• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSGs Getting Out n About

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Keith - that 37106 story has made me go weak at the knees :)
That was one that I never had, so jealousy is my second emotional response.
:lol:. I must admit that reading it made me feel like I was there. Wonderful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Congratulations LSG on your multiple scores, fantastic haulage and not to mention the last Scottish 156. Also loving the fact that you are putting all your trip reports in one place now, makes life so much easier

Keep it up and do post some more excitement soon. Good luck to your daughter in her upcoming exams to

Established Member
Congratulations LSG on your multiple scores, fantastic haulage and not to mention the last Scottish 156. Also loving the fact that you are putting all your trip reports in one place now, makes life so much easier

Keep it up and do post some more excitement soon. Good luck to your daughter in her upcoming exams to

Ah Laird BT, many thanks for the kind words. The bairns a bit worried but her mam n I are doing our best to reassure her, not to panic, the SATS, has seen her homework increasing big time too, which she aint happy about at all, I didn't dare tell her it'll get worse, as she gets older.

Gllad you enjoyed the read, thanks for the kind words on the report too. Yeah it was about time I caught up with that damn 156, I was lucky, I nearly missed the damn thing. Those multiple scores the week before was a great fillip and very much unexpected too.

I'm in the process of planning something to hopefully clear out a few more classes that are required in the book of sights, trust me if I do rope them in, I'll have done exceptionally well and been really really, lucky too. Hopes are for a couple of days in March, fingers crossed anyway.

AJM580

Some excellent reading there - methinks you may need to head to East Anglia soon as the local crews have a new toy to play with - 37407!! Saw it today, so if it doesn't go bang, I may be on it Friday.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some excellent reading there - methinks you may need to head to East Anglia soon as the local crews have a new toy to play with - 37407!! Saw it today, so if it doesn't go bang, I may be on it Friday.
Phwoar. 37407 would be a massive winner for me...

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would imagine a few bashers will be heading over to Anglia in the next week or so to rope 37407 in (assuming they didn't have it when it last worked)

Established Member
I would imagine a few bashers will be heading over to Anglia in the next week or so to rope 37407 in (assuming they didn't have it when it last worked)
AJM580 said;-

Thank You for the kind words there AJM, Yeah I've seen the pictures of it on the short sets, good luck getting it AJM. I can only assume, it's appearance in Anglia means 37407, is being broken in gently. I can assure you I won't be in Anglia anytime soon, much as I'd love to rope it in myself, I've had it for haulage before but that was when it was 37305, on the Yarmouth turn, over 30yrs ago!!!!! but not as 37407. I totally agree Kite, the 37 fraternity will arrive en masse to get it in. I'd like to see it get its old Loch Long nameplates back, however I doubt they will but it's probably a knocking bet for naming at the next DRS Open Day.

Last edited:

Established Member
With the Beast from the East decimating Rail travel far n wide. I'm clinging to.the hope my sojourn to the North West, Chesire and East Midlands, this Monday will not be buried.
It'll hopefully start with the 06.46 off Toon to Carlisle. However I'm not hopeful at all. Especially as the Tyne Valley and Sou Western are currently Impassable.
If by some miracle it does come off, I'll hopefully get a few annoying gaps filled in the book of sights.

Established Member
LSGs Getting Away
(5.3.18

With very little chance of making my connection at Carlisle on the Monday Morning, thanks largely to the Beast from the East and 142090 hitting and being stuck in a snow drift, blocking the Tyne Valley line, just East of Haltwhistle, despite being there from Thursday, I was told, it looks like it'll be Monday morning before they can get it out.
received_10155507649662887.jpeg
received_10155507649597887.jpeg
not my pictures
So on the Sunday, whilst on my lunch break at work, I faffed and farted on trying to book an alternative route(I didn't fancy having to be using a Rail Replacement Bus from Hexham) via the GWR App on my phone, after much swearing and hitting sorry we cannot etc, for the 4th time in a row I swore again but gave up, telling GWR to go forth and multiply, so booked with VTEC instead, 5mins later I was booked and could actually relax and look forward to the following days trip.

