• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton DART and Luton Airport Parkway Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Maybe they should just open that to the public and use it as a nice direct walkway!!

Given the safety issues with the rest of it so far, would you trust them to have built that correctly? However that would be a great idea. Market it as an active travel route, promote it as the safest and greenest, carbon neutral route to the airport!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
The Ryanair approach

£1 for the direct route to the airport along the walkway
£10 is you want to upgrade to the Dart train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Ryanair approach

Good lord, don't give them ideas. I can just imagine there being contactless gatelines along the pavement outside the Ibis where it becomes a private road.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The Ryanair approach

You know, I'd actually pay the £1 for the walkway if it was any good. I'd also expect it to be looked after and well maintained, of course. If it was of a high quality, compared to the pavements at street level, I'd be all over that!

Plus you're forgetting that the Ryanair approach would be to plaster the walkway with adverts galore, and to demand an extra fee for taking luggage on the DART. Per item, at that! While they're at it, a duty free sales point would have to be present somewhere too!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am surprised they didn't put a shopping mall inside the DART. That's a few minutes of valuable retail opportunity being missed right there.

bluenoxid

Established Member
QR codes for lounges, fast pass and duty free offers on contravision adverts must be in with a shout.

smjxm09

There's an evacuation walkway for the whole length of the DART track too.
I took part in an evacuation trial using the walkway to a train on the other track. What was noteworthy is that disabled passengers in wheelchairs have to stay on the train as does passenger’s luggage.
Also for the most part, only small sections of the walkway are at carriage floor height but there was still an 18 inch gap.

smjxm09

The biggest issue is that with a railing running down the middle, the metal walkways are far too narrow to accommodate a wheelchair. There is also the issue of the gap and the drop where a small set of steps would have to be provided to reach the walkway. For the trial evacuation it was very convenient that the train stopped at a raised walkway level.

kingston_toon

Are we allowed to note this thing is going to cost the best part of a fiver each way? I try not to use Luton Airport THAT often but going forwards, when I do, I'll use the Arriva bus from the other side of the station for around half that price!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Are we allowed to note this thing is going to cost the best part of a fiver each way? I try not to use Luton Airport THAT often but going forwards, when I do, I'll use the Arriva bus from the other side of the station for around half that price!
You could read the thread and find that it's been mentioned at some length.

Snow1964

Established Member
Looks like they want volunteers to test new Luton airport Dart, first come first served applicants, bring an empty suitcase basis

that will open to the public later this year. But before inaugurating the new service, the airport is asking for volunteers to come try it out. According to My London, the assignment will be dealt out on a first come, first served basis, and trials will take place across the following dates:
  • Wednesday March 8 (09:00-13:00)
  • Monday March 13 (14:00-17:00)
  • Wednesday March 15 (09:00-13:00)
  • Saturday March 18 (09:00-13:00)
In order to simulate a proper air travel experience, participants are asked to bring one empty suitcase. They should also wear comfortable footwear as there might be quite a bit of waiting around - a reason perhaps why children under 12 are not allowed to tag along for the trials.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member

mrmartin

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously; but do we know what the thru fares are going to be yet? BRfares is showing no fares from St Pancras to Luton Airport Parkway Dart yet? Not long until it 'trial' opens?

snowball

Established Member
The Guardian has this:

Seven years in the making, Luton airport’s long-anticipated light rail link finally opens to passengers next week – a swift connection that has, somewhat unfairly, been billed as the most expensive train in Britain.

As airport bosses promised, the gleaming new £290m Dart shuttle from train to airport is a significant upgrade: accessed straight out of Luton Parkway railway station and replacing the bus that was needed between trains and the airport terminal. It brings the airport to within about a half hour’s total journey from central London on the fastest trains.

But at £4.90 for the 1,999 metre (1.25 miles) trip, the Luton Dart is pricey even by the standards of British rail fares (which increase by 5.9% this weekend). It appears to have ousted the notorious Heathrow Express transfer service as the most expensive by distance.

A flight from Luton to Palma this month on easyJet, at £56 return, comes in at roughly a hundredth of the Dart’s price a mile. Even the Orient Express from London to Venice – sleeping in a private cabin with steward service and sumptuous dining and fine wine included for the £4,500 ticket – only works out roughly double the price on mileage.

