your plans. I'm looking forward to part 2.

It didn't fortunately young quinn, I just done the usual, stay out a bit later, thats what the trips are about for me, out as soon as the Rover starts, back late.

Last edited:

Established Member
All good songs, Holiday In Cambodia and California Uber Alles are on my list, as well as Kill The Poor, Nazi Punks, Pull My Strings and Too Drunk.
A top band, it's a real shame they fell out over money :(

Keith Jarrett

This FoSS is going rather well. Pity that it's all coming to an end shortly.

Your session at Eastleigh sounds very interesting - been there several times myself and enjoyed every moment. There always seems to be something on the move.

I'm sure that it's 73119 that has the name Borough of Eastleigh rather than 73109 which used to be Battle of Britain.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fantastic read there squire, well looking forward to the next part when it's ready. I can only imagine what bashing in that heat was like, it was tough working in it!

I too want to do a FoSS as well, but it's almost entirely only for 444s that I want to do one for. Well, and one 158 of course lol.

As for your first ever 150 ride nostalgia, it must have been one heck of a comedown after that 37 thrash!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good start of the day (bar oversleeping, but that happens to everybody once in a while)

Would have been Chandlers Ford after Romsey (assuming you went the direct route, which I assume you did as the timings worked out).

Unless that 159 was working one of the peak-time short workings from Winchester towards Southampton which I believe is standard class only [this is going from memory of standing around Winchester station last year getting Shawford in my book with a 5 minute wait between services]. If it was working a Romsey Rocket loop service [don't ask why they are called that] then they have 1st class.

My reference was with the GW hired-in unit which is standard class only (and is a nice place to be between Stroud & Westbury) :)

Established Member
Keith said;- This FoSS is going rather well. Pity that it's all coming to an end shortly.

Your session at Eastleigh sounds very interesting - been there several times myself and enjoyed every moment. There always seems to be something on the move.

I'm sure that it's 73119 that has the name Borough of Eastleigh rather than 73109 which used to be Battle of Britain.

Your probably right, concerning the named 73, the FoSS went really well. Only one minor hiccup, which will become clear very soon.

Day 3 Continued​

Obviously the Rover was playing havoc at the barriers up and down the FoSS boundaries, getting off and back on the station at Southampton, was a total mare. The guy at the barriers, shot me a look, when the FoSS was declined again, as if to say, oh christ, what do I have to do here, I said, it's been like this at every barrier, may as well just open the barrier, he litterally snatched my ticket to check it, to be truthful, I don't think he had a clue what it was and was gonna keep it, I said, I'll have that back please, it's a rover, he checked again and said wheres the rest its says 1 of 2, I showed him the other part to it and eventually I got the ticket back and got off the platform, I had a ciggy and a drink of coffee and 5 minutes sit whilst doing so.

I walked back to the barrier and the same guy was obviously still there, I said, you've just seen it doesn't work mate, may as well open the barrier and he just pointed at the slot to put the ticket through again, didn't speak, just pointed, so I had to go through the whole rigmarole again, only this time, he says, this ticket isn't valid, I said its a Rover, ofcourse its valid, till Sunday actually, I can choose any 3 days in that week to travel, yeah came his reply, around Newcastle. I said no mate, it was issued from Newcastle but I can use it from Worcester to Portsmouth and Weymouth, up to Bristol and Cardiff, he said, I don't think so. I was starting to get a tad miffed, ok I'll show you so will I, sparked up the phone and showed him the FoSS Boundaries and the Stations I can use it at, on the GB Railrover Guide, he said, but Newcastles not on there, so it won't be valid, by this time, a queue behind was forming and I was starting to get really agitated, I said look mate, will you listen what I'm trying to tell you, I bought the rover in Newcastle, I didn't use the ticket till I got to Weston Super Mare, I haven't travelled from Newcastle to here on it, I can only use it in them boundaries I showed you, then the pearler came, HE SAID, but its not working the barriers, at last!!!, the penny was dropping, I said, I know it aint, in fact the only one its HAS bloody worked at was Newport but thats not my bloody fault but I'm getting the same crap, you gave me, getting out not 5 sodding minutes ago, YOU, had to open the barrier then too. Fortunately a woman in a yellow jacket came over, took one look at the Rover and said, oh one of them, let him through, adding sorry aboout that Sir. I just grabbed my ticket and stared a million stares at him. What a dick.