I was up at the wonderful hour of 04.30 and after the ablutions, it was a quick bag check and into the back garden, to see if the thaw had started. At 06.00 I made my way to the bus stop in Ankle deep slush, lovely!! The bus was bang on time, meaning I was in town, roughly 10mins later and after calling into Greggs, for bacon sarnies, coffee and a couple of steak bakes for later, I was stood on the South end of Platform 4 by 06.35. Just in time to see 66068 go through on the Tees-Mossend Modal, the first one that had ran for over 4 days, 67030 is the thunderbird. 180106, still in its GWR pyjama's went up to Heaton and despite continuously looking, there's still no sign of those 2 VTEC coaches I'm after for the book of sights.

I wandered(lonely as a cloud) to the North end of Platform 4, to be in place to see if I would get a winner blunt on the 07.29, mind you the way the way they'd been decimated by the Beast from the East over the last few days, I was unsure if there'd be many blunts in service. For the first time in absolutely yonks, it was a winner too. 91125 would be my steed to York. I was booked on coach D but just climbed aboard the quiet coach, found a decent seat, switched the phone onto silent and read my book, briefly looking up at Tyne Yard, where the 325 was covering owt that was in. I got so engrossed in my book, we were whizzing through Thirsk before I knew it.

Only D9009 was visible at the NRM and unfortunately no required 150s in the Harrogate bays, yeah sometimes there's the odd one I need there. As I barged over the bridge towards Platform 4, where the 185 on the 08.40 to Liverpool, was waiting. 88008 was seen in one of South facing bays and as I left on winner 185106, 37218 was in the Parcel Sidings, having a rest, after being on ploughing duty up and down the East Coast and surrounding areas over the last few days.

I haven't had a run over the Pennines for a good couple of years, whilst I'm not a huge fan of units, the 185s are more than bearable but couldn't help think what the 68's will be like, when they come into service, not a patch on the old days, when 31/4s and 47s roamed free, Wagons too, (if that was your thing) were available but the chance to get Loco hauled over here, will be a trip I will definitely not miss out on, when they become available again. Hopefully by then the Latte's will taste a damn sight better by then, the one I got off the trolley service left a lot to be desired, fortunately, one of the steak bakes took the taste away. I put my nose back in my book and hadn't even realised a young lass, had actually sat beside me. Soon enough we came through Guide Bridge, where I spied
323238, one of my 2 Northern 323's I was after for sight, Happy days. After the young lass had made for the door I gathered up my belongings and mobile house and bailed at Man Picc, where things got better 142039 entered the book of sights too, only 5 more to get and I don't need to look at another bouncing bomb ever again.

The plan for this trip was to try and rope in, as many of NH's bouncing bombs, if not all and hopefully put a dent in the 10 150's I still need, the 319s and now 1 more 323. I'd also decided today would be a good day to start hunting out these trams for sight. Add in the handful of 175s I need too, with a bit of luck, it could be a profitable couple of days. After a quick scour of the platforms, I left the station, had a ciggy and walked through the streets to Piccadilly Gardens, noting all the trams on the way, after an hour or so, I got bored and paid the £1.20 for the journey back to Piccadilly on winner for everything 3104, for a maiden voyage on one.

Back at Piccalilly, I walk onto the Station concourse, there's a bouncing bomb in the nearest platform, I look through the barriers and got another roped in, this time 142044, 2 out of a possible 6 so far. Pleased me no end. Not long after I jumped aboard winner 323228 to Crewe, in order to go and check into base camp for the evening.

to be continued...........................................................................................................................

Last edited:

Established Member
LSGs Getting Away
continued
I know I couldve taken a quicker route to Crewe but It's been a long time since I'd had a Northern Starship for haulage, so thats why i plumped for this route and I'm fairly certain it was a new line for me, well albeit reversing out the airport and onwards, i usually went direct via Stockport, in the good old days, I'd jump on an 86 or 87 or even better a 37/4, on the Cardiff turns. I also vagiely remember getting on the old 304 EMUs from time to time too. Them were the days folks.

At Crewe I had a butcher's round the platforms, I was hoping I could rope in a few of the LM 350s. After half an hour, I made for the exits and head for my digs for the Evening. The Hunters Lodge Hotel, which according to Google maps was 27min walk away but 8 mins by car. Taxi !!!!

