• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton Airport DART ticketing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Posted to YouTube on 26th March. I have not spotted a date when it was taken.
So not today. Which is when I looked at the very same barriers. The stickers may have been there 3 days ago but they are not there now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Saying "as of today..." in #111 would have saved several posts.
Pointing out that the contrary observations were several days ago might have helped too. I simply pointed out that they are not there, I didn't suggest they hadn't been.

Ediswan

Established Member
Pointing out that the contrary observations were several days ago might have helped too. I simply pointed out that they are not there, I didn't suggest they hadn't been.
OK ... did you see any signs today saying that contactless is accepted on DART ? (Your post #105 was in the context of NR gatelines.)

Haywain

Veteran Member
OK ... did you see any signs today saying that contactless is accepted on DART ? (Your post #105 was in the context of NR gatelines.)
It wasn't, that’s just how you have chosen to read it. To be very clear, contactless payment is accepted on both NR and DART barriers at Luton Airport Parkway. That was the situation early this afternoon.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Is that the DART barriers or the GTR barriers? And when was the photo taken?

The stickers were applied to both the NR barriers (on that exit) and the DART barriers. They should never have been applied to the first ones.

anydroid

First time poster…
I would like to know if I can use contactless from St Albans Thameslink to the airport (DART terminus) by touching once once at each end? Or, do I need to touch out at Parkway before entering the DART system?

JaJaWa

Established Member
I would like to know if I can use contactless from St Albans Thameslink to the airport (DART terminus) by touching once once at each end? Or, do I need to touch out at Parkway before entering the DART system?

You pass through 2 gatelines (exiting National Rail, and entering DART) when changing at Luton Airport Parkway. No way of avoiding this.

Ediswan

Established Member
I had been waiting for contactless to be confirmed before paying Luton DART a visit. Today I got the bus over from Stevenage and tried the DART from Luton Parkway to the airport (just one way). The gatelines do indeed now have the familiar yellow 'contactless' logo, which worked. I did not spot any signs indicating the fare.

The ride was not rough, but definitely what I would call wobbly. It was a bit like standing on a large inflatable. Constantly making small movements front/back and left/right.

Even with relatively few passengers, there was a queue at the airport exit gateline, at least partially due to faffing. This is also visible on the previously linked video. I am wondering if people are under the impression that the entry gateline is job done and then put away whatever 'ticket' they used there.

My card account is currently showing a pending/uncleared transaction "Tfl Travel Charge +£0.00". I am familiar with the use of initial zero value authorisations, but was not expecting TfL. For clarity, the only gatelines I presented this card to today were DART.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
My card account is currently showing a pending/uncleared transaction "Tfl Travel Charge +£0.00". I am familiar with the use of initial zero value authorisations, but was not expecting TfL. For clarity, the only gatelines I presented this card to today were DART.
Through fares apply between DART and Thameslink/EMR towards London, so it makes sense to have TfL handling the "back office" functions just as they do for NR services between Luton Airport Parkway and London.

Ediswan

Established Member
Through fares apply between DART and Thameslink/EMR towards London, so it makes sense to have TfL handling the "back office" functions just as they do for NR services between Luton Airport Parkway and London.
That would make its own sort of sense.

mark-h

Through fares apply between DART and Thameslink/EMR towards London
If using contactless are the through fares from the airport the same as the fare from Parkway with an extra £4.90 added? If that is the case then the shuttle could use its own card processing for its fare with TFL charging for the journey starting/ending at the national rail barriers at Parkway.

The downside of this is that the shuttle would appear on the bank statement/ app notifications as a separate transaction rather than being hidden in the total fare.

Ediswan

Established Member
Depends how much they'd want to charge to look after it i suppose.
It does look like DART contactless payments are handled by TfL. My DART trip yesterday has now appeared in my TfL journey history. I have no idea how much of the fare goes to TfL.

DART.png

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It does look like DART contactless payments are handled by TfL. My DART trip yesterday has now appeared in my TfL journey history. I have no idea how much of the fare goes to TfL.

View attachment 132035
There will be a processing element for sure. That is likely to be a lot less than would be required to set up a standalone contactless system.

317 forever

Established Member
That's the pre-opening pricing which is the same as the bus. Interesting you can book tickets at that price for after the bus service has ended.
Indeed, on Monday I bought my 2 singles for my day in April for £2.40 each.

This is curious, as I just checked on https://www.lutondart.com/booking/payment for random days in the near future and is showing as £2.40 each way.
Yes, that is where I bought my £2.40 tickets rather than from a rail website. I am stopping off at the Airport on a bus trip in the area.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I saw that price myself early last week. As best as I can tell, it was 'fixed' very soon after.
Still working on Tuesday 28th March.

Got my ticket from the 'Travel Centre' in the terminal. The 'DART-specific' machines by the DART itself were barrered off.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpeg
    IMG_1447.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82

Joshua_Harman

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Are you sure that keyGo (PAYG) is valid on Luton DART ? The current keyGo map shows it as not valid.

Whilst it's not 100% conclusive without testing it, I'd suggest the existence of "Smart" Anytime Day Single (0AF) and Anytime Day Return (0AE) fares between Luton Airport Parkway and Luton Airport, as shown on BRFares, is a fairly good indicator that it's valid.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Just looked at a GTR TVM and can confirm I can buy an ITSO ticket from Luton Airport Pkwy to Luton Airport, but I can't buy a ticket from Burgess Hill to Luton Airport.

Not an indication of whether keyGo will work or not, though.

PXL_20230403_234703266.jpgPXL_20230403_234747889.jpg

MrJeeves

Established Member
Not an indication of whether keyGo will work or not, though.
Trying it on the way to Bletchley and can confirm keyGo works on the DART.

I haven't been charged for keyGo on the DART yet, and it's not showing in my journey history at all.

If you want a free ride on the DART, maybe that's your best choice!

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
Today I received this response, which came from 'London Luton Aiport':
Keygo is not currently active on the DART and this is something our partners at GTR are investigating.

I see @MrJeeves has updated their recent post to include more detail.

Conclusion: keyGo is intended to be available on the DART, but is currently experiencing some issues.

matt_world2004

Established Member
They should add it to the contactless system too given its a self contained one stop line accessible from a contextless enabled station

Status
Not open for further replies.