• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lugagge on train

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbet

Hello!

I'm sorry If this is a stupid question or if it was answered before. I tried to search, but I found nothing.

Well. Next May I'm going to the UK and I'll be doing a couple of trips by train with all my lugagge. It consist on a rucksack of normal size (the one you use everyday, I use it to take my laptop to my work) and a bag with a size of 66cmx39cmx39cm.

This is my first time on a train so I wanted to know where I should/could put my bag during the trip.

If you have any other tips, everything is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Bettina

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On all trains in the UK you will find overhead luggage racks for your smaller items and possibly your larger bag, however long distance "intercity" and some local trains will have larger racks within each coach should you wish to store the larger bag there.

Always remember the etiquette when travelling with luggage is that people get seats before bags do, so try to avoid placing them on a seat (unless the train is very quiet and it wouldn't inconvenience anyone).

Perhaps you could post the journey you are planning on making (I.e. London to Edinburgh) so that we can give you advice on the specific types of train you will be using?

Anyway welcome to the UK and I hope you enjoy your visit!

me123

Established Member
Hi Bettina

As above, most if not all trains have overhead luggage racks. In my experience, anything that would be acceptable hand luggage on an airline will fit the overhead rack. You bag is a bit larger than this, however it may well fit. Longer distance trains have larger luggage racks that, if they are available on your train, should definitely fit your larger bag if the overhead rack is too small.

I wouldn't get too worried - what you're looking to take onboard is perfectly reasonable and should not cause any problems!

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's worth noting that whilst heeding to the above (and potentially below) advice, the British Transport Police have some general advice for people travelling with luggage, see: The Tactics.

TP

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Also, many trains have space in between back-to-back seats that can be suitable for surprisingly large luggage (that I find people seldom think to use). Easier than lifting up to a ceiling rack, and easier to keep an eye on than putting it somewhere at the end of the carriage.

superbet

It's worth noting that whilst heeding to the above (and potentially below) advice, the British Transport Police have some general advice for people travelling with luggage, see: The Tactics.

TP

Good tips everyone and thanks for this link!

I hope my bag fits on the overhead luggage racks because I don't like the idea of leaving my bag away from me. It's a a 15kg bag. Do you think it's too heavy for the overhead rack?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On all trains in the UK you will find overhead luggage racks for your smaller items and possibly your larger bag, however long distance "intercity" and some local trains will have larger racks within each coach should you wish to store the larger bag there.

Always remember the etiquette when travelling with luggage is that people get seats before bags do, so try to avoid placing them on a seat (unless the train is very quiet and it wouldn't inconvenience anyone).

Perhaps you could post the journey you are planning on making (I.e. London to Edinburgh) so that we can give you advice on the specific types of train you will be using?

Anyway welcome to the UK and I hope you enjoy your visit!

My journeys are:

Dublin to Belfast
Edinburgh to Liverpool
Liverpool to London

What do you mean with "people get seats before bags do"?

Thanks!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi, it may be worth mentioning that Virgin Trains who you are perhaps travelling with from Edinburgh, and most likely from Liverpool to London offer a door to door baggage collection & delivery service, it's called Bag Magic and I think they charge £12.99 one way, check out their website for full details.

deltic1989

Established Member
One of the biggest moans on public transport in the UK, is things being placed on vacant seats. Whilst not a problem on quiet services, with few people aboard. It can be extremely irritating on a busy service to spy what you think is a free seat, only to find that someone has placed their bag on it.
People should be given priority to seats before bags. If you board a quiet service and put your bag on the seat, and the service happens to become busy, its considered polite to move your bag to the rack or the floor to free up the seat for someone to sit down.

Its my experience that the overhead luggage racks can support quite a weight. I've put bags of up to 30kg in them without an issue. I have also known a man to fit in the overhead racks.

superbet

Hi, it may be worth mentioning that Virgin Trains who you are perhaps travelling with from Edinburgh, and most likely from Liverpool to London offer a door to door baggage collection & delivery service, it's called Bag Magic and I think they charge £12.99 one way, check out their website for full details.