Checking in was quick n easy and the place is very impressive and the room was very smart indeed. I made a coffee and ate my other steak bake before freshening up and dumped the mobile house, throwing the bare essentials into the havasack and off out again by 13.30. I don't know who said it was 27mins walk to the Station, maybe they had a stone in their shoe but I done it in roughly 18mins and I'm great at getting lost.

Back at Crewe, I managed to add a track machine of some sort and 2 350s to.the book of sights before winner 175108 arrived to take me to Stocport, where I'd hopefully continue the winning run. On the way to Stockport, I checked the TOPS thread and 37078 had came up trumps for gen on my remaining required bouncing bombs and if that said fellow is reading this, many thanks for your time kind sir. I bailed off at Stockport with the intent of roping in a 150 for haulage. I just fancied getting one in, a bit longer than an Occy road leap anyway. However that thought went out the window when I heard the immortal words announced over the station tannoy, services maybe delayed or cancelled at short notice due to a broken rail in the Stockport area, so when winner 390047 rolled in beside me, i had no intention of looking inside this gift horses gob for one moment.

Back at Piccalilly things were starting to warm up nicely for the peak, there's a few GWR 150s kicking round, unfortunately everyone I saw was dud for sight and haulage from when I was on my FoSS. It wasn't all bad news, I managed to snag one of 2 long time 150 gap fillers, 150148 was duly scored for sight. Soon after 70003 and 70004 whizzed through platforms 13 and 14 respectively, the latter adding itself to the book of sights. Then gen I'd received on the 1D31 aka the 16.50 Manchester-Llandudno was also bang on, so i was happy with that. Around 16.40, I made my way down to opposite end of Platform 14 and awaited the crush that is mad rampage to get on and get a seat. I never do take a seat, im just after the front droplight window on the left hand side. Winner 67016 was my chariot to Chester and 3 coaches, gladly entered the book of sights too. Now hopefully the required bouncing bomb would be at Chester too. Passing the yard at Warrington there was about 6 DB sheds in there. Nowt remotely startling about the journey but at South Helsby junction the old signal box and station at least had a slice of ole Railway History about it. Just outside the station looks like there must've been a rather large siding or yard, however the rails are rusted and the track bed are completely overgrown, as the ravages of time have passed. Anyone the wiser before i remember to check on Google.
67016 chester.jpg
At Chester I had about 15mins to the next train back to Manchester. So after watching 67016 depart for Llandudno, I went off the station for a cold drink n a ciggy. On returning I saw a 142051 leave for where im not sure. I also scored another track machine but an ATW 158 had got more of my attentions, if truth be told. It had every right too. It was a 7th winner on the spin, not just a winner, a winner for everything 158832. I can't remember much of the journey, I flaked out for a bit, must've been the heat, certainly was toasty aboard, I woke up, I'd hoped, somewhere between Warrington and Manchester and was more than relieved to see us pull into Newton Le Willows.

After arriving back at Piccalilly, I was now clamming and after a ciggy outside, I went to Burger King and ordered my food, had a further butcher's round the platforms, alas no new sightings on show that I needed, that broken rail at Stockport from earlier, was still causing major disruption, services were either cancelled or running extremely late, so I just called it a day, i jumped aboard winner 390156 and found a seat and fortunately found a table seat that wasn't reserved. I put my phone on charge and ate my food, keeping a beady eye out the window, watching stuff come and go. Thankfully
175106 kindly added itself to the book of sights. Whilst sitting on board our departure time came and went, when the train manager announced, we're sorry for the delay but at the current time, we have no driver, due to him being caught up in the delays on an incoming train. It was 45mins before we actually left Man Picc. I could've easily bailed and went for another move but after sitting eating my bait I was too stuffed to move.

It was after 9 by the time we reached Crewe, on bailing I conveniently fell upon another for the book of sights,
158828 was coupling up to 153367 before heading off to bed for the night. I managed to get a couple more for the book of sights before I too, decided enough was enough and set off on the walk back to base camp. I was happy with my lot today, in fact, a very happy bunny indeed, plenty new sights for the book and a whole day of winners on the haulage front, then the heavens opened halfway back and kindly flooded out them happy thoughts. Bloody weather, least its not more snow i tried to convince myself.

