• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LUAS trams destroyed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towers

Established Member
I don’t claim to know anything at all about them, but I gather from news reports that the mobs running riot across Dublin yesterday have damaged one or more of LUAS’ tramcars by setting them ablaze. I presume the system may have to seek replacements?

Images seem limited so far, but there is video footage of one sadly well alight. Three buses were also reportedly destroyed.

Link below to a BBC article which includes an image showing a partially burnt out LUAS tram, behind the skeletal remains of a burnt out Dublin bus being recovered in the foreground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
Hopefully they can identify who did it and bill them for the costs.

The tracks will need to be looked at in case it's warped out of gauge, similar thing happened in Croydon during the August 2011 riots the Reeves furniture store burned down and the heat damaged the tracks.

Towers

Established Member
Hopefully they can identify who did it and bill them for the costs.

The tracks will need to be looked at in case it's warped out of gauge, similar thing happened in Croydon during the August 2011 riots the Reeves furniture store burned down and the heat damaged the tracks.
And doubtless the overheads too.

dubscottie

Even if it is fixable, it won't happen anytime soon. Luas have been very slow to fix trams that have been seriously damaged in the past.
This may be because they are required for evidence in future court proceedings but I am not sure.
Most of the damage was caused by the bus that was set alight next to it. It appears the materials used inside are very fire resistant!

WatcherZero

Established Member
It survived better than the double decker bus (foreground) which is just a pile of ash, but at least two of the modules are probably a write off as their structural integrity would be questionable despite minimal internal damage (look over the shoulder of the guy facing the camera and you can see where the structure has buckled outwards, also the panel beam above the door has twisted in a manner suggestive that the monocoque beneath may have distorted in shape).

IRISH%20Ch%20%28107%29.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000861692299.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.