So are they making a killing on the Luton Dart? Graham Olver, the chief executive of Luton Rising, the council-owned company that runs the airport, argues not. “If you’re savvy, it’s £47.50 return for a family from central London. Blue badges holders, pensioners and airport workers go free.”

Olver urged a focus not on the cost but the value of the scheme: “We’re a massive social enterprise with a £2bn asset.”

According to East Midlands Railway, some advance tickets on the Luton Airport Express from London St Pancras, and including the Dart shuttle, will cost as little as £47.50 return for a family of four – substantially cheaper than other airport rail transfers from the capital.

Local residents will get a 50% discount, bringing the cost into line with the soon to be retired bus service.

Technically, the shuttle is not a train but a cable car, designed to cope with the rapid 40m ascent up the hillside to the airport. It is made and operated by the Doppelmayr Cable Car company, the same firm behind Boris Johnson’s £60m folly, a cable car over the Thames at docklands (distance o.6 miles, price £6).

The ride itself, tested by the Guardian in a preview trip on Friday, is a smooth 2 minutes 39 seconds, arcing gracefully upwards and curving over the A1081, on a bridge decorated with an ornamental crest emphasising this spectacular addition to the Luton skyline. The Dart dips underground to reach the airport, where passengers emerge from under an eye-catching canopy roof in yellow steel – “not gold-plated”, a spokesperson emphasises.

The fares will allow the Dart to break even, Olver said, with the cost of financing its construction as well as operations. It is part of an upgrade in infrastructure, including a possible second terminal, that could let Luton airport grow from 18 million to 33 million passengers a year.

Most importantly, as Olver and the leader of Luton borough council, Hazel Simmons, point out, any airport profits go to vital local services. Simmons said: “Our airport exists solely to support the town and people in it … I’m amazed and delighted that we have been able to bring something like this to Luton airport.”

The airport has funnelled £180m to the local community over the past 25 years. Each passenger earns Luton 53p.

How does the Dart compare?

Luton Dart £4.90 for 1.25 miles – £3.95 a mile

Heathrow Express £25 (£32 first) for 16.5 miles – £1.52 a mile (£1.94 in first class)

London Euston-Manchester Piccadilly £184 anytime single (£255 first) on Avanti for 161 miles – £1.14 (£1.58) a mile
Or if you really want to spend more …

London Underground’s Piccadilly Line, from Covent Garden to Leicester Square, is the shortest zone 1 stop at 250m. A single costs £2.50 – or £6.30 for a cash fare in peak time. If you insisted on using cash and travelling only the shortest stop, you could hit £40 a mile. (You can also do a single journey with Oyster on the longest hop, West Ruislip to Epping, 34.1 miles for £3.50 on the Central line or – changing trains to avoiding Zone 1 – £1.90, or £0.06 a mile.)

miklcct

On Moderation
If I buy a ticket now from my home station to "Luton Airport" will it be usable on the DART after the bus link is withdrawn?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If I buy a ticket now from my home station to "Luton Airport" will it be usable on the DART after the bus link is withdrawn?
The ticket is valid all the way to the airport, using whatever mode happens to be in operation at the time.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That's for the shuttle bus, there will be a new destination appearing shortly which is (IIRC) Luton Airport DART.

Trainfan344

Established Member
How is it planned to enforce the new destination, ate there barriers at either end or is there an onboard RPI

Haywain

Veteran Member
That's for the shuttle bus, there will be a new destination appearing shortly which is (IIRC) Luton Airport DART.
Just found it on BRFares; it is Luton Airport Parkway DART (LPD).

Tester

I have seen reports suggesting that either.....

1. ENCTS* will be valid on DART, or.....

2. Only Luton area resident pensioners will receive free travel

2. seems much more likely than 1. - does anyone know the definitive answer?

* ENCTS - English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (providing free travel for elderly/disabled people in some circumstances)

[Edited to clarify meaning of ENCTS]

Last edited:

spag23

On Moderation
Thameslink Ticket website is offering a (railcarded) single to LUA (the airport) for £2.35 more than my fare from St Albans City to LTN (Luton Parkway).
It even specifies "changing trains" onto a Thameslink service for the final leg.
But this is for today, so maybe the "train" is actually the "preplacement" bus!

Status
Not open for further replies.