Last edited:

Established Member
A couple of great reads, there.
Looks like you had an enjoyable time.
I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Established Member
LSGs Getting Away
Day 2

My apologies, for the 2nd part being so long after, I've been laid up with a virus, so much so it needed a visit to the quacks and time off work, I blamed getting soaked to the skin, that night walking back to the digs in Crewe, anyway I'm much better now. Anyhow..................

I woke up the next morning at 7.30am, having had a cracking nights kip, I jumped in the shower and after getting dressed, I made my way down to the dining room for my breakfast. I ask myself, why I choose to brush my teeth in my room and then decide to help myself to a large glass of Apple juice first, will i ever learn that toothpaste and apple juice is a minging combination. Sad thing is I do it all the time. Note to self, stop being so bloody stupid, have the coffee, then the Apple juice.

The pot of coffee seems to level out my taste buds and despite it being red hot is devoured as is the full English with 2 slices of brown toast, that follows. Suitably stuffed I waddle up to my room and pick up my belongings and make to check out and leave around 08.50.

Today's not really a bashing day, it's a try and rope in some 350s, some EMT 153s and maybe some more 175s. However there's a certain 90 on Crewe Electric, I'm hoping to see and I'd heard it was visible from the front gate, so began the walk to CE, which will mean a good half hour walk.

It took.roughly 45mins to walk from my digs to Crewe Electric, I'm stood at the main gate, whilst there's a few skips and a couple of 92s, there's no sign of 90033, a bit of a wasted trip then. As I stood at the end of the road, a chav riding past, calls me a sad *******, looking over his shoulder at me, making a Choo Choo noise. I was just about to tell him to go forth and multiply, when said chavs front wheel of his bike hit the kerb and the clueless git, flew off the bike and onto the grass verge. I stood laughing my head off at him, before shouting, you wanna be careful, you'll do yourself an injury. He was rather red faced and gimped off silently. My last 90 maybe hidden in Crewe Electric away from my eyes but at least my spirits were lifted with a huge dose of karma. At that time, was the only time, I wished I'd done VLOGs, that would've been well worth showing.

Quarter of an hour later, I was back at Crewe station, I walked up the platform passed the WH Smith's, where on my first ever trip to Crewe, i bought my first ever platform 5 books and officially retired my dog eared and battered old locoshed book. Crewe's not the mecca it once was but it still holds special memories for me.

I got talking to a fellow crank by the name of Malcolm. A retired and very knowledgable gentleman, the next few hours, were very enjoyable indeed. I roped in a few more 350s, one more 175 to the cops total. 2 steam locos added a bit of nostalgia to proceedings. 46100 Royal Scot was on driver training runs to Chester I believe. 90034 and 67016, came through on their way to Wembley, which came as a bit of
2018-03-06-15-26-48.jpg
an interest to yours truly, 67016 had been on yesterday's 1D31, which meant there'd obviously been a loco change. Whilst at Crewe, I also bumped into a familiar face, a guy id met at Carlisle when I was out chasing 37424. We'd chewed the fat for a while at Carlisle. He was saying there's a chance the Pullman liveried 67 could be on the 1D31, as it was supposed to be going to Wembley with 90034. Even though i was booked on the 18.06 from Crewe to Carlisle, i had given some thought to intercepting the aforementioned at Warrington via the 1D31, the obvious loco change had obviously strengthened that possibility. The possibility of a getting another winner skip, maybe even one in posh pyjamas, had made my mind up, a couple of hours on Piccalilly wouldn't harm either, maybe a chance to find those 2 errant NH Bouncing bombs, the last Northern Starship and hopefully a couple of 150s. Better get moving soon then.

The next steam train arrived, Black 5, 45212 was on its way to Southall from the East Lancs Railway, I'm not a huge steam loco fan but even I have to admit they do have a certain grace about them.
20180306_143049.jpg
With the 2 steam engines i managed to click both of their support coaches for the book of sights so that pleased me.

Not long after both Malcolm and I boarded winner 175107 for the ride to Piccalily. Whilst Onboard I got a coffee from the trolley and one things for certain, their coffees a damn sight better than the one sold on Trans Pennine.

