• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ludgate Line naming origins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skoodle

Something I've always wondered whilst driving over it on a near daily basis, is where does the Ludgate Line get its name when it's clearly no where near Ludgate? Looking at old maps I've been able to see that Longhedge Junction gets its name from Longhedge House which was nearby, but Ludgate....I just can't work it out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
It was the line that took you towards Ludgate (eventually).

A bit like the Poplar Lines at Acton.

Veteran Member
It was the line that took you towards Ludgate (eventually).
And Ludgate Hill is where the passenger service went to (pre-1917 or so! - don't say the railway doesn't chsnge with the times :) ). At least it's distinctive.

Signal Head

Originally built (1860s) by the LSWR to gain access to Ludgate Hill station, better placed for 'the City than their main terminus at Waterloo, so the naming is from the perspective of the LSWR at Clapham Junction.

This route came about as a result of an agreement between the LSWR and LCDR, the latter company owned the lines through Blackfriars and on to Ludgate.

AM9

Veteran Member
I remember that a recent one of Jago Hazzard's informative YouTube videos was on the subject of the Blackfriars, Ludgate Hill and Holborn Viaduct line. A search for 'Blackfriars: A Complicated Station' will find this video.

Status
Not open for further replies.