• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
I looked recently at Lumo fares, from Kings Cross to Edinburgh, out of interest, and looking at possible cheapish day out, and they seem to have got high now, with some fares £111.00 one way, even 100 single, on 05.45am Lumo.

I remember doing Lumo for £ 14.00 special launch offer and even under 30, normal mid week, and suppose to be no more than £60.00 single, So why the Lumo fares so much now, as supposed to be cheap no frills offering and fares to match?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So why the Lumo fares so much now, as supposed to be cheap no frills offering and fares to match?.
It makes no sense to charge £14 when the trains are extremely busy and there is a high level of demand.

I looked at the 0545 (fares checked using Trainsplit) for a few random days and found the following fares:

01/11 £56.90
03/11 £54.90
09/11 £47.90

That seems reasonable to me.

Darandio

Established Member
I remember doing Lumo for £ 14.00 special launch offer and even under 30, normal mid week, and suppose to be no more than £60.00 single,

The cap was stated as £69. I've looked at multiple dates and cannot see any ticket that exceeds that, even tomorrow.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I don't think Lumo ever charge more than £72 for a single.

The cap was stated as £69. I've looked at multiple dates and cannot see any ticket that exceeds that, even tomorrow.
I think that was the cap until March 2021. Even so it has only gone up by £3.

cambsy

On Moderation
I mistook their return fare, as single fare on 12th Nov, which was £111.00 on 10.25 am, and 15.25 pm back, which not bad but definitely not low cost.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I mistook their return fare, as single fare on 12th Nov, which was £111.00 on 10.25 am, and 15.25 pm back, which not bad but definitely not low cost.
Indeed. It's still too expensive to meet the traditional definition of low cost. Sadly there's really not much of a solution because capacity is so scarce.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't think £111 is unreasonable for an 800 mile return trip, on what are clearly fairly busy trains. You could very easily pay more than that if you were flying.

cambsy

On Moderation
it’s not bad fares on Lumo, but for about 20 extra each way can get super/off peak return, which gives flexibility to a degree, so Lumo not that great now, certainly not low cost as used to be.

Starmill

Veteran Member
it’s not bad fares on Lumo, but for about 20 extra each way can get super/off peak return, which gives flexibility to a degree, so Lumo not that great now, certainly not low cost as used to be.
Buying the ticket on the day or the night before, and paying the LNER Super Off Peak Single price of £82.20, and then being able to take whichever train best suits your plans, is generally better value than paying a long time in advance for a non-refundable £55 - 65 Advance on a train that's less conveniently timed for your needs. If you can get an Advance for around £45 at just the right time you want to go, it's much more likely to be worth it. This is possible still on both Lumo and LNER.

cambsy

On Moderation
Starmill, get where your coming from, was just looking up fares, on Lumo, just in case was cheapish option for day out, instead of planned Thames Day Ranger and Travel Card, so for the price on Lumo, I’ll probably leave it, but likely another day, as good run and good day out if price right, have done few times, when price was cheapish.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Starmill, get where your coming from, was just looking up fares, on Lumo, just in case was cheapish option for day out, instead of planned Thames Day Ranger and Travel Card, so for the price on Lumo, I’ll probably leave it, but likely another day, as good run and good day out if price right, have done few times, when price was cheapish.
I can see what you mean yes. I'd advise not travelling in November or December on this route. 4th January onwards will be cheaper if you just want a few days of travel without a specific goal in mind.

cambsy

On Moderation
Starmill, I’d just be looking day out probably, and your right after Christmas and depth of Winter, be cheaper, as low demand in most things, after peeps have blown money over Christmas, only down side is more likely weather problems and delays.

mangyiscute

Established Member
For me the most useful lumo service is the 0545 from kings cross since it's in the peak Mon-Thurs so even the anytime fare is a big saving (although you have to hate sleep to catch it)

Status
Not open for further replies.