• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luggage in Cycle Rack Spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Secondly, lock shut the bike area until someone with a bike gets on

Not allowed to lock them, there's no smoke detector in the bay so there is a risk a fire could develop unnoticed within the bike area....

Make of that what you like.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Even without the issue of people putting luggage in it, the bike spaces in IETs are an issue because a lot of bikes won't fit on the hooks. As such they can't be hung up, but the compartments aren't long enough for them to fully fit in with both wheels on the ground, so they end up sticking out and causing an obstruction

The way cycles and luggage are handled on IETs just needs a complete rethink in my opinion.
The people who spec'd hooks for the bike compartments clearly aren't cyclists. They're always a bad idea.

Mogz

The 397’s solve this quite nicely with a huge luggage/cycle compartment at one end.

Ditto the Pendolinos (if they bother to use them still?)

Pity the IET is so poorly specified when it comes to bike and heavy luggage storage.

pinkmarie80

I was travelling back from London on Tuesday afternoon and I had a massive, bulky case. The luggage spaces on the EMR Meridians are so small that there really wasn’t anywhere else I could leave it but the bike area.
I was going to Leicester though so in the unlikely event two bikes had got on at Market Harborough I would have happily stood with my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.