At Piccadilly I said farewell to Malcolm as I went for a ciggy. Was a pleasure to meet the guy. One of the good sides of the hobby is meeting like minded souls and chewing the fat and putting the world's to rights.

I returned to the Stockport end of platform 13/14, as the freight comes through them platforms. I wasn't disappointed too cos 66953 was dragging cop 70006 towards Trafford Park. 70003 went the opposite way, shortly afterwards. I scanned the 142s and starships till my head hurt. No sign of 142055, 142057 or 323225 and certainly no sign of any of the NH 150s that were required either, plenty of transferred GWR ones mind.

The guy I'd met at Carlisle and bumped into at Crewe, turned up at Piccalilly too. I shouted over to the opposite platform, you following me, he just laughed and said, ive come to see whats on the 1D31. I said ive asked for gen on it, if i find out I'll give you a shout.

The gen duly arrived, albeit 5mins after it left platform 13 for Longsight for servicing. Still I thanked them.for it. They didn't have to use their time up for it but they did. 67018 was the loco on the the 1D31, a winner for me. Not long after 67018 departed, a bouncing bomb and 150 combo approached. The 150 was absolutely gleaming and more to the point another entrant to the book of sights, welcome aboard
150149. Shortly before the 1D31 returned, 70010 went towards Trafford Park whilst 70020 went the.opposite way. I wandered down to.the opposite end of Platform 14 to await the 1D31. As usual it's manic to get on. I still somehow managed to get the left hand side droplight window. So the return journey home had started with winner 67018 to Warrington.
67018 warrington.jpg
I had roughly an hour at Warrington before my train to Carlisle, so.i went for a ciggy and a cuppa, after returning, there was very little to shout about, however the northbound Chirk Logs arrived and added a splash of colour to proceedings

60087 warrington.jpg
Fortunately just before my booked train arrived, I managed to add 175104 and 319384 to the book of sights, I made up the platform for Coach D. I was in luck, it was winner 390050 that was to be my chariot up to Carlisle. My seat was crap and even though darkness was setting in, I didn't fancy looking at a plastic pillar, so moved forward and got a better seat, then after Preston, I jumped on a now available table seat and put my phone on for a desperately needed charge. Sadly there's not a great deal to see en route to Carlisle.

I bailed at Carlisle shortly after 8, this left me 1hr 20mins till my train to Toon, so off to the chippy I went. Battered sausage, chips and curry sauce plus a bottle of diet coke. I walked back onto and up to the last bench at the top of platform 4, sat down and wolfed down my supper. Not long after a couple of Freightliner drivers wandered up the platform, stopping about 10yds short of me, within a few minutes, 86607 & 86628 pull in on a Coatbridge-Daventry modal. I watched the old war horses depart for Daventry and waited for 2 more freight turns, the Mossend-Daventry, Tesco Modal and Sellafield-Kingmoor flasks, whilst waiting for my 156 home.

As I sat waiting, I pondered over my notes from the last coupe of days, before I left I'd hoped to tie up a few loose ends, however on that front I'd failed, I'd never got the rest of them damn bouncing bombs cleared but now only 2 remain, I roped in 1 of the 2 Northern 323s I was after. The 90 at CE was frustrating but the karma with the chav, more than made up for that. I did make inroads on other classes, which also. more than made up for things. I was still happy with my lot, I was snapped out of my pondering by the incoming 88 on the Tesco Modal, when I saw it, I just laughed out loud, 88002, meaning that I've now cleared the 10 for sight. Not long after 88002 departed my chariot to Newcastle arrived, dud 156490, I'd have been extremely lucky to get a winner 156, although not impossible, I thought this would be the one that snookered the winning run but just the one and only dud for haulage, I have to be happy with that. I had 15mins before departure, so hung round on the platform, looking Westwards awaiting the flasks, sure as eggs is eggs in it rolled, the headlights are unmissable in the distant darkness, would I be lucky and rope 1 more in?, no, was the answer, as I watched 68023 & 68002 trundle out of sight, I hopped on 156490, got a table seat and got comfy, after Wetheral, the grip arrived to check tickets and shortly after Brampton, I zonked out and woke up as we were leaving Wylam. I gathered up my belongings and sat out the rest of the journey, before deciding to count up how many cops I'd actually got, I was stunned to find 65 new sightings, mind you 34 of them were Manchester's Trams, 5 coaching stock, 5 track machines, 3 locos and 17 units, not a bad haul, add in 12 new haulages out of 13, of which 2 of those were winners for everything. not a bad trip at all.