I walked over to the far platform, ate a few pork pies and clicked a few SWT D and EMU's and tried to calm down. 66414 came through towards the Freight Terminal and 66093 came through shortly after, coming from it. Soon after winner158881 arrived to take me back to Salisbury, past Southampton's Freight Terminal, there was about 6 freds on there, 5 of which I'd seen today, the only 1 I hadn't was 66594 which was parked up waiting to go in. Again I made the most of the declassified first class, putting my phone onto charge and enjoyed a peaceful run back up to Sailsbury.

I had roughly 30-45mins here, enough time to get a few more cops, 159001 159101 and 158880, all joined this ever growing list, much to my enjoyment. Still wish I was allowed to get over that far more platform, to have a butchers in the Depot.

Next up was AR winner 158955 for the ride up to Westbury, about 5mins outside of Westbury a Colas 70 passed us, no idea which one but a quick butchers at RTT, showed that it was off to Eastleigh. At Westbury itself 70810 was readying itself to go Southwards with an engineers train, a couple of unrequired DB sheds and only 66849, was left on the stabling point and the only Colas 70 left on Westbury remained UID at the bottom of the yard. In the relative short time I was there, I managed to click 2 rakes of HST stock before another AR winner 158959 arrived to take me up to Bath Spa.

Fortunately no delays tonight, but I made for the open gate on platform 1 and went for ciggy in the car park, I went and had a look at the PIS to see what else was due and noticed about half an hour, maybe 40mins, after the train I was due to get on, there was a London Paddington to Weston Super Mare due too, so if there was nothing on offer at Shirley, I had that to fall back on to get back to base camp. Sure enough double winners 43021 & 43016 arrived for another phone charge and a spin to back to Shirley's Temple. I managed to get a table seat to myself, got my phone on charge, sat back and relaxed.

Arriving at Shirley I went through the underpass in search of a move, however, there wasn't a great deal on offer, even a unit back to WSM was dud 150925, with time getting on any longer moves were out of the question, I did think of doing a move out to Filton Abbey Wood or Bristol Parkway but both moves were within 5mins of the Weston Super Mare HST, so I just decided I may as well just get on that.

The wait was worthwile too because double winners 43024 & 43026 turned up to take me back to WSM, which was very lightly loaded, think I had coach D all to myself, we even pulled in on the platform 1, meaning I had to use the footbridge for the first time. I was back in my digs for just after 11, I ordered a pint of coke at the bar and went upstairs for a shower, that's when I realised I'd caught the sun on my arms and face, to say it stung a tad, was a slight under exageration. The day had been a big success, I had a cuppa and a mars bar and started transferring stuff from dictaphone to notebook, then started markig stuff into the NREA, I was on till 02.40 before I finished.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Your probably right, concerning the named 73, the FoSS went really well. Only one minor hiccup, which will become clear very soon.

