• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
1.12 miles at Gatwick North farthest gate to the terminal entrance. You also have to cross a taxiway, on two huge escalators.

I know, I've done it, repeatedly. It can only be 1.12miles if you happen to check in at the furthest desk from security, then take the longest zig-zag through the security queue, walk the long way round the duty free and departure lounge, and avoid the Travelators.

If you draw straight lines from the kerbside to the farthest gate via the piers, it's about 1000m, some of which has travelators. So the extra 750metres can only be the very worst case with extra pfaffing.

Meanwhile if you were to walk from the platform at Luton airport Parkway station to the front door of Luton airport terminal, via the shortest route on public rights of way, it's over a mile and a half.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You've never flown easyjet to Amsterdam then?

You land on the 5th runway (which is nearer to Haarlem than Amsterdam), taxi for about 20 minutes and then have to walk the longest distance I can remember.

Done Gatwick loads and never had a long walk

Sydney is much the same. All 3 times I've taken off from there we have taken off in a northerly direction. After about 10 minutes taxiing off the terminal, the plane stops, you think you're about to roll, and it then crosses the 34L runway before travelling the length of 34R. By the time you get to the end of that you feel like you're halfway to NZ. Overall almost 6km of taxiing.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At least you don't have to walk across from the Polderbaan :)

Also, Schiphol is one big terminal, so you don't need to factor in inter-terminal shuttle time or similar. Walking from one end to the other might take time, but it's inherently predictable time.

jayah

On Moderation
I know, I've done it, repeatedly. It can only be 1.12miles if you happen to check in at the furthest desk from security, then take the longest zig-zag through the security queue, walk the long way round the duty free and departure lounge, and avoid the Travelators.

If you draw straight lines from the kerbside to the farthest gate via the piers, it's about 1000m, some of which has travelators. So the extra 750metres can only be the very worst case with extra pfaffing.

Meanwhile if you were to walk from the platform at Luton airport Parkway station to the front door of Luton airport terminal, via the shortest route on public rights of way, it's over a mile and a half.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Sydney is much the same. All 3 times I've taken off from there we have taken off in a northerly direction. After about 10 minutes taxiing off the terminal, the plane stops, you think you're about to roll, and it then crosses the 34L runway before travelling the length of 34R. By the time you get to the end of that you feel like you're halfway to NZ. Overall almost 6km of taxiing.

As has been kindly linked 1.12m has been measured. Note that is terminal to gate including travelators not withstanding the considerable uncertainty over which gate we are talking about. Of course Airports are well designed to stop you walking in straight lines as it reduces the retail opportunities.

An Airport to Station link at Luton would be all travelators or transit and would not follow existing rights of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.