Many thanks for the kind words too guys, very much appreciated.

Last edited:

alexf380

Established Member
Been catching up with this thread over the past few days and it sounds like a hellfire time down south Mickey! Good to see that things are still ticking over nicely and some cops are still being made.

Established Member
Another productive day :)

Congrats on clearing the Electrocats for sight as well
Thanks kite. 2 enjoyable days and a few gaps filled in the book of sights too.
Been catching up with this thread over the past few days and it sounds like a hellfire time down south Mickey! Good to see that things are still ticking over nicely and some cops are still being made.
Cheers Alex. Yeah I tend to go where it suits the book of sights these days.

Many thanks for the kind words lads.

noddy1878

Established Member
Ahh! Someone else who needs 90033 for sight! It's my last one! It's hidden in there somewhere! I was on a tour a few years ago that passed through the depot and I saw every 90 in there except two with that being one of them!! I have resigned myself to not clearing the 90s for sight after that!

xotGD

Established Member
"Battered sausage, chips and curry sauce plus a bottle of diet coke."

Ah, the low calorie option!

Established Member
Ahh! Someone else who needs 90033 for sight! It's my last one! It's hidden in there somewhere! I was on a tour a few years ago that passed through the depot and I saw every 90 in there except two with that being one of them!! I have resigned myself to not clearing the 90s for sight after that!

Yeah I'd seen it, first time round but then it got renumbered to 90133, then back to 90033, unfortunately by my rules, it's now required.

"Battered sausage, chips and curry sauce plus a bottle of diet coke."

Ah, the low calorie option!

:lol: It wasn't the low calorie option but I just prefer it to normal coke.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent report sir. Mrs C and I had a good old chuckle at the flying chav cyclist.
Nice to see some good old locomotive photos too.

Established Member
Well, those reports were worth waiting for :)
Congratulations on clearing the 88s, I've only seen half of them so far.

433N

Great report , although missing your musical selections for the trip ... always intrigued to know what other music New Model Army family like. :)

Established Member
Excellent report sir. Mrs C and I had a good old chuckle at the flying chav cyclist.
Nice to see some good old locomotive photos too.

Many thanks for the kind words Nick. Glad you n Mrs C laughed cos I nigh on p!#$ed myself laughing at the dozey swine.

Thanks for the kind words 55013 much appreciated. Yeah clicking off those Clockwork Cats was a bonus, I'd only seen 88003 at the SVR Gala last year, then by the turn of this year, 88003 was still the only 1 I had. So to knock em off on 3 visits over the West Coast was pleasing.

433N thanks for your kind words too. Sorry no musical references. With The Wonderstuff n Neds Atomic Dustbin touring together, I've been mainly catching up on the Stuffies songs quite a bit. Placebo kept me company whilst on the way up to chester, with 67016. Never fear though NMA are always on the playlist. I will dedicate Vengance to that Chav.

Kristofferson

Just caught up with this - cracking read LSG, you really bring these trips and memories to life!

Thanks for reminding me that I’ve never had a 37, and that the opportunity for a day on the rails round these parts is very limited (hence my absence from the forum)! :(

That chav lad certainly got his comeuppance - would have been a YouTube hit!

Established Member
Just caught up with this - cracking read LSG, you really bring these trips and memories to life!

Thanks for reminding me that I’ve never had a 37, and that the opportunity for a day on the rails round these parts is very limited (hence my absence from the forum)! :(

That chav lad certainly got his comeuppance - would have been a YouTube hit!

Thanks Kris for your, kind words. Yeah I'm trying to catch up too. Kites especially. I've left it to the point it'd be quicker reading the bible but I'm plugging away but there's more fine trip.reports within too.

I dunno why folk seem to ridicule us for what's just a hobby but that chav was just being an a-hole, he didnt deserve to go viral but it was bloody funny.

A trip to the lakes with Mrs Kris seems a viable option to get some miles behind a 37 Kris.plus with one turn being cat hauled, maybe a chance to get the old and the new in.. I can't see it being long before I drag my butt over there too, to be honest.

