• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Strikes 4th/6th October - confirmed suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoMouse

I'm hearing rumours that the strikes scheduled for tomorrow and Friday could be suspended, anybody heard anything concrete? Would a suspension this late allow a full service tomorrow?

If the strike do go ahead I assume it'd be a total shutdown like the last ones?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lonogrol

What kind of service can be run with no station staff?
Historically- even with a full {not just stations} R.M.T walkout you could run a largely comprehensive service.

Even as recently as 2014, on an RMT strike day you could expect to see the Bakerloo running Queens Pk to Elephant - the Central running west of White City and East of Leytonstone - the District running except not to Richmond or Edgware Rd - the H&C running on the Hammersmith Branch - the Jubilee and Northern running entire line - and the Met running south of Harrow - with the Picc, Circle & W&C fully suspended (although the Picc did once run to Heathrow from Acton). This would be accompanied by a large number of zone 1 and 2 stations being closed.

This service could easily be sustained from maybe 730a.m until maybe even 10p.m.

These days I would expect a much more limited service with almost nothing running in Central London (you may see the Central line to Liv St if you’re lucky), and this would be from maybe 8a.m until 6p.m.

PsychoMouse

Historically- even with a full {not just stations} R.M.T walkout you could run a largely comprehensive service.

Even as recently as 2014, on an RMT strike day you could expect to see the Bakerloo running Queens Pk to Elephant - the Central running west of White City and East of Leytonstone - the District running except not to Richmond or Edgware Rd - the H&C running on the Hammersmith Branch - the Jubilee and Northern running entire line - and the Met running south of Harrow - with the Picc, Circle & W&C fully suspended (although the Picc did once run to Heathrow from Acton). This would be accompanied by a large number of zone 1 and 2 stations being closed.

This service could easily be sustained from maybe 730a.m until maybe even 10p.m.

These days I would expect a much more limited service with almost nothing running in Central London (you may see the Central line to Liv St if you’re lucky), and this would be from maybe 8a.m until 6p.m.

Brill thanks for that.

Mikey C

Established Member
I remember previous "non driver" strike days where the Northern Line operated along the entire line, but all the stations served by lifts were closed, resulting in my journey into work on the Northern Line being much faster, as it sailed through Hampstead, Belsize Park, Chalk Farm, Mornington Crescent and Goodge Street non stop.

It was just like those 1930s plans for an express Northern Line :D

87 027

I see the Lizzie Line will still be running but what about being able to enter/exit central London stations such as Tottenham Court Road?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I see the Lizzie Line will still be running but what about being able to enter/exit central London stations such as Tottenham Court Road?

The aim is to likely have those stations open managed by London Underground, but could be closed at short notice.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yep strikes have been postponed/cancelled.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Station strikes are cancelled - including the local area strikes on the Met and the overtime ban towards the end of the month.

Indeed, the stations ‘element’ of the ongoing jobs, pensions and conditions dispute is now considered resolved. That’s not to say that station staff won’t strike again, but it will likely be alongside all other LU staff as part of the wider dispute.

There is also likely to be a ballot over pay in the future.

Part of the reason that RMT strikes previously were able to see larger services running was often due to service control being outside of the balloted staff. More recent ballots have seen service control included - no service control = no service.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I am sure details of the resolution will be shared publicly in due course, although I don’t feel comfortable doing so (I only have it privately/internally at the moment).

My colleagues on stations tell me it isn’t everything they wanted nor a perfect outcome, but it does represent significant steps forward in other areas.

JD2168

From reading the news outlets the conciliatory service ACAS has been involved & has helped to come up with an agreement that is satisfactory to both sides of the dispute.

kw12

From reading the news outlets the conciliatory service ACAS has been involved & has helped to come up with an agreement that is satisfactory to both sides of the dispute.

It is understood that a deal that has been struck that will save about 200 posts - effectively meaning that between 300 and 400 vacant staff posts will not be filled, rather than between 500 to 600 as originally feared.

No Tube worker will lose their job or be required to work additional hours under the changes, which will allow TfL to deploy staff “more flexibly” to a wider number of stations.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Obviously I'm just a passenger and don't understand it all fully but I don't think this quite goes far enough, based on conversations I've had with station staff which is something I do frequently as every time I use the tube I require assistance

winks

Nothing on pensions. So expect a further dispute with Khan/ Labour govt next year.

Mawkie

Nothing on pensions. So expect a further dispute with Khan/ Labour govt next year.
The pensions dispute is ongoing, with a live mandate if I recall conorrectly. No further movement from DfT recently, so no immediate threat.

More pay talks next week, so I suspect pay will form the basis of the next strike action (If any) if there isn't an improved offer.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
The pensions dispute is ongoing, with a live mandate if I recall conorrectly. No further movement from DfT recently, so no immediate threat.

More pay talks next week, so I suspect pay will form the basis of the next strike action (If any) if there isn't an improved offer.
Pensions dispute remains live but don’t expect any further action until more clarity appears around what any reform might be - that’s due mid-2024.

Any action over pay would require a declaration of dispute and subsequent ballot. We’re a long way from that as things stand.

There never was going to be - whilst part of the wider dispute, this week’s action - and as such negotiations - were only ever about station side issues.

lonogrol

Part of the reason that RMT strikes previously were able to see larger services running was often due to service control being outside of the balloted staff. More recent ballots have seen service control included - no service control = no service.
R.M.T have historically balloted all of their members on L.U.L contracts even those within service control. The 2014 strikes into Fit For The Future which are the ones what I referred to for the service pattern in my post above included all grades represented by R.M.T.

This time round the strikes which only would have involved station staff would have been much more disruptive than those involving all grades which took place in 2010 {for O.S.P} and 2014 {for Fit For The Future.}

The reasons I believe for strikes now being more disruptive than in the past is:
1. Duty station managers and a number of revenue control inspectors used to cover for station supervisors and allow sub-surface, formerly known as section12, stations. D.S.Ms no longer exist, and the number of revenue staff with supervisor licenses has diminished, plus revenue has lost a number of T.S.S.A members in favour of R.M.T
2. Fewer non-operational staff having incident station supervisor licenses due to people leaving the organisation
3. Cross-rail stations are prioritised to be kept open and these have huge minimum numbers. For instance Farringdon is now prioritised over King's Cross.
4. Since lockdown, Greater ability for office based staff outside of operations to work from home meaning they are less likely to "volunteer" to cover as a licensed ambassador
5. Fewer people holding licenses for Emergency service operators or whatever they were called, even accounting for the fact there are fewer signal cabins

Status
Not open for further replies.