Thanks! I'll check it! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One of the biggest moans on public transport in the UK, is things being placed on vacant seats. Whilst not a problem on quiet services, with few people aboard. It can be extremely irritating on a busy service to spy what you think is a free seat, only to find that someone has placed their bag on it.
People should be given priority to seats before bags. If you board a quiet service and put your bag on the seat, and the service happens to become busy, its considered polite to move your bag to the rack or the floor to free up the seat for someone to sit down.

Its my experience that the overhead luggage racks can support quite a weight. I've put bags of up to 30kg in them without an issue. I have also known a man to fit in the overhead racks.

Oh.. I understand now! Yes, that's rude.

Thanks!!!

theironroad

Established Member
Don't fall into a trap and think that because there is a bag on a seat you can't ask the owner to move it. Unforttunateky, there are people who deliberately put bags on adjacent seats to stop deter people from sitting in them. Alas there are some passengers who will stand rather than ask the owner to remove the offending bag, not that it is the fault of the bag, just its inconsiderate owner.

So, if there is a seat you want to sit in, either glare the owner into shame by staring at the bag and seat and indicating they move it, sit on it or be faux polite and pointlessly ask if anyone is sitting there, when clearly no-one is, well maybe 1% of the time off is someone else's bag and they've gone to the toilet or buffet.

Anyway, a 15kg pack will more than likely fit in the overhead rack, many take far bigger cases than they first appear to. Enjoy UK train travel, 99% of the time it really is the best way to travel.

Last edited:

superbet

Don't fall into a trap and think that because there is a bag on a seat you can't ask the owner to move it. Unforttunateky, there are people who deliberately put bags on adjacent seats to stop deter people from sitting in them. Alas there are some passengers who will stand rather than ask the owner to remove the offending bag, not that it is the fault of the bag, just its inconsiderate owner.

So, if there is a seat you want to sit in, either glare the owner into shame by staring at the bag and seat and indicating they move it, sit on it or be faux polite and pointlessly ask if anyone is sitting there, when clearly no-one is, well maybe 1% of the time off is someone else's bag and they've gone to the toilet or buffet.

Anyway, a 15kg pack will more than likely fit in the overhead rack, many take far bigger cases than they first appear to. Enjoy UK train travel, 99% of the time it really is the best way to travel.

;) Thanks!

I'm going to reserve seats for those trips, but in others, when I'm not dragging my bags, I won't. How do you know if the seat is reserved or not? What happens if there's no free seats, you have to wait for the next train?

Established Member
Let us know which operator and time of day you're travelling on between Edinburgh and Liverpool and we'll be able to advise on how the reservations work. There are no direct trains between Edinburgh and Liverpool, you'll most likely need to change at Wigan.

Liverpool to Euston will be with Virgin. Reservations will be an electronic scrolling display above the seat. If you're travelling at a less busy time of day then you'll be able to move to wherever in the train suits, but again we'll be able to advise if you can give us some more detail.

I make journeys on both routes regularly so happy to help with any more detail you may need.

superbet

Let us know which operator and time of day you're travelling on between Edinburgh and Liverpool and we'll be able to advise on how the reservations work. There are no direct trains between Edinburgh and Liverpool, you'll most likely need to change at Wigan.

Liverpool to Euston will be with Virgin. Reservations will be an electronic scrolling display above the seat. If you're travelling at a less busy time of day then you'll be able to move to wherever in the train suits, but again we'll be able to advise if you can give us some more detail.

I make journeys on both routes regularly so happy to help with any more detail you may need.

Ok! I'll come back when I have the information.

What are the peak hours in the morning? I want to avoid those hours when I'm with the bags.

Thanks a lot guys! You are amazing!!!

pt15sb

;) Thanks!

I'm going to reserve seats for those trips, but in others, when I'm not dragging my bags, I won't. How do you know if the seat is reserved or not? What happens if there's no free seats, you have to wait for the next train?

Most trains have a little paper card in the headrest or a digital display above the seat indicating when a seat is reserved.