Established Member
#LSGsBeastsontheEast
5/7/18

Shock horror, I’m out on the rails. Seems like moons ago since I was out n about, a staggering 4 months it’s been, if truth be told, Move Envy has nigh on killed me, reading many of other folks trip reports. Mind you, it wasn’t for the want of trying. I’d wanted to do the SVR’s Diesel Gala, unfortunately work kyboshed those plans, due to a double booking of holidays, my work colleague had them in first and seen as he was off on a Scuba Diving holiday in Thailand, I didn’t contest it.
Fortunately I’d booked no advances or digs, so it cost me nothing, it was a bit of a gutter I couldn’t go, the videos on YouTube, cut like a knife, the first video I saw on YouTube, was the double headed Warships leaving Highley, least that’s where I think it was. What a noise they made, as the song went, the first cut was the deepest. I told myself, if you don’t work, you don’t get the money to do any moves, no point being bitter. Well maybe a tad.
I also tried to make plans to get a part ride on the Scarborough Spa Express, when I heard you could get such a thing, a mere 48hrs before 70811 and 70805 were to partake on the Diesel leg and when 33207 and 47804, were to do similar, my attempts to get said days off, were thwarted by needing to go on a mandatory 4 day course and lack of cover for 33/47 move. I’d also have loved to partake in the Lakes Loco hauled jolly but that bit the dust too.
So with missing out the SVR, I looked for another gala to attend, the KWVR Diesel Running day looked a good one to attend, however that weekend was booked for me, I had stuff to do with my daughter, I’d made a pinky promise, my daughters equivalent to a binding contract, to take her to The Hopping’s(an annual fun fair that comes to Newcastle) and the night before we were off to a Kayliegh, for a charity night, a close friend of mine had organised it, so a lot of the lads, other halves and our kids agreed to go, as its a charity very close to his heart. A great night it was too and my daughter and I had a whale of a time, quite literally, at the fun fair too.
I perused the rest of the Preserved Railway web sites to see who was having a Gala I could get to. After no time at all, I found one, that would fit the bill. The ELR Summer Diesel Spectacular, it fit in with all the time scales, their roster of locos ticked a few boxes too. D1501, 47402 Gateshead, in my money, was a major draw, I’ve been meaning to get there to see it for yonks, as I want to catch up with 47401 North Eastern at Butterley. I can’t help thinking, how nice it’ll be to catch up and ride behind one of GD’s stalwarts again. I like what I saw on the roster, with guests to be confirmed. 40012 and 37109, will evoke memories for sure. As will riding behind the 25, it must be close to 30 years, yes folks, 30 years! since I had a rat for haulage. Unfortunately 2 locos on my bucket list the Hymek and Warship are out the gala, which is a great shame for me and no doubt, doubly so, for their owners, who probably are working any of their spare time to rectify the problems. However another Rat, 33103 and 47765 are at the gala too. 2 47s, talk about froth, hence the hashtag. I’m hoping for double headed 47s. 25s and 33s, now that would be incredible. Needless to say, I booked as soon as tickets became available and advance tickets sourced, with digs found soon after.
Onto Today
It’s now 07. 00, I’ve been up since 04.30, I’m on the North end of Platform 3 & 4 at Newcastle, the thunderbird is 67014, I’m hoping to bump into to my last 2 LNER(the new one) Mark 4 coaches for sight, alas folks don’t hold your breath on them appearing. Whilst awaiting my train outta Toon, be nice to see what GB Sheds on the 4N82, Lynemouth-Tyne Dock, if it runs of course. A very much required for sight, 66783 had been floating round on it, however I’m not even sure its still in the North East. Maybe even get to see the Colas 60 on the Oxwellmains – Seaham cement working, that would add a splash of colour to proceedings. Unfortunately I just missed the Lynemouth working and the Cement train to Seaham ain’t running.