Day 3 Continued​

I walked back to the barrier and the same guy was obviously still there, I said, you've just seen it doesn't work mate, may as well open the barrier and he just pointed at the slot to put the ticket through again, didn't speak, just pointed, so I had to go through the whole rigmarole again, only this time, he says, this ticket isn't valid, I said its a Rover, ofcourse its valid, till Sunday actually, I can choose any 3 days in that week to travel, yeah came his reply, around Newcastle. I said no mate, it was issued from Newcastle but I can use it from Worcester to Portsmouth and Weymouth, up to Bristol and Cardiff, he said, I don't think so. I was starting to get a tad miffed, ok I'll show you so will I, sparked up the phone and showed him the FoSS Boundaries and the Stations I can use it at, on the GB Railrover Guide, he said, but Newcastles not on there, so it won't be valid, by this time, a queue behind was forming and I was starting to get really agitated, I said look mate, will you listen what I'm trying to tell you, I bought the rover in Newcastle, I didn't use the ticket till I got to Weston Super Mare, I haven't travelled from Newcastle to here on it, I can only use it in them boundaries I showed you, then the pearler came, HE SAID, but its not working the barriers, at last!!!, the penny was dropping, I said, I know it aint, in fact the only one its HAS bloody worked at was Newport but thats not my bloody fault but I'm getting the same crap, you gave me, getting out not 5 sodding minutes ago, YOU, had to open the barrier then too. Fortunately a woman in a yellow jacket came over, took one look at the Rover and said, oh one of them, let him through, adding sorry aboout that Sir. I just grabbed my ticket and stared a million stares at him. What a dick.

Shall watch out for this one if he appears on my ALR. He'll probably have a meltdown considering the ticket says 'issued at: FGW Web sales', he'll probably claim that's not within the rover validity area :lol:

Anyway that's an excellent few days you've got going on there, cracking reads.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Great read there.

Day 3 reminds me strongly of my own FOSS a few weeks ago, particularly the Colas 70s. I scored 801/5/8/9 at Westbury and 804/10 at Eastleigh on a similar route to you. Most lucrative!

Hope Day 4 is as much fun, but maybe without the colitis at the ticket barriers :)

noddy1878

Established Member
Thoroughly enjoying this read. I liked you rant when you ticket wouldn't work at Southampton! The only place (unless they have changed something!) that I ever had problems at was Bath. Everywhere else that I have used it let me though.

Day 3- FoSSing Hell look at the time​
I flew down the stairs and made it in time to see, 73952 and 73962 plus stock, on a test train to add 4 more cops(the 2 73s + plus 2 of the coaches) to the list.

Was it definitely 73952? Thats a NR one in yellow livery (and not running well at all).

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The barrier guy sounds like a total idiot! Other than that it sounds like you had a great time! What was the winner count in the end?

Established Member
The barrier guy was a total clown young Quinn. Hopefully he was just having a bad day unless, Richard he'll have you transferred onto a ferry.

Roebuck top marks fine sir, I was in kinks at the colitis remark.

Now you have me doubting myself, the front 73 was definitely NR Yellow, the other a GB one, I'm fairly certain that was the 2 73s.

Thanks for that info kite, the guard never said anything when I sat there from Southampton to Salisbury.

Tech, I'm not one for moaning when its hot, we all seem to moan about the weather all the time, Either its, its bloody persisting it down or absolutely freezing or in this case I heard, oh its too hot, ok it did sap your energy and boy did that shower sting but Id take a day in the sun, rather than get soaked to the skin or freeze my proverbials off.

Young Quinn, you'll have to wait for the last days trip report for the numbers I'm afraid to say, nowt personal just the way I do it. Afraid your just gonna have to be patient young sir.

To all for the kind words too, many thanks, means a lot when folk enjoy reading what your writing. Hopefully I'll get the last day up sometime this evening after work. Don't hold your breath though.

Last edited:

alexf380

Established Member
A fantastic few days there Mr.LSG, just getting caught up now. Many a winner has been had and I hope the rest of your trip works out the same way....apart from that fella at So'ton, hate when that happens!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That guy on the barrier at Southampton Central clearly needed training better! He must have been having a bad day, it happens to us all in customer-facing roles at some point.

Another top read squire, looking forward to how Day 4 went. Don't envy you staying awake until 0240, I'd have been like a zombie in the morning! :lol::lol::lol:

noddy1878

Established Member
Now you have me doubting myself, the front 73 was definitely NR Yellow, the other a GB one, I'm fairly certain that was the 2 73s.

Sorry didn't mean to doubt you. :oops: You can't have missed a yellow 73 so it must have been 952. I didn't realise that GBRF ones had mixed with the the NR ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.