ScouserGirl

Hello,

I've seen from previous posts your journey details the train from Liverpool to London is with Virgin and you will find overhead luggage racks where you can place your stuff (: and I hope you have a safe journey!

Traveller54

I don't know where you're from Bettina but my experience of trains in France and Italy is that the overhead racks take larger cases than British trains, in particular Cross Country trains' racks seem particularly close to the ceiling and I could not fit a small airline cabin size case on it.

Enjoy your visit!

deltic1989

Established Member
;) Thanks!

As mentioned different companies mark reservations differently.
On most modern trains there is a little digital display above the seats, in most cases indicating simply; Reserved or Not Reserved.
On older stock there will usually be a little paper card in a slot in the headrest, this will state Reserved from: A Station, To: B Station. If you know that the train has passed B then it is usually ok to sit there.

If there are no free seats on a train you always have the option to stand, however if the train is packed to the rafters you also have the option to wait for the next one. Beware though on some lines you could be waiting a fair old while, and refreshments on stations don't tend to be cheap.

If you have pre-booked your journey 9 times out of 10 your booking will tie you down to one specific train, at a specific time. If you happen to get on the wrong one you could run into problems. So make sure you arrive at the station 30 - 45 mins before your booked departure to ensure you find the right train.
If ever you happen to find yourself completely lost, I have always found that staff at stations are always happy to help you, if the one you ask can't help then they will know who can.

The most important things to remember are, plan ahead, allow yourself plenty of time, and when in doubt never be afraid to ask someone.

I wish you a pleasant visit :D

R4_GRN

If you are worried about your bag getting stolen do what I do and buy a padlock as sold for bicycles lock bag to rack then you do not have to worry about it at every stop, simplees!
It may reduce the number of bags that the rack can hold but if you put bag at end it will not inconvenience other passengers and it gives you peace of mind.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
From my experience, the VT pendo racks can't even hold a tiny (and I mean tiny) rucksack. The ones in coach C could only just fit a coat on although they do have the larger ones which will fit them. But most importantly, have a great trip! :D

ScouserGirl

From my experience, the VT pendo racks can't even hold a tiny (and I mean tiny) rucksack. The ones in coach C could only just fit a coat on although they do have the larger ones which will fit them. But most importantly, have a great trip! :D

I've managed to get my suitcases into the pendo racks no problem...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you are worried about your bag getting stolen do what I do and buy a padlock as sold for bicycles lock bag to rack then you do not have to worry about it at every stop, simplees!
It may reduce the number of bags that the rack can hold but if you put bag at end it will not inconvenience other passengers and it gives you peace of mind.

no one is going to steal your bag.

I have made what must be gazillions of train journeys in the UK and never known a bag stolen. The criminals are after devices, computers, phones, wallets etc as they are much easier to steal and have a greater value that can be easily realised.

Even the on train theft is fairly low

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
"As mentioned different companies mark reservations differently.
On most modern trains there is a little digital display above the seats, in most cases indicating simply; Reserved or Not Reserved.
On older stock there will usually be a little paper card in a slot in the headrest, this will state Reserved from: A Station, To: B Station. If you know that the train has passed B then it is usually ok to sit there."

This might be obvious, but it's also okay to sit in a seat that's reserved for the portion of a journey after you've got off.

If you're travelling from (say) Cardiff to Newport, and the seat is reserved from (say) Newport to Bristol Parkway, that's okay. I'm sure that a lot of people don't actually look at the portion for which the seat is reserved, just see the ticket and think "I can't sit there" - when they can! So, always look at the ticket!

superbet

Thanks for all the info guys!

What are the peak hours in the morning? I want to avoid those hours when I'm with the bags. Departing from Edinburgh, Liverpool and, if you have info, Belfast.

You are amazing! Thanks for all the tips! :D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Peak hours vary and the railway peak hours are much wider than you might expect.

In general the peak hours are the rush hours periods of 7-9am and 4-6pm while the railway peak (and each operator is different as they use this period to ramp up fares as demand is highest!) could be 0400-1030 and 1500-1930

Someone else will be able to give you the SP on your particular journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.