So what’s the plan, well I’m going to Manchester the long way round. Taking the 07.40, 1V50 XC HST to York, then TPE to Leeds, before bailing onto a Northern 158 or 150 via Barnsley to Sheffield, mainly to see if I can rope in any cops from the Freightliner 70s that are parked up in a huge conga line at Midland Road. So I`ll cross my fingers and hope. Hopefully at Sheffield, I may rope in one of the 2 Meridians I need for sight and quick pop out to the tram stop for a ciggy and if lucks with me, I may pick up 1 or 2 of them too. Before jumping on the EMTs 158s to Man Picc, where the hunt begin, for those 2 irritating and errant bouncing bombs(142’s), 323225 and any of the 9 NH 150s for the book of sights will begin. Ofcourse I’ll meander elsewhere too and for once I won’t ignore Man Vic on this trip either, where Manchester trams, should see big gains to the book of sights.
The trip starts with the 07.40 1V50 XC zing to York, dud 43321 leads, rear gunner and winner 43207, which only leaves 43386 to find to clear the XC Zings for haulage. That’s as good as it got, there’s nothing on Tyne Yard but a lone 325, its heartbreaking how desperate my local is nowadays, I have so many fond memories off the place, as a young kid I spent, hour upon hour there, the place is dying on its arse, which is very sad to see.
Darlo offered a tamper needed for sight. Two kettles basking outside in the sun at the NRM, 60103 Bulging Moneypit and 35018, the Bullied, think that's what they're called, was smoking in readiness for Scarborough Spa Express, dutiful 09017 was watching over it, in case it set fire to something. On the station, 37401 is still residing in the Parcel Bay and in this heat, don’t be surprised if the large logo livery resembles the colour of one of West Coasts before the weeks out.
After half an hour in York, TPE wheel out dud 185127 on the 09.22 to Manchester Airport, to take me as far as Leeds, its rammed, totally rammed. As we pass Holgate sidings, there’s actually a loco in, 66597, is stood with a rake of coal wagons, bad news is the test train and the 37 on it, is hidden out of sight behind the coal wagons.
Passing Neville Hill their 2 EMT liveried gronks 08690 and 08908 are coupled together, other than that there’s not really much to see there either. I don’t have long at Leeds to see much, so I skidaddle over to Platform 14 for the 10.04 to Nottingham, we’re winner 158842 awaits to take me past Midland Road and onto Sheffield. It was more in hope, that I’d score some of those 70s. I was primed with my dictaphone as we approached but by jesus, I thought I’d maybe get a couple, imagine the delight when I saw this lot, 70013, 70016, 70018. 70001, 70010, 70006, 70017, 70004. 70002, 70003, 70020, 70005. 70019. 70009 the cops in red, made the decision to go the long way, to Man Picc, very profitable for the book of sights. At the time I knew I'd copped a few but 9!!. I'd like to think its reward for standing on stations, where they were commonly seen and they never ever turned up for me. Safe to say, my freightliner 70s now look healthy, with only a few needed for sight.
I bailed 158842 at Sheffield and after a quick reccy, I made for the tram stop, whilst having a ciggy, I'm quietly hopeful but I'm also being cooked alive in the heat and wish I'd actually travelled in my shorts.

In the short time I had at the tram stop I'm rewarded with 101, 105, 119 and 121 for the book of sights. Happy with my lot I walk back down onto the platforms and I'm greeted by 66765, 1 more up and it would've been a cop too. Close but no cigar
IMG_20180705_111718.jpg

I stood and waited for the 11.41 to arrive, to take me forward in hope of a couple of winner EMT 158's. As it pulled towards me, straight away, I noticed the leading 158, 158810 was a dud but there was a 156 attached to the back, not just any 156 either, 156403 was a winner for everything, my penultimate 156 had landed right in my lap, needless to say, my joy was unbridled, 156403 was the unit I sat in. It leaves just 156411 to find, to clear the 156s. As we set off, a meridian was pulling in., I had my eyes peeled to see the number on the back end, my eyes nearly fell out and rolled across the table onto the floor when I saw it was 222023 my penultimate meridian too. Jesus h Christ, that leaves 222013 to find and they're cleared too.
Grinning like a Cheshire cat, I settled down, got the earphones out the bag and settled back listening to the Wonderstuff, Neds Atomic Dustbin and Carter USM, till we hit the outskirts of Man Picc.

To be continued

Last edited:

Established Member
A good start, I'm looking forward to the rest.
That line of 70s is a sight to behold, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.